Aed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aed?

I just completed CPR and AED training. They taught us to remove anything metal before administering the shock. Does anyone know if rods would interfer or worsen the condition if one were to be shocked with spinal hardware?
    Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
    Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

I am certified in CPR and AED, and I don't recall being taught to "remove anything metal." I wouldn't take the time do remove, rings, etc. Time is critical in the event of cardiac arrest.

If the victim were holding onto a metal bar, for instance, and you were as well, that would transmit an electrical current to you.

That being said, as far as a rod goes, or any other metal in ones body, it would be the least of my concerns if it meant saving someones life.

Comment

Now that's something I never thought about.

I'll be interested to know how the shock would affect patients with rods, if anyone can tell us.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

FYI...I requested more info on this from the American Heart Association. If you are interested in their response!

"Thank you for contacting the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association.

In regards to your email, implanted prosthetic orthopedic devices do not pose a harm and are not included in the CPR guidelines of devices to avoid or consider alternative placement of defibrillator pads. External metal and body piercings that may interfere with defib pad placement are included in the guidelines and are recommended to be removed when possible

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to write again or call 1-800-AHA-USA1 (242-8721). We are here to serve you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thank you and have a great day.

Sincerely,
        American Heart Association
        National Service Center
        Customer Service
        www.americanheart.org
        (800) AHA-USA1"
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Thanks Rachael, for going to the trouble of finding that out for us!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X