No announcement yet.

Bending xrays question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found an interesting article about fulcrum bending and how it should be performed and why.
    http://http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/cont...79/8/1144#SEC2

Regards
    Donna
    Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
    Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Comment

None of my x-rays were bending x-rays. On my first appt. with Dr. Askin, he got me to bend forward and backwards. My x-rays were standing, back on and side on.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Man, I really had the feeling the xray tech's didnt know exactly how to do these bending xrays either. They had to call my potential surgeons nurse to see what they needed. Ive had 3 sets of A/P xrays done recently, but the "bending" xrays they took today, all I did was turn to the side and bend forward slightly. Didnt seem like it accomplished much. Although I am 6'9" and there wasnt a whole lot of room for me to move or "bend".

Also, did anyone else have to get MRI's of the spine prior to surgery? I couldnt make it through it today from the pain of laying on my back on that board. I have a pretty prominant rib hump on the right side and its hard to lay on a hard surface on my back for too long
        Last edited by osumike; 12-21-2009, 11:00 PM.
        Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
        Still unsure of post-op numbers
        37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
        Scoli pics

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
          Man, I really had the feeling the xray tech's didnt know exactly how to do these bending xrays either. They had to call my potential surgeons nurse to see what they needed. Ive had 3 sets of A/P xrays done recently, but the "bending" xrays they took today, all I did was turn to the side and bend forward slightly. Didnt seem like it accomplished much. Although I am 6'9" and there wasnt a whole lot of room for me to move or "bend".

Also, did anyone else have to get MRI's of the spine prior to surgery? I couldnt make it through it today from the pain of laying on my back on that board. I have a pretty prominant rib hump on the right side and its hard to lay on a hard surface on my back for too long
          I agree with you. Same thing happened for me. The ladies taking my X-rays had no idea what they were doing, what I needed to do, etc. They told me to just bend left and hold and bend right and hold.

The thing that is funny is since I'm 6'4, I have to squat down 3-5" and then bend halfway so they could fit my spine LOL.

I got the MRI 2 months before surgery and yes, I also have a prominent rib hump on the right and it was very painful and I was tired from laying down for over an hour and not doing anything.

Comment

My understanding is that my kids were standing for the side bending radiographs and the purpose was to identify the affected vertebrae so they can determine the last instrumented vertebrae. I'll have to ask them. The shots were taken the day or two before surgery. If they can bend and level a vertebrae then that vertebrae is not going to be fused. Both kids could level out L2 so the fusion was stopped at L1 though it was damn close on the second kid. We went into surgery not knowing if he would stop at L1 or L2 which was the worst part of the entire thing for me. He made the final decision on the table.

This is why I think there are ethical questions to be explored about surgical trigger angles for T fusions at least.

This is my understanding which needs to be vetted by a surgeon. I put this together in my head based on reading and statements from the surgeon whose comments were limited to which vertebrae is leveled on bending and my comment back about the answer and his response. I could have misunderstood... it has happened before.

And maybe it is specific for T fusions?
            Last edited by Pooka1; 12-22-2009, 07:02 AM.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My bending x-rays were taken while I was laying on the table. The doctor told me that they take bending x-rays to see how flexible or ridgid the curve is. I happen to have 2 curves... the top is ridgid, while the bottom is flexible. He said that tells him how much correction I might expect with the surgery. They took the x-rays in June, so I'm not sure if they will take more before surgery.

Comment

I've never heard of standing bending xrays, so your suspicion may be correct.

Bending films are used to verify which levels should be fused, and whether curves are structural or compensatory (and may therefore need not be fused).

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

yeah im pretty pissed about this. all this unnecessary radiation cant be good. I told the nurse and xray techs that I was pretty sure bendind xrays were when I had to lay on the table to see how straight my spine could get, and was told no, they wouldnt do that. so we'll see.
                  37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                  Scoli pics

Comment

OSU Mike!

yeah im pretty pissed about this. all this unnecessary radiation cant be good. I told the nurse and xray techs that I was pretty sure bendind xrays were when I had to lay on the table to see how straight my spine could get, and was told no, they wouldnt do that. so we'll see.
                    Hi Mike! I'm in Cleveland..where are you in Ohio? I consulted with Dr. Orr, too. I decided not to go with him though. I am going to travel to St. Louis to Dr. Lenke. Dr. Orr did surgery on my ex's neck and he was happy with it, but it was a much lesser surgery, working on the discs. Since this is a lot more complicated, I decided to go to Lenke. My surgery is scheduled for March 31st. I also consulted with a Dr. at University Hospital, but didn't like him at all.

Best of luck to you neighbor!

Laura

62 degrees
                    49 yrs. old
                    Surgery date scheduled 3/31/10 with Lenke
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young
                    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hey Laura- Im over near Bowling Green. But yeah, I guess Im still not 100% positive surgery will be with Orr. Ive only talked/met him once. He was very nice, and it was a very short meeting. He ordered MRI's and more x-rays. I go back to see him on Jan. 19. I would love to go meet with Dr. Lenke, but being so far away, that may be a little tough and expensive. So hopefully we will set a date with Dr. Orr next month. Im having a bit of a hard time with the MRI. Being so tall and the rib hump on my right side makes it hard to lay there for a long period of time.
                      37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                      Scoli pics

Comment

Hi Mike,
                        When I saw Dr. Orr, he ordered an MRI of the thoracic and lumbar. They did the thoracic with no problem but couldn't get pictures of the lumbar because of the hardware that's already there. My x-rays in Oct. were only standing, I'll see what they do next time. I see Dr. Orr on Jan. 13. My surgery is scheduled for March 12, A/P both on the same day-14 hours.
                        Good luck with your appointment.

Comment

Working...
                        X