The other shoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The other shoe

Well my brave little Willow is in surgery territory now. She will be fused in early October. Probably the same levels as Savannah, T4 - L1. Her lumbar straightened almost completely upon bending so it's still flexible.

I told the surgeon Willow had stopped wearing the brace in April and that I didn't push back at all on that decision for several reasons I have stated here.

He asked her why she stopped wearing it and she said it stopped fitting correctly. I can only assume this is when her curve started to move again. We know the curve has moved in brace (8* in one six-month period) so that's why I think it started moving again at this time. She was wearing it daily until then.

Of course it could have started moving again because she stopped wearing the brace. We will never know but I still think it was a rational decision on her part. Had there been a better chance of success or a better picture from the literature I would have pushed back.

He assured both Willow and myself that there was never more than a small chance of the brace working. He didn't elaborate but I can guess why from literature and especially as it concerns bracing in general for Marfans related scoliosis (she hasn't been diagnosed with Marfans but she has a hypermobility diagnosis), among other considerations.

Both she and I had been prepared for this since the time when she still progressed from 32* to 40* despite wearing the brace as directly. If I had any hope before that episode, most of it vanished after. It seems reasonable to suggest the brace may have delayed the surgery which in this case is not optimal... she starts high school tomorrow.

But speaking of school, I am not on the ledge about that as much as with Savannah now that I saw her recovery rate. That of course is no guarantee Willow will be back in school at the same time but it gives me hope. She'll be okay any road.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Hi SHaron...

Sorry to hear this. I hope the surgery and recovery go as smoothly as it did with Savannah.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks so much, Linda.

I appreciate the thought. I can at least have a credible hope her recovery will be as smooth.

It's amazing. She cried her eyes out when Savannah needed surgery but was okay for her own case. They are so close... it will be good to have Savannah help her through recovery... she understands.

She did say half of her was glad to get be able to look better now that she started rotating a bit. It is nowhere near as rotated as Savannah but she sees it of course.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I just want to echo Linda's sentiments - I'm sorry to hear this news but hopeful that Willow will come through the surgery as well as Savannah did.

Keep us posted.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

sad/or happy ????

Pooka1,

I didn't know whether to be sad or relieved since I know the "watching and waiting" wasn't something you enjoyed. I feel very hopeful Willow will fare as well as Savannah...

I was shocked and saddened when I read your news tonight(Monday)....but Scoliosis is so famous for bringing bad news with it.....

Sometimes I wish my daughter could just "get it over with" so to speak.

I'm glad Willow will have her sister to help her through it.....and you of course..

All the best,
          HOPE

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Sorry to hear that Willow needs surgery after all. At least this time you and she will have a very good idea what to expect post-op and recovery, which I imagine would help. And I know that although you were hoping to avoid this, it is not completely unexpected. Curious, how is Savannah taking the news?

I support you in your decisions regarding Willow and her brace. You have nothing to regret. Really, Willow should be commended for wearing the brace as long as she did with only a small hope it would prevent surgery. I think it would seem extremely unjust to a teenager to struggle through wearing a brace and then be told they needed surgery anyway. I am sure she will do well with surgery and recovery, but I hope you will not leave us here after that! Please keep us posted.

Take care,
            Last edited by leahdragonfly; 08-24-2009, 10:48 PM.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Sharon

Ohh, this news makes it so difficult to post comedy. But then again, its no surprise....

Poor things, I remember how terrified I was back when I was a kid and the Docs were talking surgery. Its way worse doing these things as a child than as an adult. I don't normally post to parents due to my memories, those were a period of major change for me. I had many difficult decisions to make on my own.

I know that Willow will be just fine. She has one heck of a support team with the brave and experienced Savannah who paved the way, and of course, yours truly who deserves the NSF parent researcher of the year award.

I'm sure that Willows mind is quite preoccupied right now..............

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sharon,

I'm so sorry to hear that Willow needs surgery, although I know she will be fine and have a great recovery. I can't imagine going through this with a 2nd child but you seem so strong and your daughters are very lucky to have you there for them.

You have my best wishes and any support possible on this forum. It's times like this that I wish I was closer to everyone and could meet to offer real support like it seems a lot of people do on the East Coast.
                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                  Hi Sharon,

I just want to echo Linda's sentiments - I'm sorry to hear this news but hopeful that Willow will come through the surgery as well as Savannah did.

Keep us posted.
                  Thanks so much Maria.

I'm glad we have a surgical date just about a month away and not further.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hope404 View Post
                    Pooka1,

I didn't know whether to be sad or relieved since I know the "watching and waiting" wasn't something you enjoyed. I feel very hopeful Willow will fare as well as Savannah...

