Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Removal Monday--AHHH

Hello guys,
    I want to thank everyone for all the information and experiences you have shared. This is my first time writing in and I am a bit nervous, I am having my rods taken out on Monday the 22nd. I got them placed when I was DX with scoliosis in 1991 when I was 14, now at 32 the pain has become unbearable. I have been very active and I hate not being able to do all I want to do. My back is a mess, but they plan on taking the rods out to see if that helps with the pain. I hope so otherwise I wont know what to do. The right rod came out of place at the bottom when I was runnng track in college, since I did hurdles my coach told me they could not be liable so that was the end of that and the beginning of chronic pain. So now it hurts all the time and it hurts when I bend over, which I think is a different problem with my back. The doctors dont want to talk about fusing the rest of me because they said I should take the pain as long as I can before doing the full fusion as my quality of life would change. Another doctor was ready to fuse all of me so this at least is a more conservative approach.

I wonder how my healing is going to be. I am living in Pensacola, but I am driving all the way to TX to do my surgery. I feel more comfortable doing this as they specialize in scoliosis and no one in FLorida does. My husband is staying for 1 week and then I will stay with my family. If anyone has had these rods removed, how long will it take for my body to heal. I want to fly home as I dont think I will be up for a 10 hour drive and need to book a flight home. I appreciate feedback from anyone.
    Also, will I be laid out in bed or will I be mobile? Can I go places or will I be at home just watching movies.

Thank you
    Angela

Angela.

If all goes well, you should be out and about in a week or so. They will probably get you out of bed the next day after surgery. The sooner you get moving the better.

When I had my rods out, I was told that it wouldn't fix all of my pain because I had additional problems. It did, however, take away the most unbearable pain. I waited 7 more years before I had another fusion. Having the rods out can buy you some time.

The quality of my life after my second fusion has only changed for the better. I am fused to S1 and I feel great.

Can't comment on the travel.

Best wishes for a rapid recovery.

p

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info. I am nervous I hope it all goes well too. I finally got an email from the doctor saying I would be in 3 to 5 days. I wish they would have told me what to eat today. I will keep you updated. Thanks again.
      Angela

Comment

Originally posted by rizomona View Post
        I am living in Pensacola, but I am driving all the way to TX to do my surgery. I feel more comfortable doing this as they specialize in scoliosis and no one in FLorida does.
        Not sure where you heard that, but it's far from true.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Out of rod removal surgery

Hello guys,

Thanks for your support. I went into surgery Monday Morning it took about 2.5 hours and they said it went well. I was in recovery for a bit and then to my room. I was in excruciating pain. All I did was moan and push the morphine button. It was hard to do anything or get comfortable. My Dr. was Rex Marco and his assistant Jerry and they were quite wonderful. Dr. Marco is a bit quiet and you feel the need to talk, but Jerry does great for filling in conversation. The operation was done at Methodist hospital in Houston at the medical center. Amazing facility with an even amazing staff.
          The first day they tried to make me stand up and it was horrible. The second day I stood up and walked four steps, I cried and kept hyperventilating from the pain. I could not breathe and all I did was whine like a little baby. It was hard to really breathe and use all of my lungs as they hurt all the muscles in my back. Getting in and out of ned was also a huge pain. I needed assitance for everything. They wanted me to go home soon, but I did not feel ready as I could not do anything on my own at first. The thrid day I woke up more sore than before. In the morning I could not get up for PT. I stood and blacked out and was sweating profusely. I was so discouraged and the PT person scared me and it was too much. I cried and was again upset. Later that day I did much better. I was determined to get up, plus they were going to take away my morphine drip, IV, and catheter. I was scared into thinlking I was not going to be able to make it to the bathroom. So I practiced walking with my family between PT sessions. Much better by the end of the day. They said I should go home that day. Another problem I was having was using the bathroom. My stomach was filled with air and I could not pass gas and I could barely burp. It was tight and it looked like I was pregnant. The internal doctor that came in and checked on me said that I needed to walk and try to pass gas and it was not happenning. On day 3 they decided to do an enema as I was not going home. I was requesting simethicone (gas -es) every four hours. It was horrible pain. The pain over took the back pain I was having. The enema helped a tiny bit but still no BM. THey said I needed a BM before going home. I was in incredible pain between the my back and my tummy. That wed they took x-rays of my stomach and they said it was filled with air. On Thursday I was ready to go home, but to no avail nothing. SO they did a suppository and finally I was able to have a small BM. SO I was given a bath and released in the afternoon YEEEHHHH. THe ride home was horrrrible. Take lots of pillows. I could not stand anything putting pressure on my bandages in my back and holding my self up was also not pleasant. By the time I made it home I was tired and in excruciating pain. All I seem to do is sleep and find a way to be comfortable and walk around to wear off stiffness. That is what I am doing now. So I got home Thursday and I still can not pass a BM at home. They gave me daily laxative and a stool softener for 2 times a day. My tummy feels bloated and I can't burp or do anything. SO I am still in pain form my back and tummy. I can get out of bed, however we had to take the frame off the high bed so I could reach and can maneuver in and out of bed on my own. It takes a bit and it is painful, but at least some independence. I also sit and walk around like a big fat pregnant lady. They call me a frog.
          Well now I am off to bed again to try and find a way to be comfortable. I am never up this early except to stretch and move around to release the stiffness and pain. If you have any questions please email me. Thanks for your support.

