Heel Lifts Beneficial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel Lifts Beneficial?

I have a leg length discrepancy from my scoliosis. My chiropractor has told me to wear my lift all the time. Can the lift prevent my scoliosis from getting worse? Can it do any harm? Has anyone noticed that their back feels better when they are wearing the lift?

Hi!!
    I used to wear a heal lift...but I found that they mashed down to fast! So I had my shoe lifted. My leg length descrepancy is 2cm though...so I walk funny without it. It actually makes my back feel better. When I don't wear it I really hurt. Don't think it does any harm to the back...if anything it probabily helps cause you aren't putting as much stress on everything walking funny. Hope this helps!
    Diagnosed in '06'
    Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
    Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
    Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
    Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
    Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
    I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

I wore a lift in my shoe for a year. My degree of curvature increased greatly during that year. Not sure if the lift attributed to that or not.

My thought on lifts is pretty negative though, but, granted I'm not a physician. The un-natural lift adds to the hip unevenness which causes your spine to further twist to accommodate for this new "normal". Unless your legs differ in length by inches, a slight lift doesn't affect your day to day and may very well throw off the developing curve.
      Living life after a Milwaukee...
      And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
        I have a leg length discrepancy from my scoliosis. My chiropractor has told me to wear my lift all the time. Can the lift prevent my scoliosis from getting worse? Can it do any harm? Has anyone noticed that their back feels better when they are wearing the lift?
        As far as I know, it's never been studied. I'd recommend that you try it and see if it makes any difference in how you feel.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well my hips are uneven without the lift. With the lift they seem more even so I would think it would prevent the curvature from worsening because the other side of the body does not have to compensate but I don't know.

Comment

I have heard that often when legs are measured as uneven, they are not necessarily different lengths, but rather they appear different due to uneven hips which are due to the curvature.
            (This, of course, excludes obvious leg length variations of inches which can co-exist with scoliosis).

While not popular on this board, I am a believer in chiropractic intervention and I'm surprised that a chiropractor recommended a lift rather than try adjustments to even out the hips.
            Living life after a Milwaukee...
            And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

My chiropractor did recommend adjustments, I go in once a month for that. But he also recommends me wearing my lift all the time.

Comment

My daughter has a real leg length discrepancy. It was suggested to us by a chiro that the hips might "appear" uneven because of the curve but it's the other way around. This has been confirmed by her PT and 2 orthos. The curve has, at the very least, been exacerbated by the difference in leg length. I've gotten some of her shoes adjusted; she wears lifts in some. We don't have 100% compliance, yet. Today, for example, she's wearing flip-flops. I know I can get these adjusted, too, but we haven't managed it, yet. Also she dances and when she does modern it's barefoot. And I don't think we can get ballet slippers or pointe shoes adjusted.

Comment

I've just been give heel lifts by my physiotherapist for my scoliosis (even though I've had surgery) as it seems I'm slightly curving again to the left again. They kinda help but they're weird at first...
                  Lyssie, 22y/o
                  Diagnosed with Scoliosis aged 10,
                  Had spinal correction and fusion T11-L3 by Mr Lam
                  (August 2006 aged 17)
                  Fusion and correction successful!
                  Developed pain early 2008!
                  Denervation left SI joint mid-2010
                  Further posterior correction and fusion T2-L4 by Mr Tucker
                  (October 2010 aged 22) xxx

Comment

Originally posted by lyssie View Post
                    I've just been give heel lifts by my physiotherapist for my scoliosis (even though I've had surgery) as it seems I'm slightly curving again to the left again. They kinda help but they're weird at first...
                    Kinda feels like you're walking on a curb with one leg right? Thats what it felt like to me. Even though its only a half inch, it feels a lot different.
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                      Kinda feels like you're walking on a curb with one leg right? Thats what it felt like to me. Even though its only a half inch, it feels a lot different.
                      That's exactly how it feels, lol! Mine's only a CM but it wasn't like that a few months ago And my surgery was 3 years ago almost... So I gotta see if it rules out any real leg descrepancy they want me to use it for at least a month - but I honestly think it's due to my back! Lyssie xx
                      Lyssie, 22y/o
                      Diagnosed with Scoliosis aged 10,
                      Had spinal correction and fusion T11-L3 by Mr Lam
                      (August 2006 aged 17)
                      Fusion and correction successful!
                      Developed pain early 2008!
                      Denervation left SI joint mid-2010
                      Further posterior correction and fusion T2-L4 by Mr Tucker
                      (October 2010 aged 22) xxx

Comment

Well my legs are actually 2 cm off in measurements. I have been offered to shorten my long leg...but been told to wait and get my back worked with before and too wait til I am least 18 and COMPLETELY grown before making any decisions on that.
                        Diagnosed in '06'
                        Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
                        Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
                        Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
                        Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
                        Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
                        I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

heel lifts and scoli

Hi
                          PTs at some clinics are seeing success with the use of heel lifts for various spinal disorders. The PTs at Spinal Dynamics of Wisconsin offer Scroth, and will also use their in-depth range of experiences and expertise in spine care to identify adjunct approaches. For some patients involved with their Schroth program, they may recommend assistive devices such as heel lifts. For some people, after evaluation, they may indicate that a heel lift could be a first-line approach, perhaps suggesting a trial with a heel lift before a discussion ensues about the use of Schroth. Each case truly depends upon the individual, his/her age, rate of scoliosis progression, degree of curve, etc.

Comment

Depends

Hi. I am new to this forum, having discovered a severely progressed curve of 49 lumbar and 34 thoracic, after a brace brought it under control as a teen (I'm now 43 years old). My Dr. does not rush off to do surgery as the outcome is not clearly beneficial. My PT recommended a heel lift, and I wore it for 6 months, at which time I felt that side of my body "squashed", so I gave it up (yay, can wear my sandals now!). I should also add that I am doing home exercises faithfully from the PT: flexibility and core strength.
                            *UPDATE* - this was answered in my other post
                            Last edited by dailystrength; 07-23-2009, 05:52 PM.
                            34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                            Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Working...
                            X