Curvature Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
    I must say, now that i'm actually taking charge of understanding my care that the experience is a bit confusing .. so many possibilities, these curves!
    LOL

Well you're doing the right thing in taking an interest in your care. I was too young to really understand a lot of what was going on when I had my surgery, other than generalities. 26 years later I still don't understand a lot of the terms or how things work. In some ways I don't need to know, I'm more here for emotional support and understanding from people who have gone through, or are going through, the same things as me. Its been amazingly healing for me to be on these boards.

But you are doing the right thing in learning what you need to do for your care, ask the questions and people will try and answer. Thats the great thing about these boards.
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      That's because it's super confusing. Did you ever post your xrays? I should be able to tell you what you have.
      Do not have them available for posting.

Now i have a question about x-rays :-)

Once an x-ray is put up on the light board. How do we tell if we are looking at the patient from the back or the front? No shields (or markings present).

I'm sure everyone knows this but me
      Last edited by mamamax; 07-04-2009, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
        LOL

Well you're doing the right thing in taking an interest in your care. I was too young to really understand a lot of what was going on when I had my surgery, other than generalities. 26 years later I still don't understand a lot of the terms or how things work. In some ways I don't need to know, I'm more here for emotional support and understanding from people who have gone through, or are going through, the same things as me. Its been amazingly healing for me to be on these boards.

But you are doing the right thing in learning what you need to do for your care, ask the questions and people will try and answer. Thats the great thing about these boards.
        :-) Thanks QD. Have to say - denial has worked for me for a long long time. Things have however - changed. Have to say, it was wonderful to find some answers to questions today, that have been perplexing the daylights out of me!

Comment

Linda,

Looking at that it looks like I have an 'E' classification? My preop xray is below in my sig lines.
          Hi Brad...

It's really hard to tell because the vertebrae at the top are obscured. I think your curve may fall outside of the King classification system, because it appears that you have a single curve without tilt. That is, the vertebrae above your single curve are not tilted. I think you may have a Lenke 1A, but I can't be certain.

By the way, I spent some time with Dr. Bradford on Thursday. I've been volunteering at UCSF for a few months. Since semi-retiring, his office is no longer in the academic area with the other surgeons. But he comes over from time-to-time.

One of the UCSF surgeons is giving me some tutoring on xray measurement next week, so I'll hopefully be able to get a bunch of questions answered then.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Do not have them available for posting.

Now i have a question about x-rays :-)

Once an x-ray is put up on the light board. How do we tell if we are looking at the patient from the back or the front? No shields (or markings present).

I'm sure everyone knows this but me
            If there's an R or a RIGHT designation on the xray, that should refer to the right side, as viewed from the back. Brad's xray has an L designation which tells us that he has right-sided thoracic curve.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes, i get that, if there are markings.

But what if there are no markings?

Why do i want to know? Maybe I'm just Type A, but I do want to know. I would like to be able to spot a human error (especially if it is in regards to me), we are all human and prone to error, if even only rarely.

Noticed on Brad's x-rays, that the L and R markings (which i presume, indicate patient Left and patient Right), were mirror imaged (or backwards). That confused me.

Comment

Yes, i get that, if there are markings.

But what if there are no markings?

Why do i want to know? Maybe I'm just Type A, but I do want to know. I would like to be able to spot a human error (especially if it is in regards to me), we are all human and prone to error, if even only rarely.

Noticed on Brad's x-rays, that the L and R markings (which i presume, indicate patient Left and patient Right), were mirror imaged (or backwards). That confused me.
                I'm not very good on anatomy outside of the spine, but I think one can see the heart, which should be on the patient's left side when viewed from behind, on spine xrays.

Not sure why some xray techs get the letters backward. I'm guessing that it's probably because they have to place them backward on the xray cassette. You can sometimes tell what is right or left by looking to see on which side the xrays are measured and/or marked (assuming that the person who measured/marked them knew the correct way to do it).

Comment

LOL

QD,

I have been thinking how it must have been for you.

You must feel like there is a this huge whole in your life that you can't fill.

I have always tried to include my kids in everything possible about their treatment. I don't know how much they understand but I am always there to answer any questions I can or to email questions I can't answer to the surgeon.

