Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news from appointment today!

Results and News from my Appointment at Ortho Hospital Birmingham UK

First off what a lovely consultant he was .. Had full xrays and blood Taken Seen Mr Marks Also As he was in the room when i went in, New Boy V Old School It was, Hahahahahaha

This is what They Said .. Not Good but a at least i know whats going on now, but then carnt belive this has happened also ..

1. Mr Williamson My surgeon over-corrected me, which happens in 10% of cases following kyphosis surgery.

2. Because of this, I have developed junctional kyphosis above My fusion, as My body tries to adjust to the fact that Am out of sagittal alignment. The junctional kyphosis has happened to try to get My head balanced over your sacrum as it should be.

3. The sagittal imbalance is probably causing My low-back pain.

4. There is a possibility that you have a level of pseudarthrosis in your spine, possibly caused by the fact I smoked after the fusion surgery.(Yes I Know What ya Thinking) You need a CT scan to confirm this, but metal instrumentation in the spine can distort the image.

5. Mr Gardiner suggested that there are two surgical options for me. The first would be to extend the fusion into your neck to sort the junctional kyphosis. The second involves removing the hardware you have and seeing if there is a level of pseudarthrosis. If there is, this level could be used as a "pivot-point" to put some of the natural kyphosis back into my spine, using new hardware. If you are solidly fused, removing all of the hardware and not replacing it could let your back settle a bit and give you back a bit of a curve.

But Before they make a decision they are getting all my operation notes from hope hospital and also having Ct and Mri scans on the same day as i live like 120 miles away ..

Not Sure what to think really , Am confused to why i got over-corrected in the first place . I never got told that this could be a risk in surgery , and also people have commented on how dam Straight I am .
    Am Also worried what effect this is going to have on my neck and also How big are thease surgerys Are going to be . Feel like am back to square 1 again !!

Simon

That's not what any of us would want to hear. I'm so sorry Simon. There are some very knowledgeable people here who might be able to give some sound advice/support.

I just want to wish you well. I hope you'll let us know how you go.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Simon
      so sorry to hear of your post op troubles...please get another opinion, & be very careful about fusion at neck level....

hope you can see at least one or two other doctors to find out all your possible ways of treating the problem...& wish you only the best results....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
        Hi Simon
        so sorry to hear of your post op troubles...please get another opinion, & be very careful about fusion at neck level....

hope you can see at least one or two other doctors to find out all your possible ways of treating the problem...& wish you only the best results....

jess
        Hey thanks for your replys , this is the 2nd opinion as the surgeon who done my first surgery is a excellent surgeon and cause i never went back to him is that i i seen him in january and he thought the cause of my back pain was might be a infection so i had blood taken but then never heard from them in ages .. so i ask for a 2nd opinion am am glad in a way as i know were my pain is coming from ..

And could anyone tell me of the disadvanders of neck fusion i am thinking best option is hardwere removel to get a tiny bit more curve in my spine ..

Comment

I just know that a colleague at work had it done & warned me to "never let anyone fuse you"...

she also said she felt so restricted with not being able to turn her head even a little...so i just wanted to give you a warning..but if it were the option recommended by several doctors, then you will just have to decide...my colleague was just one person with one experience...

is there anyone who has had it done that you could talk to??

good luck with whatever you decide
          jess

Comment

Hi Simon

I've looked at your x-rays and pics and can see how much your neck must hurt. You know its not an easy thing for the surgeons to do, to have to build your construct with kyphotic and lordotic curves and then try to maintain saggital balance to boot. Its complicated, and dangerous and this is something that we all need to understand.

I was just wondering how your neck feels when you lay down on your back, using no pillow. Do you get relief this way? I wonder if a little vertical traction might give some relief?

I've had some minor stiff neck issues, and realized that it was from sleeping on my stomach. I know your neck pains are way worse, I sure hope that you can try to adjust somehow to your new situation, and come to a resolution.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to e-mail your saggital x-rays to Twin cities or University of Washington or a scoliosis teaching school. Maybe if 100 surgeons looked at it all at once in a seminar, it could be a beneficial thing.

The fusing up your neck is an extremely difficult decision......... I don't think that any decision right now should be done quickly. This will take some time and some thought.

If you read my posts you will see some pretty crappy humor. Its one of the complications of scoliosis surgery, not many of us have this issue, I'm probably the first. LOL
            Best wishes
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Simon,

I'm sorry you are in the situation you are. I'm just curious, have you thought to ask any of the doctors if they could extend the fusion to say T2, instead of into the cervical area?

