Incision Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incision Concerns

Can anyone share how long the incision takes to heal? My son, who is 14 years old and has multiple disabilities, had an anterior and posterior spinal fusion (July 10th and July 24th), and it looks like he has developed some bruising around the lower part of the incision which was not there previously.

Yesterday he sat up in bed (about 70 degrees) most of the day, but was in a great deal of pain last night. Prior to this, he had some days where he only sat up to eat meals (about 20 minutes), and other days he where he would sit up for about 1-2 hours twice a day. His dressing has been clean, but this evening there was one little spot of blood around the lower back - L4, L5 - where his meylo (Spina Bifida) scar is. I have been keeping his incision covered lightly during the day due to excessive sweating (especially in the diaper area) - but am leaving it air out at night. Any shared experiences would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi

I removed all of my daughter's dressing at 4 weeks post op and it was completely closed up. I think at 2 weeks they're allowed a shower, so my guess is it should be closed by then. I never noticed any bruising or bleeding anywhere along the incision. You should probably call the office to check.

Comment

Thank you Sherie. It looks much better this morning. May I ask, what type of dressing did your daughter have on? Did she have Steri-strips as well? We are using abdominal pads and surgical tape (only lightly due to adhesive allergies). Along the bottom I am putting a piece of Tegaderm Film to prevent anything from the diaper area getting into the incision.

Comment

Oh good, glad to hear it's looking better.

She had steri-strips. They were adhered extremely well, I had to pull them off 2 or 3 at a time because it caused her much discomfort. I didn't use anything afterwards because her incision looked very good by then.

Take care

Comment

Working...
        X