I'm glad you are finding some healing here. I also think we don't have so many folks who had surgery as a child and are here as an adult. Some but not so many. So that's good you can talk about that. I mean it's very valuable to me to hear what you are saying now about how you felt then because I think it is likely what my kids are feeling but may not be voicing to me.

So thanks.
                  sharon
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm not very good on anatomy outside of the spine, but I think one can see the heart, which should be on the patient's left side when viewed from behind, on spine xrays.

Not sure why some xray techs get the letters backward. I'm guessing that it's probably because they have to place them backward on the xray cassette. You can sometimes tell what is right or left by looking to see on which side the xrays are measured and/or marked (assuming that the person who measured/marked them knew the correct way to do it).
                    Hey - the heart ... excellent! How poetic. Thank you Linda! Next time I get an x-ray I'll also wear a diamond stud earing (only one). Ha-ha ... then i will know beyond a shadow of a doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      QD,

I have been thinking how it must have been for you.

You must feel like there is a this huge whole in your life that you can't fill.

I have always tried to include my kids in everything possible about their treatment. I don't know how much they understand but I am always there to answer any questions I can or to email questions I can't answer to the surgeon.

I'm glad you are finding some healing here. I also think we don't have so many folks who had surgery as a child and are here as an adult. Some but not so many. So that's good you can talk about that. I mean it's very valuable to me to hear what you are saying now about how you felt then because I think it is likely what my kids are feeling but may not be voicing to me.

So thanks.
                      sharon
                      Sharon...

I'm with you.

As I've mentioned before, I have a large collection of books on scoliosis, most of which are vintage. They all have pictures of kids in treatment. Many of those kids are wearing nothing. Many are in contraptions that look totally barbaric. I look at those pictures and can't imagine what it must have been like to have all that stuff happening to them, and then to top it off, have someone bring in a camera to memorialize it.

With that said, I think most of the doctors were just guilty of being a little insensitive. I don't think many of them were uncaring. Kids who went through what Brad went through may be the lucky ones. Looking at Brad's pre-op curve, I have very little doubt that he wouldn't be alive today had he not had surgery.

--Linda

Comment

LOL

You know Brad, If I had surgery today at 59 years old - I would be too young to understand what is going on (in detail). And I've never wanted to know - the sudden shift in curiosity is, curious! Hope you know you have my support and I know I have yours. At the end of the day - regardless of how much we know - support is what we all need. I'm glad you have found healing on these boards .. makes it all worth while. Thanks again for your support!

Comment

Sharon...

I'm with you.

As I've mentioned before, I have a large collection of books on scoliosis, most of which are vintage. They all have pictures of kids in treatment. Many of those kids are wearing nothing. Many are in contraptions that look totally barbaric. I look at those pictures and can't imagine what it must have been like to have all that stuff happening to them, and then to top it off, have someone bring in a camera to memorialize it.

With that said, I think most of the doctors were just guilty of being a little insensitive. I don't think many of them were uncaring. Kids who went through what Brad went through may be the lucky ones. Looking at Brad's pre-op curve, I have very little doubt that he wouldn't be alive today had he not had surgery.

--Linda
                          Yikes about the contraption pictures.

I think of Brad and what he is saying now as what my kids might later say when they are adults about their scoliosis treatment and overall journey. Kids don't know how to verbalize all their feelings but an adult like Brad, looking back, can. It's a valuable perspective to me, as valuable as exchanging info on surgery and bracing.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Definitely!

Comment

Sharon...

I'm with you.

--Linda
                              As much as I am a supporter of non surgical methods - I do understand the value and necessity of surgery in many cases. And it has been pointed out to me, that I could be one of those cases in the future, one never knows. Linda - I have only one vintage book in my possession and it is rather bland (as far as pictures go). The Schroth book (7th edition) however has pictures like you talk about. There are some cases so serious (in this book) that it would break the heart of the most insensitive person on earth (whoever that is). I'm glad our Brad avoided that. In the Schroth book many of the pictures are rather graphic, without covering so that the clinical features are obvious. Brave folks to allow such things in the pursuit of medical knowledge. Braver than me.

Do you have the book by Woodcock (1948)?

Comment

Yes, but I have a 1946 first edition, autographed.

Comment

Working...
                                X