Update on Katelyn - Trunk shifting and future pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I haven't been back on since last posting---

laurieg6, I think your son and my daughter had their surgeries relatively close to each other. On my daughter's xray, if you drew a straight line from the center of her pelvis up through her skull, the line would end up through her eye (and you clearly see that the upper spine, although straight, is not on the line). She shifts just below where the fusion was. I read your other post, and we have seen and been referred to several revision doctors, right now, we're waiting. She definitely leans to the right, which can be straightened up by the bending of her right knee. Had a great deal of examination on whether it was leg length discrepancy, everyone has agreed it is not.

smilesky, my daughter's shift was actually worse when she first stood up after her surgery. Lumbar was 53ish prior but thought to be compensating (I think, can't believe I don't remember that now clearly), and improved right after surgery to 40's--or something. Then was down to about 36 at all post op appts, until the last (at 1 1/2 yrs), he thought it was slightly worsening. It does seem to be more structural now, but, she can still correct it by bending her right leg. I have recently read somewhere some reports concerning trunk shift and correction by brace, and that it has better rates of correction than wearing brace prior to any surgery. If I find the link to that, I will post it. I hope and pray that things go well for your daughter also.

Comment

Hi Emma12,

Which revision doctors have you seen?

Thanks for letting me know this, if possible.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
      X