Sandy's Fusion Aug 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandy--
    Glad you are doing so well and so early. What do you mean about the gangsta lean and having rib cage closer to right than left arm? I have a definite lean to the left so left arm hangs free from side (& rib cage?) and right arm is close to the side. Is this the same with you? Did they think that would ever change? It seems to have something to do with my left leg being shorter than the other now and I often wear a lift just so I don't feel like I'm in a hole. I really just don't get it.
    I haven't found anyone else with this and it seems to cause me a lot of worry. Going through so much to get something different I see every time I look in the mirror. Couldn't see my back! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

4 month post-op update

Got down to 1/2 a 5 mg Percoset at my 2nd month, off completely by the 3rd month. Now at 4 months post-op, I have no pain anymore and am back to anything I want to do but lift things. Even ride my bike (its a beach cruiser so I sit more upright). Walking is clunky (I feel like Frankenstein) and the kids say I walk too slow. I should walk more than I do, working on that regimen.

I'm very glad I did the surgery when I did, but also glad I waited through my active 20s and 30s. There's no way I'd be able to do the wild waterskiiing, snowskiing, sailing and other sports now with the fusion, but I do hope to do a milder version again once I'm completely healed. It's amazing how much flexibility I still have in the hips and upper back. I don't feel much restricted, except I can't lay on my belly and prop myself up with my elbows. Can't bend that way. A small price to pay for the absence of pain and a hump-free back and symmetrical waist.

I've been told I had the textbook inspirational recovery and I welcome private messages (that go to my email) from anyone with questions or fears. I don't frequent the board much anymore.
      Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
      Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
      Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
      Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
      Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
      X