No announcement yet.

Sandy's Fusion Aug 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I felt like Kenny Rogers on drugs. LOL Haha!

Phew Sandy, that brought back some memories. You sound great! Keep up the good work.

Yes, August girls, you CAN do it and you will be so pleased you did.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes and prayers for you It's a long recovery, but I can definitely say that I'm glad I did it and I believe it was worth it!!
      Debbie

Comment

Sandy--You are amazing to be able to post so soon. I don't think I could even read anything for at least a month! I hope your recovery continues to go well. Good luck also to all of the August folks! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sandy-- it's super to hear from you! You are doing amazingly well to be posting already! Remember to listen to your body and not overdo... but also to walk. Welcome to the other side!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Take it easy Sandy. Things will get better and better slowly. I remember that first wonderful shower! There was nothing better in the world at that point!

Take care,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Sandy
              OUCH! your poor tongue! and you poor thing...
              but you are strong & will recover slowly but surely...& we all know "slow & steady wins the race"...

thoughts & prayers go out for your healing & return to full function & a pain free life..

best of luck
              jess

Comment

8 days post-op

Well, my tongue's getting back to normal and my appetite is getting better, too. I get up every hour or 2 to use the bathroom and try to do a few laps around the dining room table in my stylish wheeled walker. Went out to the mailbox yesterday but a big mistake. Must have been 95 degrees and 100 percent humidity. I thought I was going to pass out. Just too hot in Florida to walk outside. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll look and feel good enough to go to the mall if my teen girls "approve."

Feel a lot better today. Still incredibly swollen across my back and belly. Didn't feel dizzy at all this morning in the shower. Tomorrow the bandages come off and they want me to let the air to the incision unless I want to dress and pad it when using the brace. I'm stitched on the inside, and have back-to-back steri-strips along the entire length of the incision. I'm supposed to leave them to fall off on their own. Sitting is more comfortable today. Not on the couch or bed, but sitting overly upright on a hard wooden chair with a pillow behind my back. But still, a few minutes is max. And there's my "twinge" to get up and move again. Post again soon.
                Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Way to go, Sandy! Just take it easy and one day at a time.
                  Lesley
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I'm praying for you. . .and cheering for you!! I hope that I hang in there as well as you are when I'm 8 days post-op. You rock!!
                    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

10 days post-op

10 days post-op. Feeling as good as expected. Felt great yesterday. Was getting stir crazy, so got in mom's Caddy and we ran a few errands, by the bank, into the pharmacy to get a gel ice pack, and into a convenience store for some drinks. Gone about an hour, did quite a bit of walking, but felt really good! I was exhausted of course when we got home and laid in bed the rest of the afternoon. I've discovered my new favorite position, flat on my stomach with a gel ice pack on my back. I can stay that way about 1/2 hour, then my neck gets stiff and I roll back onto my back. I can roll pretty much by myself now. The bed bar really helps with rolling and getting up.

I've learned to keep up the pain meds, and set my alarm every 4 hours. If the pain gets really bad, it takes quite some time to relax again. And I always take a bite or 2 before to avoid heartburn. I also have an insulated cup with a bendy straw bedside. I've always drank a lot of water, but I'm constantly thirsty now, maybe from the meds. Lots of water helps with the bowels (the peri-colace and prunes is a good combo), and forces me to get up every couple of hours for the walk to the bathroom.

I don't have the weight-bearing pain down my left leg like I had pre-surgery, but I do have some new ones, mostly feels like muscles that were short and now stretched to places they've never been. Standing is painful. I walk in small circles to avoid it. Sitting is getting easier, and is more comfortable in the brace on a wooden chair. Forget the couch.

My girls have been fabulous helps. Too bad they start school tomorrow! I'll be alone from 7:50 to 2:50 (different school times overlap so its not too long). And I have some friends and family visit here and there. I like the alone time and need my afternoon naps.

Mgs, Karen and Kathy: You're in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this week. If your expectations are realistic, you'll be back before you know it. I keep repeating what I said after my c-section... Once the pain is past, I'll forget it when I look at that "pretty little baby's face," and replace with my "newfound waist." LOL
                      Sandy

Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Sandy,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the postings and the little tips (straw, water, etc.). I'm in the midst of stocking up on food, creating a schedule for my parents and husband and buying last minute school supplies.