My daughter too developed junctional Kyphosis after her surgery. Jamie has never had pain from her junctional Kyphosis. Her doctor discovered it within a month or so after surgery. We watched it for a few months, at which time I could physically see the changes from one appointment to the next. At one point the doctor said we needed to extend her fusion into her cervical area. Jamie and I weren't ready for that and we asked if we could wait util the next appointment to see if things changed or not and if they did, we'd discuss surgery. I am so glad I asked him to wait! At the next appointment, the Kyphosis had stopped progressing, so no further surgery was needed. The doctor did tell Jamie that if she develops pain, she should consider surgery.

Hang in there. Ask a ton of questions and get as many opinions as you feel you need to make an informed decision.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Simon,

I just want to say I am thinking about you and hope you find relief. Life unfairly burdens some folks more than others.

I have a general confidence that these guys can fix most anything. You have a few options now... at least one will work.

Best regards,

sharon
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Hi Simon

I've looked at your x-rays and pics and can see how much your neck must hurt. You know its not an easy thing for the surgeons to do, to have to build your construct with kyphotic and lordotic curves and then try to maintain saggital balance to boot. Its complicated, and dangerous and this is something that we all need to understand.

I was just wondering how your neck feels when you lay down on your back, using no pillow. Do you get relief this way? I wonder if a little vertical traction might give some relief?

I've had some minor stiff neck issues, and realized that it was from sleeping on my stomach. I know your neck pains are way worse, I sure hope that you can try to adjust somehow to your new situation, and come to a resolution.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to e-mail your saggital x-rays to Twin cities or University of Washington or a scoliosis teaching school. Maybe if 100 surgeons looked at it all at once in a seminar, it could be a beneficial thing.

The fusing up your neck is an extremely difficult decision......... I don't think that any decision right now should be done quickly. This will take some time and some thought.

If you read my posts you will see some pretty crappy humor. Its one of the complications of scoliosis surgery, not many of us have this issue, I'm probably the first. LOL
                  Best wishes
                  Ed
                  Hey thanks for your relpy

Funny you should say about about the issue with no pillow , i have never tried it but i will tonight and get back to you with a answer to you .

With reagrds to a email being sent i live in the uk so i wouldnt know were to start with a email i am so rubbishe with writing emails and wouldnt know how to address it ut its a fantastic idea to do .. anybody like to do this for me lol ..?

I thank you again for your replys it means a great deal to hear . its a big descison for me first off is mri and ct scan they are booked in for the 21st of next mth then i have to ring for a appointment .

I am thinking that hardwere removel would be so much better than fusion of the cervical neck as that would give my back a bit more of a natrol curve .

WHat is cervical traction ?
                  Last edited by sibowainwright; 08-25-2009, 12:37 PM. Reason: x

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                    Simon,

I'm sorry you are in the situation you are. I'm just curious, have you thought to ask any of the doctors if they could extend the fusion to say T2, instead of into the cervical area?

My daughter too developed junctional Kyphosis after her surgery. Jamie has never had pain from her junctional Kyphosis. Her doctor discovered it within a month or so after surgery. We watched it for a few months, at which time I could physically see the changes from one appointment to the next. At one point the doctor said we needed to extend her fusion into her cervical area. Jamie and I weren't ready for that and we asked if we could wait util the next appointment to see if things changed or not and if they did, we'd discuss surgery. I am so glad I asked him to wait! At the next appointment, the Kyphosis had stopped progressing, so no further surgery was needed. The doctor did tell Jamie that if she develops pain, she should consider surgery.

Hang in there. Ask a ton of questions and get as many opinions as you feel you need to make an informed decision.

Mary Lou
                    Thank you snoopy for your reply also ..
                    Am so glad that your daughter didnt have to have more surgery
                    Was she getting really bad neck ache mine is awfull at the moment all my left side and constant knawing of my neck every min or every day ... driving me mad .

I am not taking any stronger painkillers than 8/500 co-codamol . as the higher strengh make me feel yukkkk

I do have fentynaol patches but i dont want to put them on either ..

I carnt take anti- inflamms due to a ulcer i devolped after taking them for so many years .

x

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      Simon,

I just want to say I am thinking about you and hope you find relief. Life unfairly burdens some folks more than others.

I have a general confidence that these guys can fix most anything. You have a few options now... at least one will work.

Best regards,

sharon

Thanks sharon

I enjoy reading your posts ..on the other forum ,,

Much love x

Comment

Working...
                      X