confusion after surgery anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confusion after surgery anyone?

OK - this may sound weird...but I am having a really hard time maintaining focus on very simple things around the house (thank goodness I'm not working right now). I'm 3 months post-op and don't understand all my confusion. Has anyone else experienced this?

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Hi...

What drugs are you on? That seems the most likely cause.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That would be my question as well.

When I was still on painkillers, all the bills from the surgery were flooding in and I needed to deal with them, the hospital fund and Medicare, and I found it all extremely confusing. Reading anything and holding it in was a problem. But it all came good in time.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had this problem too. My unscientific explanation is that a long surgery -- physical trauma, anesthesia, and narcotics -- zaps a few brain cells. It took me quite a while to feel sharp again, and I still notice that my short-term memory isn't quite what it used to be. Of course, it could just be part of the aging process too....
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Its the main reason I quit cold turkey. I wouldn't recommend quitting that way, but I was fed up with it. It took a while each time I was bombed for my surgeries.

The anesthesia takes a long time to filter out also. That's about 40 drugs, all at once............

Now,that's something to think about. LOL

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Always,
            I was going to ask the same thing about , what meds are you taking. I noticed in another thread that you mentioned you were taking gabapentin. When I took that, I had the same problem. Also, if you are taking any narcotics in any amount of frequency that will happen.
            I was taking soooo many medications after surgery, pain meds, muscle relaxers, gabapentin, they even put me on valium which knocked me on my butt. I had to stop taking some over the weeks and months, because of interactions with each other causing sleepiness, memory problems, loss of concentration etc. It is amazing what medication can cause, so really my point is, look at your medications and look up side effects online.
            Good Luck!!
            Kristy
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding!!!!!

Thank goodness I posted this! Kristy, your post sounds JUST LIKE ME - I hate to say it but I'm thankful for that! I really thought I was losing my mind and my hubby was afraid he'd never get the real me back!

Now I have a great new added side effect of nausea...isn't that just wonderful! ...as the doc added a thyroid medication (for low thyroid problems...sorry the words aren't coming to me right now). I tell you...this cycle never seems to end! I'm on pretty high dose of gabapentin ...increased because of pain...1200 2xs daily (I was 3 times daily but kicked it down to 2xs this week)...and tramadol 50-100 every 6 hours as needed (I've tried to be very minimal with that).

Ed- I'd almost prefer the 40 at once instead of this hanging on stuff. I can't even handle what I'm on...no wonder I was in ICU for 5 days...the 40 probably did my system completely in (hehe).

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

Comment

Hi Always...

I suspect it's the gabapentin. I could barely function on even a minimal dose. My understanding is that most people get used to the side effects of gabapentin, but not everyone.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

confusion

can anyone tell me if gabapentin is like/the same as neurontin?

thanx
                  jess

Comment

Yes-- it's the generic for Neurontin. I did fine with it -- or at least I thought I did!
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Colleen,
                      I felt that i had some confusion after the surgery. I was on Endone, Panadol or Panadeine Forte and Endep (3 days only). On day six post-op (sat), I thought it was Thursday and wondered where the other days went. However, when I got home, as I wasn't in a lot of pain, just discomfort, I decided to quit my pain meds on day 15 post-op. My daughter kept telling me that i was having conversation re-runs!
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thanks everyone...I'l tell my hubby I'm not TOTALLY crazy (he he) and there MAY be hope I wonder if there's anything I could take in place of Gabapentin? My surgeon said I could stay on it for a few more months but I don't know. I don't even trust myself driving too much. I had a few close calls and I think it's because I'm not thinking right. Thanks for the posts!

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

Comment

confusion and focus

The only medication I take is tramidol but have had a hard time focusing and concentrating for several years. It started when I was diagnosed with flatback syndrome and spinal stenosis. I believe it is caused by depression associated with the chronic pain and fatigue resulting from my condition

Comment

hmmmm...hadn't thought of the depression route...never experienced depression in a big sense until this surgery...hmmmm.

Always Smilin'
                            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                            right thoracic 57
                            lower lumbar 34

Comment

I have a high pain med tolerance and tramadol made me very very confused. I took it for a few days and had to quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X