The other shoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Not sure what to say.

I guess all of us parents know that it is a possibility that surgery will be required.

It's just scarry when you actually see it happen to someone you know and chat with on the forum.

My concern for your daughter is both sincere but also a bit self-centered as we have our follow-up appointment tomorrow and have anxiety about what we may be told.

Comment

Originally posted by WNCmom View Post
      Sharon--

It seems everyone here has already said it all, but I want to chime in. I know you were waiting for this and I think you and your daughters are prepared--if we ever really can be for such surgery. Although it does interfere with the beginning of high school, no doubt it is better (for that reason, as well as others) to do it now than later in the year.

We'll be here for you through the surgery, as you have been for us. As you know, it won't be long.

Mary Ellen
      Thanks so Mary Ellen. I'm glad you are still around and posting.

I have felt an inevitability of Willow's surgery and I had a real fear the bracing would just postpone it into adulthood even if it worked.

I can't prove it has postponed surgery and I can't prove (now) that the brace would not have worked to avoid surgery over her lifetime. I'm just saying all things considered, the type of scoliosis she likely has, I think this is a good outcome for now and in the long term for Willow.

Thanks again.

sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
        Wow! Not sure what to say.

I guess all of us parents know that it is a possibility that surgery will be required.

It's just scary when you actually see it happen to someone you know and chat with on the forum.

My concern for your daughter is both sincere but also a bit self-centered as we have our follow-up appointment tomorrow and have anxiety about what we may be told.
        Good luck at the follow-up CD. All cases are different and there is always hope.

Savannah had a very fast-moving curve from day one. Willow's was alternatively stable and progressive both in and out of brace. As Pam says, some curves move when they want. My girls don't seem typical of the testimonials here. I think this conclusion was set way back when their sclera turned bluish as infants. I didn't realize it then but I'm knowledgeable and ready now to handle this.

I'll be thinking of you and you daughter, CD.

Best regards,
        sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I haven't been on lately, just peek in every now and then...so sorry to hear your other daughter will need surgery also. Hard enough to deal with one surgery, now two. I can well imagine how you feel as we may be facing the same thing in the future, at least you will be better prepared/experienced this time around. I hope Willlow's surgery and recovery will go as smoothly as Savannah's.

Renee

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower View Post
            Hi Sharon,

I haven't been on lately, just peek in every now and then...so sorry to hear your other daughter will need surgery also. Hard enough to deal with one surgery, now two. I can well imagine how you feel as we may be facing the same thing in the future, at least you will be better prepared/experienced this time around. I hope Willlow's surgery and recovery will go as smoothly as Savannah's.

Renee
            Thanks, Renee.

I know you are in the same boat but your son will hopefully avoid surgery. Most cases do not reach surgical territory.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by jillw View Post
              Sharon, I wish there had been no more progression once she stopped wearing the brace - I'm sorry to hear it's not the case. The fact that Willow has had a say in her treatment all along must make this outcome more bearable and less frightening. I'm glad the surgery is fairly soon so she won't have long to agonize and am very glad that Savannah's recovery was so smooth (a good role model). Hopefully she'll also have a quick, seamless recovery. Good luck to Willow!
              Didn't see this one!

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Jill.

I just hope she gets the quick recovery Savannah had. It helps that Savannah was saying she was glad to have the surgery within a short time of being home. But I think Willow might just assume she will have the same recovery trajectory and you really can't know those things ahead of time.

Thanks again.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka1 -

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter Willow. While you are graced with knowing how this goes and what to expect, still, I can imagine it is still difficult.
                I am glad she got a fast surgery date, and am certain she will have a wonderful and speedy recovery. The fact her sister can truly understand I think and hope will be a great blessing.

I know I have not been around much since we first chatted last month. Been busy preparing for my little ones surgery next month. I am happy to say that because of you and other parents on here I have more confidence going into this. Please know that we are all thinking of you and Willow.

Jules

Mother of Khya, diagnosed 2 weeks ago with a thoracic curve of 61*. Hoping to have surgery this Sept at Emanuel Children's Hospital.

Comment

Jules,

Thanks for the note.

I read your profile... you are on the whirlwind tour of scoliosis I see! That must be hard to digest in so short a time.

For me, my confidence in the surgeon and the no-choice aspect were key things that got me through Savannah's surgery.

For Willow, the hope for the same result Savannah's got will get me through this. Savannah has her life back. I didn't worry about her future as much as I worried about Willow's. Hopefully soon I can stop worrying about Willow's future in that was also.

You and your daughter will get through this too.

Good luck.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon,
                    Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and Willow.
                    I ditto Mary Ellen. It's a difficult time, but you are prepared, in good hands and know what you're battling.
                    You know we're here...
                    Best of luck
                    Bethany

Comment

Originally posted by babachi View Post
                      Hi Sharon,
                      Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and Willow.
                      I ditto Mary Ellen. It's a difficult time, but you are prepared, in good hands and know what you're battling.
                      You know we're here...
                      Best of luck
                      Bethany
                      Thanks, Bethany. It helps having folks here.

I hope Jesse is doing well.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon,

I'm so sorry to read this news. It has to be so hard to see your kid go through this--and you, 2x over. At least Willow will have a good role model and moral support in her sister.

I hope that all goes as smoothly for Willow as it did for Savanah.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey Debbei,

Thanks for the kind words.

Willow is remarkably upbeat about it. She wants this episode behind her and she wants to look and feel like her sister.

If Willow gets the same result I promise I can die happy.

Just have to get through one more... that's what I keep telling myself.

I'm taking Mary Ellen's advice more seriously this time... eat well, drink enough liquids, etc.. I can't do much about the 'round the clock stuff but I can try to sleep better in-between getting up. I think I won't have so much of a constant knot in my stomach over wondering about the unknown this time. At least I hope so though it may be inevitable.

What will ultimately get me through again is the confidence in our surgeon which knows no bounds.

Thanks again,
                          sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                          X