Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strengthening one side/Stretching other side

Hi,

A Physical Therapist told me that my scoliosis can be improved by doing a side-lying plank exercise on my right side ( my spine curves to the right in the lumbar area) and stretching the left side. Is this true? My chiropractor said no, this will make my curve worse. Who is right? Anyone with a kinesiology degree know the answer. I don't want to make my curve worse. Thanks.

strengthen both sides equally

ScoliosisGal

I am not a physical therapist but I'd strengthen both sides equally with "The Plank" and other exercises.

Why?

To date the only physical therapy found to work is built on the concept of strengthening both sides equally.

Thread: Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliosisGal View Post
      Hi,

A Physical Therapist told me that my scoliosis can be improved by doing a side-lying plank exercise on my right side ( my spine curves to the right in the lumbar area) and stretching the left side. Is this true? My chiropractor said no, this will make my curve worse. Who is right? Anyone with a kinesiology degree know the answer. I don't want to make my curve worse. Thanks.
      I've heard this too (i.e. strengthen your convex side and stretch out your convex side). The reason for this way of thinking is that the muscles on your curved side (convex) are over-stretched due to the curve. Therefore, it seems logical to think they need to be contracted/strengthened. So, it stands to reason then that the opposite side of your curve (concave) are over-strengthened and need to be stretched out. I've been doing a PT approach like that for my scoliosis for a number of years now. I wasn't getting enough pain relief until I found Schroth. But, if PT helps to relieve any pain you might have and gets you moving better, etc., then go for it.

In Schroth, you focus on more than simply stretching out one side and strengthening the other side. Instead, you treat scoliosis in a 3 dimensional manner...meaning each exercise has you unrotating, strengthening, and lengthening your whole back (both sides). Schroth views the concave side as the "weak" side in scoliosis (which seems a little contrary to what I stated above) because those muscles can atrophy from disuse. So, by doing Schroth, you end up stretching AND strengthening your concave side (and your convex side) all at once.

Comment

Hi,

Hi there:
        I can help you come up with an exercise if you answer this:
        -to which side is the lumbar curve convex, and to which side is your thoracic spine convex? I was unsure from what you wrote, because some people describe a curve from the top down, and some from the bottom up.
        - do the tops of your pelvic bones sit fairly level, or is one hiked up?

Cheers,
        B.
        Bettina:
        - 34 year old physiotherapist
        - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
        - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Hi there:
          I can help you come up with an exercise if you answer this:
          -to which side is the lumbar curve convex, and to which side is your thoracic spine convex? I was unsure from what you wrote, because some people describe a curve from the top down, and some from the bottom up.
          - do the tops of your pelvic bones sit fairly level, or is one hiked up?

Cheers,
          B.
          Hi,

The lumbar curve is convex to the right side and the thoracic spine is convex on the left side if you are looking at me from the back.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a Schroth center in Los Angeles?

Comment

Hi,

The lumbar curve is convex to the right side and the thoracic spine is convex on the left side if you are looking at me from the back.
              That's opposite of the most common pattern, which is what I have. If you feel with your hands, the muscles on your left side should be softer and smaller than those on the right.

I'll try to desribe this Schroth exercise that I do (for my right side), for you to strengthen your left lumbar region.

Imagine a capital I that is wide and short. Your lumbar spine is the straight vertical line, and the bottom of your ribcage and the top of your pelvis are the wide horizontal lines. Right now the I is twisted, you must straighten it and hold it.

Standing feet wider than shoulders, knees bent a little.
              Draw your left ribcage forward a bit, push your left pelvis back a bit.
              Think about lengthening the lumbar spine a bit.
              Imagine your I is solid steel, you can't twist or bend it.
              Place your left foot a little further away and rotate out from your hip so your toe points out.
              Your right knee will need to bend more.
              "Tip" your body right as you do the above, do not let the I twist or bend and continue to elongate your body.
              Your left lumbar spine muscles should be working hard, your right should be relaxed.

There are several other steps that only a Schroth therapist would be able to give you, because I could never explain it well enough here. But, this is the basic excercise.

If you have strong shoulders, you could do a side plank between your elbow and knees. The side facing UP is the working side. You should definitely focus more reps on the weak side.

Good luck!
              Bettina:
              - 34 year old physiotherapist
              - main curve of 3 is mid-thoracic convex, approx 37 d.
              - my goal: to stay as upright, strong and painfree as I can, as long as I can.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find a Schroth center in Los Angeles?
                The closest that I know of in CA is Beatriz Torres (PT) in Palo Alto:
                Phone: 650-494-2359
                Email: btorres3380@sbcglobal.net
                http://www.scoliosispt.net/

Comment

Does anyone know anything about the Scoliosis Center in Los Angeles? Anyone ever been there?

Is the stronger side my left side? That's the higher hip and my waist is more defined on that side. When I do the side lying plank, that side needs to be facing up right?

Comment

Does anyone know anything about the Scoliosis Center in Los Angeles? Anyone ever been there?
                    I do not, but I do know it's Clear Institute based (not Schroth). There's actually a non surgical forum that is set up by a Clear Institute practitioner (www.fixscoliosis.com/forum/) if you're interested. You may be able to find more answers on that forum, but be aware that they are obviously supporters of that method. I researched it fully and didn't feel it was right for me.

Comment

I'm completely confused now... I should know convex/concave but I keep getting them confused.

When looking at me from the back it makes a "C" in my lumbar region. My left side (the side with the arc of the "C") is stronger- or so I think based on my back and ab definition than my right. I flex my left obliques to "push" my ribcage over to the right so that I'm making the "C" more narrow so its less noticeable therefore my right obliques hardly ever work...

Currently when I do a side plank I rest and lift the right side of my body (as in my right elbow is on the floor) I thought that was the way to work my right obliques... they were extremely sore the next day so I thought I was doing it correct- am I not?

Comment

I'm really confused now too. Looking at me from the back, I have a backwards C. My left waistline is more defined than my right so I would think that is the stronger side and I need to strenghten the opposite or right side, right?

Comment

Yes, this has me all confused also. I just wish I knew what is good for me - I am sure I am guessing all wrong. I went to a Clear Institute provider and saw all kinds of large, cumbersome machines, and she could not give me a long-term outcome report as "it's a fairly new treatment". Also it cost an arm and a leg. The Schroth (original method) sounds good. I will try to find one or else try the Alexander Technique class at my gym.
                          34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                          Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

i can't recommend schroth highly enough for someone that is looking for a targeted exercise based scoliosis program. before learning schroth i also didn't know what exactly was good or bad for my scoliosis. it's a very confusing thing because it's a complex 3 dimensional problem. i was doing PT and yoga, but i wasn't sure if i was doing the right poses, doing them properly, etc. but, now that i've been doing schroth faithfully for over 2 months my pain is almost non existent (and it was pretty bad before - i would feel like i needed to stretch in the morning before i could even think about starting my day - now i really feel pretty good when i wake up). plus, all the exercises i do now totally make sense, and i'm able to do them very well. it's worth it to take the time and the money to learn schroth. it's a small investment, and then you can be off on your own doing your exercises each day without having to worry about using machines, relying on practitioners, etc. (like with the clear institute method). it's very empowering, and i'm noticing postural changes already.

Comment

Thank you so much, Miss Emmy, for recommending the Scroth. In what part of the country do you live? I found one in Mass. but it's over $4000-- it would be nice to be able to spend less $$. I take it you learned it from a practitoner and not a book? I'd be happy to buy her book but learning in-person is helpful. Thanks, Christina
                              Last edited by dailystrength; 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM.
                              34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                              Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Working...
                              X