Foraminal vs Epidural Injection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foraminal vs Epidural Injection

I see a doctor on Wednesday and if appropriate, will get an injection.

I am wondering about having just a foraminal vs epidural injection, concerned about the added risks of the latter.

Anyone know about the relative efficacy of the two for lower cervical/upper thoracic radiculopathy?

Steroidal, assumedly?

For pain management?

For what condition?

Do you have scoliosis in addition to a protrusion, DDD, stenosis, etc.?

If so, is the condition secondary to scoliosis?

I've had both - but will reserve commenting on my experience until I think I understand what you're asking ...
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

pain injections

Epidural (think childbirth) injections serve 2 purposes according to the scientific literature:

Diagnostic and therapeutic.

This means, if after the pain injection, relief occurs then the appropriate trouble spot around the spine has been discovered. Steroid is frequently mixed with local anesthetic. The local anesthetic can give immediate relief followed by the steroid which reduces inflammation. This can sometimes "break a pain cycle" and give long lasting relief. Other times, the relief is temporary if the underlying cause is not removed.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
      X