Thread: Scoliosis - 80+ curve

Scoliosis - 80+ curve

I am fairly new here and very much appreciate this site a lot already! I already feel like I am not alone - which makes me feel much better. I had no clue there were so many of us in this same situation with scoliosis.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has had muscle spasms around the side toward the front? I get (what I guess) are like a muscle spasm and when this occurs I can hardly move until it passes. Does this make sense? I have a 80+ curve and waiting to see Dr. Lenke on Aug 19th. I'm having a little troubel breathing, which conerns me. I've noticed it anytime I'm doing anything strenous, I puff a lot! And, like when I'm in conversation I just can't seem to get enough air.
    This may sound weird - but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced such?

THANKS MUCH

Yes those are all symptoms associated with severe curves. I suggest you get in with your doctor ASAP. August 19th seems too far away, was that the soonest you could get in?
    I hope you are doing okay, there are many other people out there and on this site going through the same thing as you don't ever feel left out because you are for sure not the only person.
    Good luck and God bless you!

Hello Sarah,
    Aug 19th was the soonest I could get in with Dr. Lenke. Sure seems like a long ways off to me. But, I don't want to go to anyone else, so guess I will wait. I take Hydrocodne and some kinda pain patch but it makes me feel really bad too. So, don't know that being in pain isn't better anyway.
    Thanks for the encouragement. i appreciate that mor ethan you know!

You could always ask Dr. Lenke's office to call you if they have a cancellation. I suggest doing everything possible to keep aerobic like walking. I had that same issue before my surgery. I walked as much as possible to keep as fit as possible.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

I will do my best. But, one of my biggest problems is when I'm walking I just get so miserable and so out of breath. Then, I just have to go find a place to sit and at that time I'm just as miserable as I possibly can get. But, once I sit for a few minutes I'm back tolerable again. But, it makes me not want to get up again soon I have to say. I wonder if there are any repercussions to if you wait too long to have this surgery?

also waiting

HI rita,
    i am also waiting, cause i am still deciding...have a 60 degree curve lower and 40 upper..we will only operate on the lower...am still consulting with doctors, but will probably go with dr lonner in nyc...
    also, i am older...and curve has progressed since they found it when i was 31 years old...so one suffers from delay, as i am living proof of...

best of luck in all you decide...
    jess
    jrnyc

Hello Jrnyc:
    Thanks for the response. Good luck, too, with what you decide.