And you're right...though many of us don't get complete correction, a little cosmetic bonus (and lack of pain) is the one thing that keeps me going!

Rest easy...
                        Kathy, 43
                        Diagnosed as a teen
                        Boston brace 2 years
                        63 degree lumbar curve
                        Surgery August 26, 2009
                        Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                        now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Sandy

I am so enjoying reading your positive post-op messages. There is real comfort in being one of the "August Girls" and for having all the wonderful wishes from everyone on this forum.

I spent the last weeks getting ready for the "big day" tomorrow so I'm trying to relax today, but the butterflies are fluttering in my stomach. Guess I'd worry if they didn't.

Again, all the very best to you on your continued recovery. Mary Ann and Kathy, the next three days are going to be big ones for all three of us. I know we will all do beautifully and be back here soon to chat about it. For my part, Sunny Day (sp.) on this forum will be reporting on my progress before I'm able to. In fact, she had very successful a/p surgery with my surgeon back in October and was the person who told me about this wonderful forum.

All the best!

Karen
                          Karen, 66 years "young"
                          Polio at 6
                          Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                          Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                          Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                          Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                          Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                          Three surgeries in one week:
                          8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                          8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                          9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

You're doing great!! I'm sure the outing was a welcome event!

A year from now, we all can cyber visit, and comfort those who will then be where we are now with "We made it through the rain, and so can you". . just like so many here do for us, now.

I'm trying to stay calm. . .when I find myself thinking about Tues, and feel my adrenaline kicking in, I make my thoughts go blank.

I had a great "last party to attend for a while" last night - this guy ( a real foodie) and his wife give a wonderful, FUN party every Aug. This year's theme was "grown or bred local". . .the food was AMAZING!! (he cooked for 3 days straight!) Some of the vendors from our farmer's market, who were among those whose stuff he used, were also guests. Local wines, local beers. It was unseasonably chilly, so he had fires going to keep us warm, since most of us remained outdoors for the evening. I could not have asked for a better way to spend my weekend-before-surgery.
                            Last edited by mgs; 08-23-2009, 03:47 PM.
                            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Wow Sandy,

Sounds like you are doing fantastically! 10 days post-op and you have already had an outing out of the house. Very impressive. You go Girl!

It's wonderful to read how well things are progressing for you! Keep up the good work, but don't overdo it. You are inspirational.

Wishing you all the best!
                              ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                              Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
                              Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
                              Now curve is T38*, L53*
                              Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

11 days post op

I'm doing great. Thanks for everyone's support.

When I left the hospital Mon eve, I was given an RX for Percoset 5-325 which is 5 mg Oxycodone (not Oxycontin like I thought) with 325 mg Acetominophen/Tylenol. Had trouble filling it because it's a controlled narcotic and Walgreens wouldn't fill out of county. Florida has tight laws about controlled substances. At the 3rd pharmacy, angry hubby was able to get someone to fill it. To even suggest he drive 1 1/2 hrs back to Tampa at 8 pm nearly sent him over the edge!

Then I called the doc last week to let him know I'd be out of meds today since I'm taking 12 a day. They were supposed to mail me an RX (has to be written) but did not show up in today's mail and I took the last pills at noon. My primary local doc is out on Mondays and I started to panic. Was finally able to get the surgeon's office to call in a less potent pain med that is able to be filled over the phone, Norco 10-325, which is 10 mg Hydrocodone and 325 mg Acetominophen/Tylenol. Makes me more tired I think, or maybe it's the 1/2 hr I had to sit in the pharmacy when I got there and they hadn't filled it. The pharmacy said they never got the call, so the surgeon's office had to make a 2nd call at 4pm. Add to the panic, especially since the noon meds had worn off and I couldn't imagine how I'd make it overnight. If the Noroc keeps the pain off, I'll stick with it since it will be easier to fill if I don't need the RX in writing. Plus, the pain is getting better, not worse. I think I'll be ready to go out to dinner or lunch later this week.
                                Sandy

Comment

Working...
                                X