my appointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my appointment

So I just came back from my appointment with my doctor and I'm very pleased.
    My curves are 70* 90* 50*.
    My fusion will be huge, from T2 to L5. basically all my back will be fused. They will use my ribs as for fusion. The anterior scar will be about 3in. below my belly button. My back scar... well it's going to cover my whole back.
    I am worry about my motion and movement. The Doc says that I will not loose a lot of movements since I am already using my lower back for motion. He says it'll be the same. I don't know about that though... Because we are talking about my whole back being fused. does anyone here with a long fusion like this? how is it? can you move freely? what movements can and can't you do?
    I feel confident with him. I like him.
    anyways, this is my update for now.
    Ah, I am schedule for the end of August.
    P.
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    So I just came back from my appointment with my doctor and I'm very pleased.
    My curves are 70* 90* 50*.
    My fusion will be huge, from T2 to L5. basically all my back will be fused. They will use my ribs as for fusion. The anterior scar will be about 3in. below my belly button. My back scar... well it's going to cover my whole back.
    I am worry about my motion and movement. The Doc says that I will not loose a lot of movements since I am already using my lower back for motion. He says it'll be the same. I don't know about that though... Because we are talking about my whole back being fused. does anyone here with a long fusion like this? how is it? can you move freely? what movements can and can't you do?
    I feel confident with him. I like him.
    anyways, this is my update for now.
    Ah, I am schedule for the end of August.
    P.
    Hi Pilar...

I'm fused just a little shorter, from T4-L3, but I have disc problems in the L3-L4 and L4-L5 discs. Most movement comes from the lumbar and hip area. So, while you'll notice a slight difference, if you're like me, it will be less than you envisioned. The only time it's noticeable to me is if I'm trying to do something like put on pantyhose.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sorry, I actually just remember that the fusion will be to my pelvis.( S1) The anterior will be from L4/5 to S1. The posterior will be from T2 to L4. ahhhh that's too much! It 's my entire back basically. I'm so bumped out!
      Now age 32
      Dr. Robert Pashman
      Before and after xrays :

Comment

also waiting

dear pilar
        i read what you said about your boyfriend not wanting you to have surgery (it was on your other thread)....my husband doesnt want me to have surgery either, but as the months go on and i get worse, he is starting to change his mind...i spend half the day in bed!

about the long fusion..i will not go as high up my back, but will go all the way down, (starting around T4) and yes, it is terrifying...but the doctors tell me that without it, the rods are not "stabilized," and we will end up going back again for more surgery! so i guess that is the reason it is necessary...if you ask your dr. the reason for it, he may tell you the same...?

take care...best of luck
        jrnyc (jess)

Comment

Pilar,
          I'm sorry you will have such a long fusion. I know the thought of such a major surgery is scary but look at what you already deal with on a daily basis. We scolios are a pretty hearty bunch!

I'm fused T-10-L-5. The biggest issue I have as far as loss of motion is, um, taking care of business after going to the bathroom. I absolutely cannot rotate to my right and don't have a lot of motion to the left. HOWEVER, I am proud to say I've never had to ask my husband for help. After 23 years of marriage and 3 kids, there's not a lot he hasn't helped with, but it's just about the only tiny bit of dignity I have left and I'm hangin' on to it!

Best of luck!
          Becky, 46 years old
          Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
          Ignored until 448/07
          Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
          Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
          Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
          Fused T-10 to L-5
          14 titanium pedicle screws
          Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
          Email

Comment

Becky,
            hahahhaa yes, I will never ask for something like that either. I will create some technology to wipe my own... hahahaha
            yeah, the thought of loosing motion is so depressing, but I guess if I don't get this surgery done I will loose motion anyways plus the pain plus the deformity. ahhh I have to do it.
            Now age 32
            Dr. Robert Pashman
            Before and after xrays :

Comment

oh, jess...
              yes, he told me the same thing ( my doctor), that if I don't get this long fusion, I will be going to see him again for another surgery in the future. That is something that I stress to him, I don't want to be in the operating room again for this issue. I want to get it over with!
              Now age 32
              Dr. Robert Pashman
              Before and after xrays :

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                Sorry, I actually just remember that the fusion will be to my pelvis.( S1) The anterior will be from L4/5 to S1. The posterior will be from T2 to L4. ahhhh that's too much! It 's my entire back basically. I'm so bumped out!
                Pilar...

