stomach problems after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach problems after surgery?

In the last month I've had worsening stomach problems. I can't eat much (which I'm OK with right now as long as i don't lose too much more weight) and CONSTANTLY feel nauseous. I stopped taking Tramadol and am taking a really low dose of Gabapentin compared to what I was on. I cannot stand this feeling anymore and my family is tired of hearing about it. I also stopped taking my thyroid medication as that is when the symptoms started. So, I really don't understand what is causing this. Any ideas???My dr. is at a loss as well????

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Hi Colleen
    have been on thyroid meds from lots of different manufacturers (including current "all natural" ones from hormone dr in CA) for 30 years & have NEVER had nausea from any of them...only meds make me sick to my stomach are pain meds...most of the prescription ones make me sick....tho i need to take them anyway..

hope you feel better soon
    jess

Comment

Hi Colleen
      I take thyroid hormone too. I know you are not supposed to stop taking it because you need it to live. I would guess that if you are taking narcotic pain meds such as Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Hydrocodone etc. that might be the source of your decreased appetite and nausea.
      I can't believe your doctor would be ok with just stopping your thyroid med w/o checking blood levels. Well that's my 2 cents! Hope it helps.
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

yogurt is great for getting your stomach back in working order after surgery or taking antibiotics. Make sure it has active cultures so it can restore the natural bacteria to your stomach.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
          Hi Colleen
          I take thyroid hormone too. I know you are not supposed to stop taking it because you need it to live. I would guess that if you are taking narcotic pain meds such as Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Hydrocodone etc. that might be the source of your decreased appetite and nausea.
          I can't believe your doctor would be ok with just stopping your thyroid med w/o checking blood levels. Well that's my 2 cents! Hope it helps.
          Actually, my dr. (primary) doesn't know I stopped (shame on me). My levels were low but not dangerously low and he was hoping that by putting me on the meds that my energy level might increase (not!). I am NOT on any of the good pain meds anymore...just Tylenol and Gabapentin (although I finally did take a Tramadol tonight because I was in horrible pain). Not sure that is smart either.

I do go in to see my dr. (primary) next week. He's the one monitoring my meds. I saw my surgeon last week and he told me just to try to get off the meds (with Tramadol being first). So, I've been self-tapering. BUT my nausea continues ...and is actually getting worse...to the point I don't even WANT to eat EVER. I force myself to eat a little with my family but don't enjoy it (like I used to

I'm thinking I should change my name from "always smilin" to always griping

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi Colleen,

I was only on Tramacet (a Tramadol/Tylenol compound) for 4 or 5 days when I herniated a disc and I was nauseous for a week after I stopped taking it. Apparently, it's harder for some of us to taper off. I tried to stop completely after taking them regularly (and remember, I'd only been on them a few days), but felt awful, so changed to taking one 7 hours later, then 8 hours later, then 9 (you get the picture). Even doing that, I still went through some nausea when I stopped completely. Eventually though, the nausea went away.

If you've been on them since your surgery, I would imagine it will be even more difficult for you. Maybe there is something your doctor can give you to help you with this. Hope you feel better soon!

- Sarah
            - 39 years old
            - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
            - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
            - Harrington rod
            - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
            - New mommy as of February 2011
            - Second child - September 2013
            - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Tramadol

Maybe weaning off of the Tramadol is causing problems. What is this drug for! Look up on Drugs.com or another site about withdrawal from that. I'm just sayin because when I started a process of withdrawing from Lexapro I went cold turkey and became real sick physically and mentally! Its a terrrible drug to withdraw from. So if Tramadol is that way, consult your dr. Good luck again!!!
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

stomach problems after surgery

I developed gallstones. I had that white IV feeding for a week between my 2 stages. That is notorious for allowing gallstones to form because the gallbladder "rests' when one doesn't eat, gets sluggish and stones form.
                Please get checked out by a gastroenterologist. Thyroid medication is very important. Tramadol can cause nausea in some people but it goes away when stopped. An ultrasound showed my stones. I just couldn't face the thought of having the gallbladder out at the time and ended up in the hospital with gallbladder pancreatitis-very serious.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i second karen's idea for a gastroenterologist! pain meds like oxycontin make me nauseous to point of losing another 5 pounds that i cant afford to lose...but you could have almost anything wrong in your stomach...think you need a dr who can investigate it..

best of luck
                  jess

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input...sure gives me some ideas! I love this board!

Always Smilin'
                    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                    right thoracic 57
                    lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi Colleen,

Is your stomach sore to touch or is the stomach pain more nausea related?

I had my op in May and for the last few weeks have been alot of pain around my belly button area. Not sure whther its all part of the healing process as one of my scars starts/ends about 2.5" from my belly button.

goodluck and hope you start to feel better soon.
                      Rhonda (kaizan)
                      diagnosed aged 12, boston brace 12 months
                      curve 69 degree T12 to L4.
                      Posterior fusion T4 to L3? with Post/Ant rods. 22 May 09:

Comment

Mine is more nausea...my hubby notices I don't eat much either. I did finally call my surgeon (or rather his nurse), a pharmacist, and went in to see my primary again. Apparently stopping cold turkey was NOT in my best interest as I had horrendous withdrawal. Amazing since none of the drugs I was on was "supposed" to be addicting. I am tapering now but I am still very nauseous. It will take me a few more weeks to be drug free but hopefully then I will not be nauseous. I am back on the thyroid medication. I did look Tramadol up...interesting that it reacts negatively with other meds that I'm on and NO one caught it until I pointed it out! I do not have belly button pain just nausea and total lack of interest in food.

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

Comment

Probably your meds should be taken with food... so if you aren't eating, betcha that's making your nausea worse. I know it's a no-win cycle... but if you are tapering off, things are bound to get better. Hoping for the best for you!!

Comment

Working...
                          X