Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Month Follow-Up Revision

Hello folks,
    Just got my six month checkup. I've been having severe spasms on the right side of my spine, radiating up from my shoulder blades up into my neck. Nothing worse than a "charley horse" in those neck muscles. Just want to take my head off and put it on the floor. Dr Floyd said my back muscles are inflamed due to the top of the rod rubbing those muscles. He said to give it six months, maybe it will heal. So, new meds, Ativan, .5 mg, every 8 hours as needed for spasm. I'm feeling kind of numb, since he removed about 4" of the rod when he repaired T3 fracture. Thought that would take care of the muscles spasms I was having. I guess worst case scenario would be in March 2010 he might recommend removal of the rod. So, I'll wait and see how my muscles heal. Will be away from the forum for two weeks, while I visit mom and sis in San Antonio, TX, where I grew up. At least I can take the Ativan as needed since I won't be driving. I will try to check in periodically, just to see how everyone else is faring! I'm trying to stay in today, not get too far ahead of myself, and again, taking one day at a time!
    Last edited by lapieper; 09-03-2009, 04:54 PM.
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Originally posted by lapieper View Post
    Hello folks,
    Just got my six month checkup. I've been having severe spasms on the right side of my spine, radiating up from my shoulder blades up into my neck. Nothing worse than a "charley horse" in those neck muscles. Just want to take my head off and put it on the floor. Dr Floyd said my back muscles are inflamed due to the top of the rod rubbing those muscles. He said to give it six months, maybe it will heal. So, new meds, Ativan, .5 mg, every 8 hours as needed for spasm. I'm feeling kind of numb, since he removed about 4" of the rod when he repaired T3 fracture. Thought that would take care of the muscles spasms I was having. I guess worst case scenario would be in March 2010 he might recommend removal of the rod. So, I'll wait and see how my muscles heal. Will be away from the forum for two weeks, while I visit mom and sis in San Antonio, TX, where I grew up. At least I can take the Ativan as needed since I won't be driving. I will try to check in periodically, just to see how everyone else is faring! I'm trying to stay in today, not get too far ahead of myself, and again, taking one day at a time!
    Les,

good luck with your spasms quieting down. I will be one year post op in October, and (KNOCK ON WOOD) my spasms have been pretty under control the last month. When I feel even the slightest START of one, I take a muscle relaxant, and I haven't had to do so very often lately.

Have a good trip,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe, Thanks for the hope. I really needed that today.
      Lesley
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
      X