You should understand that, with your large curves, you don't have much of a choice. You can put off surgery, but you'll probably eventually have to do something anyway. (Actually, it's possible that if you'd had the surgery when you were younger, you might have avoided having to have your lumbar curve instrumented at all.)

Having implants all the way to the sacrum or ilium will definitely limit flexibility more than it does to L4, but it's still not the end of the world. There are a lot of people here who have been fused that low. Hopefully some of them can reassure you that you'll still have a normal life. I know a lot of people fused as high and low as you'll be, and I can tell you that they look and move just like the rest of us.

Hang in there, kiddo, you'll get through this.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks sooo much Linda!!!
                  Now age 32
                  Dr. Robert Pashman
                  Before and after xrays :

Comment

Pilar--
                    We will be exactly the same T2-Sacrum. You got the same news that sent me in a spin. Both doctors I saw for opinions said it had to go to sacrum. That was the one thing I wanted to avoid. They said also if I didn't have it done I'd be back in a year for more. So I finally accepted that. I just happened to be on the "revisionist surgery" today and noticed several who had to go back for more. I didn't want to do that.
                    I don't know if you've followed any of my posts but I'm doing remarkably well for 11 weeks out. I did lots of exercise anyway and then really upped it before surgery--I think that's helped me regain strength etc. . I don't know how much you are able to do with your pain but any would probably be helpful.
                    I've got a long way to go and of course no BLT--bend, lift, twist while waiting for fusion . Only bending from hip I assume will be a given but from on here I find that everyone eventually finds ways to do lots of things eventually. I'm already mostly walking with no canes most of the time in the house. I am much straighter and would say so far so good. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

ha funny, I just sent you a private message. It seems that we were writing to each other at the same time.
                      Now age 32
                      Dr. Robert Pashman
                      Before and after xrays :

Comment

It's normal to be frightened of this surgery and all its implications. I am fused T4-pelvis and I have lost some flexibility. It does seem to be improving though because I can now shave my legs, at 3 months post-op.

I did not have any toileting problems so it's not a given that you will. But as you say, if you do, you will find a way! A pair of kitchen tongs comes to mind. I still think it's a small price to pay.

I cannot get socks on unaided which is a pain, but I remind myself that my old age is not going to be crippled and painful and I'm happy with these few restrictions. And it's not so bad that I can't scrub the shower recess, toilets or bath and I'm not in a hurry to learn. (About time someone else did that job!)
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          It's normal to be frightened of this surgery and all its implications. I am fused T4-pelvis and I have lost some flexibility. It does seem to be improving though because I can now shave my legs, at 3 months post-op.

I did not have any toileting problems so it's not a given that you will. But as you say, if you do, you will find a way! A pair of kitchen tongs comes to mind. I still think it's a small price to pay.

I cannot get socks on unaided which is a pain, but I remind myself that my old age is not going to be crippled and painful and I'm happy with these few restrictions. And it's not so bad that I can't scrub the shower recess, toilets or bath and I'm not in a hurry to learn. (About time someone else did that job!)
                          Hi Jennifer...

Do a Google search on "sock puller." It's an inexpensive devise that makes it very simple to pull on your own socks.

Regards,
                          Linda

Comment

I was fused T2 thru S2 in Apr 08. I am 55 years young, female, and married. I was actually "given" tongs for personal hygiene. I opted for help from hubby! Those tongs just didn't cut it. After about 8 weeks, I was able to take care of business all by myself. And I can't l lean left or right too far, so that should explain enough! That was about the only goal I could think of when I started physical therapy: personal hygiene. Even though I've had two other surgeries since then (one to remove clamp at about T4, and one to revise, fuse fracture at T3), I now (proundly) say I can put on my own sandles, complete with buckles, and ride on the back of my husband's Harley!
                            Life does get better. As the pain decreases, the abilities just roll in. I have had to adapt some movements, but it pretty much comes naturally. I just have to plan ahead if I'm going to pick something off the ground, otherwise I overshoot the dropped item. And it's hard to inch your way backwards or forwards to get it!

Loving all the healing pains I have,and hoping everyone has a GREAT fourth!
                            Les
                            Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                            Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                            T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                            Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                            Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                            Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                            Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                            Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                            Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
                            X