Bone Stimulator anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal bone stimulator

I have an internal bone stimulator implanted at the top of my hip bone. There are two tiny wires that go up the length of my fusion. The stimulator is very easy to see on my x-rays so I'll try to get them posted here. The stim has a battery that lasts 6 months then stops so basically it's a useless piece of hardware now. My doc said if it's bothering me he could do a minor procedure, make a small incision, get ahold of the body of the thing and fish the wires out. I told him it's just fine where it is!

Just out of curiosity does anyone else have an internal device?
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

Comment

Wow I have never heard of an internal device, I would like to see your x-rays to see what that looks like.
      .: St@ci :.
      28 years old
      Mama to two daughters
      Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
      No treatment.
      Decided on surgery 16 years later.
      Thoracic curve - 65
      Lumbar curve- 63
      Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
      Fused T2-L3
      No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
      http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

I know this thread is a year old, but in comparison to '09 bone stimulators:

the new ones are a compact 2"x4" unit you clip to your waistband and two electric stim pads attached to both sides of your spine. We were told to wear it 24/7 for 9 months. I will recheck this time when I see my surgeon on Monday, but seems a small price versus pain issues for correct healing. Pads stay on thru' showering, and change when they start wearing out. They have rechargeable batteries and you just keep an extra recharged and switch them out.
        XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
        Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
        Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
        Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
        53 yrs old

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I inspired me to email my surgeon's patient coordinator to ask if I will have one of these, and she emailed me right back and said yes. I'm glad to know they are smaller now.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

I wear two stimulators. I wear a cervical stimulator four hours a day for my neck fusion and a spinal stimulator for two hours a day for my spinal fusion. Will wear both for nine months.
            Chris, Austin, TX
            80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
            Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
            C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
            New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

I will have a bone stimulator as well. Can you feel it? Is there discomfort? Does it feel like electric stim in PT?

What about getting dressed? How much room does this take up under your clothes?

I will also have a brace for 10-12 weeks. It is good that this will be winter.

Comment

I wear both of mine over my clothes so no issues with fittings. I do not feel anything when wearing mine. I do hear a continuous clicking sound while wearing mine and talking on the phone. Some callers hear the noise as well, while most do not.

I must wear mine at separate times as well,,,,,bummer,,,,,cuts into 6 hours per day.
                Chris, Austin, TX
                80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
                X