Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recovery

Gwen,

Yes, you made a good decision not bracing Becca. I was diagnosed as a young teen and it really damamged my self esteem. Also, as you said Becca's curve was progressing rapidly. It would seem you definitely made the best choice for her:O)

You mentioned her bloating. I am assuming the smoothies that you are giving her have lots of fruit in them but the more fruit through the day that she can eat the better for her. That's really all that settled well in my stomach post surgery.

Also, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches made with double high fiber bread and a peanut butter i buy at Walmart called Naturally More. It's got both omega 3 and 6 oil and flax seed oil and flax seeds and also wheat germ. It also has 10 grams of protein as well as 2 grams of fiber. Anywhere I could get the fiber I did:O) Also, lots of green veggies if she will eat them. I also took Phillips Milk of Magnesia(?spelling)...which I still take daily only at night just to be on the safe side. With all the meds I don't want to start having a problem. I have always had a tone of trouble in that department and I think the surgery has helped me there:O)

I can't imagine having to watch your child recover from this surgery. My thoughts are with you and your husband as well as Becca. My parents didn't come down until I came home from the hospital and my mother was a nervous wreck and in tears when she saw me and I'm 37 lol. I had lost a ton of weight in the hospital and still continue to loose weight. I have lost 30 pounds total so far. We had my husbands mother here with the kids the weeks that my surgery took place. I just new my mother would be a nervous wreck wanting to be at the hospital but having to be home with the kids. My husband made it very clear that he wasn't sharing visiting time. Only one night my mother in law came instead of my husband because of a hockey game for my son that I insisted on him going to.

I'm sure you will be relieved when Becca is on her feet again and back to being a normal teenager! Tell her I am envious of her quicker recovery time than what I am going through :O) Honestly though, aside of being tired now I have less pain than prior to surgery even though I have pain it's a different kind.....healing from surgery kind.

Good luck and if you have any questions that maybe I can answer for you just let me know. God bless! Tell Becca I said Good luck!!!!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

surgery

Susan...interesting...my scoli pain was manageable til i herniated discs at work 5 years ago, then all heck broke loose w/pain!

Gwen...i think it is great that your daughter had the surgery now...she will become pain free & have a wonderful life...
      waiting can present problems of having surgery when older...i am proof of that...as i struggle with decision...

thoughts & prayers are with you....
      best of luck
      jess

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen View Post
        Her focus today is trying to go to the bathroom and get rid of the bloating. I know that will help a great deal. She has been eating smooties which I have put metamucil in. She's had some stool softeners and this morning I gave her a laxitive. Something's gotta work!
        I'm just curious... didn't your surgeon warn you not to let her eat/drink anything until the gut sounds return?

Based just on my daughter, that didn't happen until some time on Day 3 whereas you were released after two days.

Our surgeon was extremely strict about this because he considers bloating a set back.

And indeed my daughter had no bloating.

As far as I can tell, the evidence is in. Nobody is guessing if kids will develop bloating if they eat/drink too early... they will. I don't know why all surgeons aren't strict about this. Kids have enough pain associated with their backs. The last thing they need is the pain from bloating. Based only on the testimonials here, I agree that it is a major set back in the recovery.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

WOW! I can't believe your daughter went home in 2 days. My daughter was still vomiting every time she tried to eat. On the 4th day her blood count was so low she needed a blood transfusion. I guess everyone is different but I'm glad they kept my daughter for 5 days. Her surgery was July, 6th. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy'smom View Post
            WOW! I can't believe your daughter went home in 2 days. My daughter was still vomiting every time she tried to eat. On the 4th day her blood count was so low she needed a blood transfusion. I guess everyone is different but I'm glad they kept my daughter for 5 days. Her surgery was July, 6th. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story
            Just curious... when did the surgeon allow her to start eating/drinking?
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

The second day she was allowed liquids, The third day jello,pudding and stuff like that. The 4th day she was allowed solids. She's eating petty good now. Friut , toast, chicken noodle soup, Chicken and grahams crackers. Nothing heavy yet.

Comment

What recipes are you all using for the smoothies?

Comment

Working...
                X