Acne on back and odds and ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acne on back and odds and ends

My dd has developed a bad case of acne on her back. She's due to have surgery next month and I'm concerned about infection because she has this acne. I only discovered it a week ago and we've been trying to keep the area clean. It does look better than it did just a week ago, but she's still got some big pimples on her back.

Also, what kind of meals did your teens have the night before surgery? I've heard some people go all out on junk food while others don't. I'm thinking that she shouldn't have something heavy sitting in her stomach before getting general anesthesia. I know she's not supposed to eat anything after midnight, but any meal suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Good point about the acne--I think it is worth a phone call to the surgeon's office to ask, and maybe the pediatrician as well. Seems like maybe some antibiotics to clear it up would be helpful especially since they are implanting hardware...I would definitely call soon and ask.

Good luck!
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 08-26-2009, 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I do plan to ask her GP when she goes in for her check up on Thursday.

Any natural remedies that anyone can think of? My daughter is highly allergic to antibiotics (right now there's only 2-3 she's been cleared to take by her allergist).

TIA again!

Comment

My son got very good results just by taking off his shirt and lying out in the sun every day. He had truly terrible acne on his back and arms that has cleared up after a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
          My dd has developed a bad case of acne on her back. She's due to have surgery next month and I'm concerned about infection because she has this acne. I only discovered it a week ago and we've been trying to keep the area clean. It does look better than it did just a week ago, but she's still got some big pimples on her back.

Also, what kind of meals did your teens have the night before surgery? I've heard some people go all out on junk food while others don't. I'm thinking that she shouldn't have something heavy sitting in her stomach before getting general anesthesia. I know she's not supposed to eat anything after midnight, but any meal suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey

Am sorry to have to worry you like this but i was in the same boat as your daughter and my surgeon wouldnt touch me with a barge pole until the spots were completly clear . i only had 2 spots and about 5 little red crustentions .. and he said he wouldnt operate until they were clear due to infection of metel work i was terrible upset and had to be reffered to the dermotoligist to get roocauttane a very strong spot tablet that you only need 6 weeks course of treatment quite a few side effects to them but the main point of taking them was to clear the way for surgery a few mths later i had my surgery he still was concerned as he came around the morning of surgery and checked my back even though it was clear as a whitstle .

please please check with your surgeon email him some pics or try to go to see him and also with antibiotics from the gp they take yp to 6 weeks to get into your system ...

sorry for my post
          just wanted to be honest with you

best wishes

Simon

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate your honesty.

Comment

Heard from the surgeon's office and he does want her back to be clear before surgery.

So we will see if that happens in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
                Heard from the surgeon's office and he does want her back to be clear before surgery.

So we will see if that happens in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

Am so sorry to hear that ... its for the best as you really dont wont to get a infection in metel work as that would be undoing all the good work that the surgeon would of done in the first place ..

Lets hope it clears up soon if not try asking your gp for a urgent referall to the dermitogilly clinic asap ..

Regards

Comment

She will see her gp tomorrow (was supposed to be for pre-op physical). The surgeon also will see her next week.

She's already had surgery postponed once b/c she became anemic after a blood donation for surgery, and we had to get her iron reserves built back up. Now it may be put off again b/c of this acne.

But I keep telling her (and me), to hang in there. The surgery will happen when it happens.

Thanks again!

Comment

I'm sorry about the possibility of postponing the surgery.

I had a posterior-only surgery, and as far as what she can eat, I was told that I had no restrictions up until midnight the night before. I ate (what I could) of a regular dinner. We stayed overnight near the hospital, so we ate at a diner and I was able to choke down some of it. I think I was just too nervous to eat much.

Good luck with getting the back cleared up.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                    X