Today is 2 year anniversay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today is 2 year anniversay!

Alexander's surgery was 2 years ago today! He is doing really great, is on a swim team and swam his first meet yesterday. In one of his races, he was so proud because he came in 2nd (out of 3). He can basically do everything he wants to do and he is very healthy, with no pain at all.

Our one complaint is still his posture. He still leans to the left a bit but he can easily straighten himself up on cue. I've been doing some research about possible ways to help him improve his posture and I thought I'd ask you all if you have any knowledge or experience with post-fusion posture being helped by: Aston-Patterning, Feldenkrais, the Alexander Technique, Rolfing. Those are the methods I've been looking into.

Thanks for any info or feedback about this!
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Congratulations on another important milestone!

I have no idea about the posture stuff other than some riders swear that Alexander for sure and I think Feldenkrais helped them with their riding by making them super aware of their posture. Or something. I didn't really follow along but it's along those lines. Based on that, I think Alexander might help.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations! That is great that he is doing so well. How old is Alexander? I am coming up on 13 years after surgery but so far the best anniversary was last year since it marked living with rods and what not for half my life.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Sharon. I think we might try the Alexander technique. I've also heard good things about it.

Pouncy,

Alexander is now 14 years old. He was 12 years and three months at the time of his surgery - very young! It's really great to read that you're doing so well so many years after your own surgery. It's hopeful for me to see that.

If anyone has any additional info about types of bodywork to help with post-op posture, I'd really appreciate your opinion...

Thanks,
        Laurie

Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.

Comment

Laurie--

Just want to add my congratulations to you and Alexander on the 2-year anniversary. You've been such a help to me, since Sidney was just a year older than Alexander at fusion time--also so young for a boy!

Good luck on the posture, and please continue to keep us posted.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks Mary Ellen,

You've been helpful to me as well!

How is Sydey?
            Laurie

Comment

Working...
            X