I was shocked and saddened when I read your news tonight(Monday)....but Scoliosis is so famous for bringing bad news with it.....

Sometimes I wish my daughter could just "get it over with" so to speak.

I'm glad Willow will have her sister to help her through it.....and you of course..

All the best,
                    HOPE
                    Very kind of you to say, Hope.

You're right it is mixed. I could not sleep last night at all but curiously I feel okay this morning. We are just lucky they can fix her. And if something goes wrong they can revise it. And if she has problems way down the road then they will be able to fix that even better. It could be worse.

If they ever develop Marfans I will be very grateful for the scoliosis as that diagnosis would have literally saved their lives.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                      Hi Sharon,

Sorry to hear that Willow needs surgery after all. At least this time you and she will have a very good idea what to expect post-op and recovery, which I imagine would help. And I know that although you were hoping to avoid this, it is not completely unexpected. Curious, how is Savannah taking the news?
                      Savannah, by chance, was with us on this visit and that was very good. They were able to talk amongst themselves. I didn't belong in that. Neither girl seemed too shaken.

Previously, the worse was ~1.5 years ago when they were both in the exam room and Savannah was told she needed fusion. Savaanah never broke but Willow could NOT gather herself for the rest of that consult. She cried for at least 10 minutes, unable to stop while I'm trying to figure out what to ask the surgeon at that point. She only was able to stop a minutes after we left the office and were driving in the van. I have never seen her lose it like that before or since. They are very close.

I support you in your decisions regarding Willow and her brace. You have nothing to regret. Really, Willow should be commended for wearing the brace as long as she did with only a small hope it would prevent surgery. I think it would seem extremely unjust to a teenager to struggle through wearing a brace and then be told they needed surgery anyway. I am sure she will do well with surgery and recovery, but I hope you will not leave us here after that! Please keep us posted.
                      I knew you would dig it, Gayle. I was not aware of the state of the science when Willow got the brace. The surgeon said he thought it worth at least a try thought there was never more than a small chance it would work for her. He said he never would have given her a 23 hr/day brace because of that.

Still, my heart sank when she was told she needs fusion coincident with discontinuing the brace. I was worried she would think she made a horrible decision. I realize that is an emotional response rather than an intellectual one but it still happened. But there is some reason that brace stopped fitting. And we know she moved more than 1* a month in brace and that was immediately after a 6 month period of stability. That may have been when I started questioning the brace in my mind.

Moving forward. Always.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Sharon

Ohh, this news makes it so difficult to post comedy. But then again, its no surprise....

Poor things, I remember how terrified I was back when I was a kid and the Docs were talking surgery. Its way worse doing these things as a child than as an adult. I don't normally post to parents due to my memories, those were a period of major change for me. I had many difficult decisions to make on my own.

I know that Willow will be just fine. She has one heck of a support team with the brave and experienced Savannah who paved the way, and of course, yours truly who deserves the NSF parent researcher of the year award.

I'm sure that Willows mind is quite preoccupied right now..............

Ed
                        Ti Ed, I can always count on you to dig stuff.

Thanks for your kind words but thee are others here who have done much more reading in this area than I. I have merely made a small dent, hopefully enough to have made the right decisions along the way.

sharon
                        Last edited by Pooka1; 08-25-2009, 06:54 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by laurieg6 View Post
                          Sharon,

I'm so sorry to hear that Willow needs surgery, although I know she will be fine and have a great recovery. I can't imagine going through this with a 2nd child but you seem so strong and your daughters are very lucky to have you there for them.

You have my best wishes and any support possible on this forum. It's times like this that I wish I was closer to everyone and could meet to offer real support like it seems a lot of people do on the East Coast.
                          Very kind of you to say, Laurie. I appreciate it.

I feel better prepared this time though there are no guarantees it will go the same.

And I have gotten far more out of this forum than I have contributed. It's made a difference to me. Thanks to all.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Sharon--

It seems everyone here has already said it all, but I want to chime in. I know you were waiting for this and I think you and your daughters are prepared--if we ever really can be for such surgery. Although it does interfere with the beginning of high school, no doubt it is better (for that reason, as well as others) to do it now than later in the year.

We'll be here for you through the surgery, as you have been for us. As you know, it won't be long.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Sharon, I wish there had been no more progression once she stopped wearing the brace - I'm sorry to hear it's not the case. The fact that Willow has had a say in her treatment all along must make this outcome more bearable and less frightening. I'm glad the surgery is fairly soon so she won't have long to agonize and am very glad that Savannah's recovery was so smooth (a good role model). Hopefully she'll also have a quick, seamless recovery. Good luck to Willow!
                              daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                              -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                              -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                              -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
                              X