Scary one coming up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary one coming up.

For those who have followed my saga of back problems, it looks like it's just about over. I have had this MRSA infection for almost a year now. They have opened me up and washed out my hardware 3 times and it comes back with a vengeance each time. At first I was told that the MRSA hides out in the hardware and it would need to be removed (the hardware) to be sure to get all the infection. When I first got this junk I wasn't fused yet so that wasn't going to be an option taking it out. Finley last Friday I had a CAT scan and I'm good to go. Everything is fused and there is no danger of re breaking anything. I am set to have it removed July 7th. I am very leery however at this point as I have had rods holding me up, and now I will be on my own with no support. I assume this fear will go away as time goes by and the thought of no more MRSA is a good thing. If anyone has had hardware removed maybe you can tell me how long it took to except it, and no longer worry about being hardware free.
    Thanks for the input. I sure need the mental help right now.
    Jess (Backtalk)
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Originally posted by BackTalk View Post
    For those who have followed my saga of back problems, it looks like it's just about over. I have had this MRSA infection for almost a year now. They have opened me up and washed out my hardware 3 times and it comes back with a vengeance each time. At first I was told that the MRSA hides out in the hardware and it would need to be removed (the hardware) to be sure to get all the infection. When I first got this junk I wasn't fused yet so that wasn't going to be an option taking it out. Finley last Friday I had a CAT scan and I'm good to go. Everything is fused and there is no danger of re breaking anything. I am set to have it removed July 7th. I am very leery however at this point as I have had rods holding me up, and now I will be on my own with no support. I assume this fear will go away as time goes by and the thought of no more MRSA is a good thing. If anyone has had hardware removed maybe you can tell me how long it took to except it, and no longer worry about being hardware free.
    Thanks for the input. I sure need the mental help right now.
    Jess (Backtalk)
    Hi Jess....

The rods only "held you up" until fusion took hold. If your fusion is solid (there's really no way to know for certain), the rods can be safely removed.

Good luck with your surgery. A friend of mine was in the same boat as you (with multiple openings to clean out the infection). She had her rods removed probably 3-4 years ago now, and has been completely infection and pain free ever sense. She felt that the rod removal surgery was pretty easy.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Jess,

You've really been through it, haven't you! I'm glad to hear you are fused and I hope removing the hardware solves the MRSA problem. Best of luck to you!
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jess,

I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you've had with MRSA. Wishing you all the best for a successful outcome on July 7. Best to you. Chris

Comment

Best of luck, Jess!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jess.

After all that you have been through, I hope that this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep your spirits up. We are all rooting for you.

p

Comment

Same here, Jess. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Rod removal

Hey,
                Read my "Rod Removal Monday AHHH" and I talk about my surgery on June 22, best of luck. Email me if you have more questions.
                Angela

Comment

Good Luck Jess with your surgery on July 7!!!
                  I hope this is the start of a great year for you , MRSA FREE

Best Wishes,
                  Kristy
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Oh Jess, you certainly have been through it haven't you, you poor thing, all the best for July7, thinking of you from down under xx

Lorraine.
                    Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                    Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Best of luck on the 7th. I hope everything works out for you and you're finally infection free.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jess, I wish you good health and fast healing, no infections! Remember to take it easy. Lesley
                        Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                        Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                        T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                        Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                        Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                        Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                        Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                        Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Well I'm home and it's all over. Everything went just fine but boy I'm in a world of hurt right now. I want to thank you all for the kind words and prayers and thoughts.I will keep you up to date on my rehab time.
                          Thanks again
                          Jess
                          http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...h/DSCF3998.jpg
                          March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
                          15 1/2 Hours
                          Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                            Best of luck on the 7th. I hope everything works out for you and you're finally infection free.
                            Hi Debbie,
                            I was told my mine would never progress after wearing the boston brace cause I was treated also while I was still growing but from reading info on the internet and forums I'm a little confused. I had a 45 degree thoracic and a 39 degree and after wearing my brace it reduced it to 29 and 25 degrees, the doctors were amazed. Since then, I have now had four children and I feel as though it is worse than 29 and 25 but the doctors did say it may go to 45 and 39 again but not worse. Is that the information you have been given?

Comment

Jess

Hope you heal fast, you deserve it.....

That hardware deserves framing! Nice rack!

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X