Can Anyone Please Explain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Please Explain...

Is scoliosis and the development of a thoracic curve strictly hereditary, or can scoliosis and a thoracic curve develop due to injuries to the back/spine/chest areas in an individual with no family/hereditary history of scoliosis?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Scoliosis is hereditary in some cases and not in others. Most people who have scoliosis have no other family members with scoliosis. And, I think that some professionals believe that it can be caused by severe trauma.

Also, functional scoliosis can be caused by pain or trauma. Functional scoliosis is characterized by curves that can be corrected by the individual by movement of their muscles.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda. Please clarify something for me I am not fully understanding.

You said, "functional scoliosis can be caused by pain or trauma. Functional scoliosis is characterized by curves that can be corrected by the individual by movement of their muscles."

Does this basically mean that it is possible to correct or reverse the development of a bone curve in the spine (or even the chest/rib area) through exercise (movement of their muscles) that targets specific areas?

Thank you again for the input. I have done internet searches on this, and just cannot seem to find definitive answers, which prompted me to ask here since so many of you have in-depth and personal knowledge of this.

Comment

Yes, for the very small number of people who have functional scoliosis, exercise can resolve the problem.

Your scoliosis is definitely not functional.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X