No announcement yet.

Antibiotics before dental treatment???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotics before dental treatment???

Hi All,
    How long do I have to continue to take antibiotics before dental work? Is this a lifelong thing? What have your surgeons said? Is it because of risk of infection?
    thanks!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

My kid was having two teeth removed over a year after being fused.

I called the surgeon who told me he never prescribes antibiotics for dental work after fusion. He only prescribes it for subsequent joint surgery IIRC.

Still, perhaps because I brought up the issue, the oral surgeon prescribed them seemingly just in case.

Maybe orthopedic surgeons differ on this point.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My dd's surgeon says antibiotics for 2 years following surgery, even for dental cleanings.

Judging from previous feedback on this subject, there are many differing opinions on this so the best thing to do is see what your surgeon recommends.
      Last edited by Sherie; 07-10-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

When I asked my daughter's surgeon if she'd need to be premedicated before dental appointments, he looked at me kinda funny like, how in the world does she know about this. I explained that my mom has artificial knee joints and she has to take anitbiotics before dental appointments and anything that could cause bleeding. The surgeon told me he prescribes antibiotics for a year post-op as a precaution. He said that the reason my daughter doesn't need them and my mom does, is that the back is sort of self contained and protected whereas the knee joint isn't. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone or not, but that's how he tried to explain it to me. My daughter had 8 teeth cut out about 2 years post-op and did just fine without antibiotics before the oral surgery.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Summer,
          I asked my Dr. at 10 months post-op and he recommends antibiotics up to three months post-op. After that, not necessary. I said "oops". I had a dental cleaning at 2 months post-op and did not take antibiotics and I didn't have a problem.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Funny you ask. I went to my 9 month checkup last week and asked. The Dr. has recently changed his opinion on this and recommends pre-medicating for life. I think he had a patient that developed an infection from dental work and they revised their policy. He said that there is no diference medicating before 5 years vs. after 5 years. He said it's even possible to get the problem from UTI's, which I'm prone to getting, but as long as I get treated right away I should be fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

That's the great thing about this forum. You just keep learning things. I had no idea this was the case. So are we talking about infection travelling from say, the bladder, or maybe an ear infection (what about a chest infection?) to the hardware?
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My son's surgeon said antibiotics were not necessary for him at the dentist. This was about 6 months after his surgery.
                Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

No anitbiotics needed.

Wow,

This subject keeps poping up and people are still confused...

Dr's. are covering themselves by prescribing anitbiotics post-op for this surgery.

I have posted about this a few times. I am a Registered Dental Assistant here in Ca. and when I first saw this question pop up I was very surprised and did a double check by calling a few different dental schools to see if anything new had shown up in studies. NO. You do not need to pre-med for any dental procedure post-op from scoliosis fusion surgery. Yes, you do for artificial joints and some types of heart issues. I called and re-checked with a couple of Dentists I had worked with in the past as well as checking with a few different spine Dr's. besides my own. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't changed in the past 3 years or so since I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    That's the great thing about this forum. You just keep learning things. I had no idea this was the case. So are we talking about infection travelling from say, the bladder, or maybe an ear infection (what about a chest infection?) to the hardware?
                    Jen,

According to my Dr., yes.

And since I have Mitral Valve Prolapse as well, even though that was changed from 'pre-medicate' to 'don't premedicate', I think I will do what my Dr. recommends.

Comment

...interesting post...I think most every just assumes they need it...but everyone is different, like Debbe....has a heart value issue as well. Better safe than sorry I guess!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Wow.....now I think I'm more confused Thanks so much everyone! My dentist said no & my surgeon also said since I'm 3 years post-op it isn't necessary. However, if it makes me feel better he said it couldn't do any harm.
                        Jenn
                        37 y/o female
                        60 degree lumbar
                        45 degree thoracic
                        1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
                        T 5 to S 1
                        NYC

Comment

Originally posted by summer View Post
                          Wow.....now I think I'm more confused Thanks so much everyone! My dentist said no & my surgeon also said since I'm 3 years post-op it isn't necessary. However, if it makes me feel better he said it couldn't do any harm.
                          I think that one of the 'harms' is that over time, the patient may develop more allergies to antibiotics. That's the case with me having pre-medicated for a few years (because of mitral valve prolapse) with penicillin. But still my doc recommends it so I will do as he says.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                            I think that one of the 'harms' is that over time, the patient may develop more allergies to antibiotics. That's the case with me having pre-medicated for a few years (because of mitral valve prolapse) with penicillin. But still my doc recommends it so I will do as he says.
                            The other major concern with pre-medication over time is the ability of bacteria to become resistant to antibiotics. I gave up on pre-medicating (I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse several years ago) because I would get a vaginal yeast infection every time I took antibiotics - not much fun because several years ago the antifungal medicine in those days was a seven day course of treatment.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                            X