No announcement yet.

Steel or Titanium... Cold??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever since my surgery, I detest getting cold. I am definitely more sensitive to the cold than I used to be, and my back feels 100 percent better in the summer.

My theory is that when I get cold and shivery, I tense up, using muscles along the fusion that are usually just hanging out being dormant most of the time. So I think my new sensitivity to cold is mental -- I anticipate being uncomfortable when the temperature drops, then I tense up, then I have muscle pain.

At any rate, I am DEFINTELY moving south in my senior years....or sooner!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
      Ever since my surgery, I detest getting cold. I am definitely more sensitive to the cold than I used to be, and my back feels 100 percent better in the summer.

My theory is that when I get cold and shivery, I tense up, using muscles along the fusion that are usually just hanging out being dormant most of the time. So I think my new sensitivity to cold is mental -- I anticipate being uncomfortable when the temperature drops, then I tense up, then I have muscle pain.

At any rate, I am DEFINTELY moving south in my senior years....or sooner!!
      YES YES YES Chris--that's my theory too. Shivering definitely gets me all spasmed upl ICK!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I see that you had Dr. Moreno do your surgery. I don't see what you ended up getting- steel or titanium. I have another appt to see Dr. Moreno next month. I had some bone denisty issues last year that I have overcome and am waiting to see if he will do the surgery. he seems to be the best in our area and from what I have seen one of the front runners in the operation in adults. Any advice?

Comment

I have both stainless steel and titanium in my implant. Heat seems to bother me more than cold.

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
            I have both stainless steel and titanium in my implant. Heat seems to bother me more than cold.
            Leanne...

Titanium and SS implants are not supposed to be used together. Do they actually touch? (such as ss rods and titanium screws?)
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It has been two years since my surgery and I have steel rods and screws.I live in Bakersfield,Ca and I just love the warm summers but cant take the cold.Any temperature below 75 degree's I cant handle.Once I am cold I stay cold not fun.Maybe its because I am thin and I can feel were my screws are.
              Aug.17,09 Anterior
              Aug.20,09 Posterior
              Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
              Cedars-Sinai
              Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
              Husband married 30 years
              3 kids 29,28,25
              4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

hey sherri
                i am considering surgery...
                i am very thin right now...pain meds kill my appetite...i weigh 91, up from 87 pounds last
                year...i have small bones and am 5'3+ inches, down from 5'5"...

question....you said you can feel where the metal is....
                are any screws poking thru? do you expect to have hardware removed for that reason?
                i've been told by several surgeons that i may need hardware removal a year after
                surgery due to my size...
                i have little to no fat on my body...am wondering if i would feel cold more
                after surgery...i HATE the cold! my fingers and toes are always colder than the rest of
                my body in the winter!

thanks for any answers...

jess

Comment

My fusion with stainless steel harrington rods was done in December 1990 in Cleveland. At the time, I was 17 and very thin with NO back fat. I was EXTREMELY cold that winter. My back felt like it was frozen. I moved to Florida the following summer so I didn't have to deal with cold winters anymore. However, I have visited frozen places in recent years (after gaining at least 20 pounds since surgery) and have no problems with my rods/back being unusually cold. Much to my dismay, I also have back fat now though. So, if you are very thin and your rods are not well covered, I think it's entirely possible you would get colder from them. I don't believe the thin layer of skin that covers them is enough to keep them as warm as the rest of your core but that's just my opinion. My fat is definitely doing the job now though.

Also, I would recommend titanium for the reason that you will probably want/need an MRI in the future and steel rods don't work well in that situation.

Erin

Comment

MRIs caused alot of pain for me. I went to the ER after my MRI's in May. Is this because of the stainless steel ?

Comment

Jess,yes I can feel the screws.The side screw on my left side bothers me the most.To be honest I would not get it removed because I dont want anymore surgeries.I am not as small as you.Im 5'5 and weigh 118 but my back is boney.I was cold blooded before my surgery just worse now cant handle cold weather.
                      Aug.17,09 Anterior
                      Aug.20,09 Posterior
                      Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                      Cedars-Sinai
                      Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                      Husband married 30 years
                      3 kids 29,28,25
                      4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonbunch View Post
                        What's your take on steel rods versus titanium, and how does it feel in the winter with the cold? I'm still presurgery.
                        My son who is now 5 months post-op has Chromium-Magnesium-Molybdenum rods but not sure what kind of screws he has. I'll have to ask Dr. K at our appointment in October. It will be interesting to see if he feels the cold more this year than past years. Generally we don't get very much cold weather here, mostly just lots and lots of rain. I do think some people are naturally warmer than others b/c my sister is always cold and wears sweaters and socks whereas I go year round wearing tank tops and am barefoot (inside in winter) and at work I change from my rubber boots to flip flops b/c I get so warm when I wear shoes of any kind. My husband and older son dress in layers around the house and seem comfortable and just looking at them all bundled up makes me sweat. My daughter tends to bundle up too with lots of layers but Elias is like me and strips down to the bare necessities when he gets home and finds clothing cumbersome. I wonder if we have a more active thyroid? I know my sister is on medication for low thyroid.
                        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Working...
                        X