Angela Bishop

Comment

Angela, can you get Nu-lax in the US? I went 9 days in hospital without a BM and they tried everything, laxatives, stool softeners, suppositories, enemas, high fibre, lots of water, you name it. My friend brought in some Nu-lax and I had a BM three hours later. Boy, did I have a BM!

That pregnant tum does nothing to ease the pain in your back, I reckon! Good luck.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

thanks

I do not know if I can get it, but I will look it up now. I know I feel like I am going to look pregnant all the time. I am healing well and can move around much better which is great. Thanks again
              Angela

Comment

hi Angela, and I hope you're feeling better every day! For constipation- have you tried good ole' Milk of Magnesia? MOM does the trick- it draws water intot he bowels and you have effects within 4 hrs. of taking it. Sometimes MOM can be taken just for indigestion, too- it depends on the amount. 1tsp (5cc's) for indigestion versus 2 TBSP (30 cc's) for constipation. read the label- but MillkOfMagnesia always works for me! I sympathize with you, it's bad enough recovering from surgical pain, without having excrutiating abdominal cramps/ gas pains too! hope you get relief soon! Jamie
                57 years old.
                thoracic curve 68 degrees
                lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

Hi Angela,

I didn't have a BM for the 9 days that I was in the hospital either, but they did let me go home. When I got home, I drank a bottle of magnesium citrate and it worked. That stuff is not meant to be taken on a regular basis though. My mom brought me some of this http://www.amazon.com/Schulzes-Intes...6729689&sr=8-1. It was the only thing that worked for me while I was on narcotics. If you do buy it, make sure you eat before taking it.

Shell
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees
                  December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2
                  Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi!!
                    I didn't have a BM for over a week after my surgery. But I drank lots of prune juice (nasty) haha, and ate prunes, and lots of other fruits. Seemed to help. =)
                    Hope you are doing better now!! =) Sending hugs!! =)
                    Diagnosed in '06'
                    Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
                    Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
                    Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
                    Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
                    Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
                    I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

I had rod removal surgery on Feb 17, 2009 due to a MRS staph infection I had on my hardware for two years. I was not in pain when I woke up and I had 3 tubes in my bad draining for the infection. I had a pain pump and kept pumping it, just in case. The next day I ask them to take the pain pump out; I wasn’t using it so it was removed. I got up the day after surgery, I walked around used the bathroom and took one pain pill in the morning and one at night. After the first day I only took pain meds at night so I could sleep better (hard to sleep or rest in hospitals). I spent 6 days in hospital I would have been released sooner but paper work mess up stuck me there over the weekend. I was in pain but not unbearable. As far as bathroom trouble, the day after surgery I asked the nurse for something to make me go to the bathroom because my first surgery 2 years ago I had a terrible time to go to the bathroom the nurse gave me some white liquid stuff for 2 days and it worked great. I was home from work for 8 weeks and was driving in a month. I just wanted to tell my story because it wasn’t as bad as some other people experiences, every - body is different. Angela, I am so sorry to hear of your bad pain and experience, I hope you are feeling better.

Sue

Comment

I had rod removal surgery on Feb 17, 2009 due to a MRS staph infection I had on my hardware for two years. I was not in pain when I woke up and I had 3 tubes in my bad draining for the infection. I had a pain pump and kept pumping it, just in case. The next day I ask them to take the pain pump out; I wasn’t using it so it was removed. I got up the day after surgery, I walked around used the bathroom and took one pain pill in the morning and one at night. After the first day I only took pain meds at night so I could sleep better (hard to sleep or rest in hospitals). I spent 6 days in hospital I would have been released sooner but paper work mess up stuck me there over the weekend. I was in pain but not unbearable. As far as bathroom trouble, the day after surgery I asked the nurse for something to make me go to the bathroom because my first surgery 2 years ago I had a terrible time to go to the bathroom the nurse gave me some white liquid stuff for 2 days and it worked great. I was home from work for 8 weeks and was driving in a month. I just wanted to tell my story because it wasn’t as bad as some other people experiences, every - body is different. Angela, I am so sorry to hear of your bad pain and experience, I hope you are feeling better.
                        Sue

Comment

thanks for Great info

Thank you guys for great info. I am regular again so that is always good. My muscle pain from surgery is not too bad, I still cant bend over, but am moving around all by myself. I went to my surgeon for my follow up and he said I was a good healer. This made me happy, however I feel scared that I might always be in pain. I hate hurting after doing not much of anything. I also worry because I asked my surgeon if there was a chance I could curve again now that the rods are out and he said yes. I was not ready for that. I asked what I could do to prevent it and he said to keep bars in.. haha too late for that. I pray that that wont happen. I actually drove some today and went to the store, but within 20 minutes my back pain was beyong uncomfortable. I hate that I hurt so much after doing so little, but it has only been three weeks so can't complain. I go back to work Aug 3 and I am a preschool special ed teacher that works with children with autism. What if I can't do it or am not ready. ahhhhhh. Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

Working...
                          X