hello all =]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Megz,
    Is October 15th the first time ever for you to see Dr. Rand? Did Dr. Jenis set up the appointment for you? The Autumn seems to be a very busy time for Dr. Rand. He usually takes a vacation in late August/early September and combines it with the Scoliosis Research Society's meeting in September, so I think a lot of appointments get backed up then. I just called for my almost two year appointment and wanted September. No luck. My appointment is the week after yours in October. If you have never met Dr. Rand, I think that you will probably love him. He is very kind and compassionate and very thorough. I'm really sorry you have to wait so long.
    How is the physical therapy going? That should kill a lot of time and help to make your body stronger. Will you have someone to help you recover from the surgery? You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sally

Sorry I haven't replied =] I start physical therapy tomorrow!..Lets hope that this will help out with the pain. Yep October 15 will be my first appointment with Dr. Rand. No Jenis only referred me..he never set up the appointment..I have to call Dr. Rand office and wait to hear from them when he looked over my CT..Once he saw my CT his secretary called and gave me the date for Oct. 15..I have no doubt he will be a pleasant doctor..I just wish he wasn't soo booked =/ This pain is unbearable some days..Its hard for me to just get out of bed..After surgery my mom will help me out..plus I like with my roommates so I sure I can call on them ha ha =] I'll have to get myself a bell or something hehehe
      Thank you for all your kind thoughts..
      xo megz

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
      Fused T2-Pelvis
      Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Hello Megz,
        I, too, can sympathize with your pain. I have tons of pain. And, I have these muscle spasms-like going around my side to the front. At times I can hardly walk until it passes. Having surgery can't hurt much worse than this, is what I keep thinking. My days - some are worse tahn others. Tonight is rather bad, but I just got done cooking dinner - time out of my chair and on my feet, mornings and evenings, are the worst.
        Keep plugging away - We'll sympathize with each other. I have 80+ degree curve and appointment with Dr. Lenke Aug 19th. Wow - still long ways off!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Megz

You mentioned that you were just recently diagnosed with scoliosis. You never had an x-ray done of your spine through the years? With having an 80 degree curve, you must have had pain through the years? When were you dxd with OI?

Sorry about all the questions but I was wondering how you made it so long (age 26) without knowing? You must have a rib hump, or lower spinal hump, did you notice? I take it that there was no school screening?

It might not be a bad idea to call Dr Rands office and explain that your pain is bad, and could they call you if there is a cancellation. Cancellations happen often, and there is a good chance of this happening. Same for you Rita.

I waited 34 years for my surgery. That was a long time, and I used all sorts of techniques for pain control. It might not be a bad idea to go and get a good massage. I found that if I spent 30 minutes in hot water, the massage was more beneficial. A good masseuse will push and apply pressure to counter your curves, and it feels great.

How was the PT?
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hey ed

Nope, never did my orthopedic ever take pictures of my spine..whenever I went to the hospital it was always my femur or timbia rarely an arm here or there..I was always back pain free..School had screenings but for some reason I was always exempted..When I went to the pain managment center..they were really shocked that I let it get to 80 degrees..but honestly, I was never in that much pain..I may have been in some discomfort a few years back, but surgury was never an option then for me.. I do have some disformity in my back and I had learned to deal with it by wearing baggier shirts..I have always been self concience of myself.. But I honestly just thought it was because I had OI..It wasn't until this past April I got tired in being in constant pain and decided I NEEDED something to be done..I booked an apt with my Ortho and he took an x-ray of my lower back..Thats when he determind I had an 80 degree curve..He didn't seem too concerned and told me to follow up with this lou Jennins..I waited months an never heard anything from him I called every other day, finally a month ago he told me that this was to big of a curve for him to deal with and referred me over to Dr. Rand..He got back to me a week later and gave me the date for October 15..I went to PT today and he just did the basic examination..He did a little massage trying to figure out where the pain and stuff was..It feel great when he was massaging the area!! haha
            He wants me to go 3x a week for 2 weeks in the pool and then the next two weeks 2 x in the pool and 1x on land.. He wants to do alot of pilates stretches and stuff..but I like your idea of the massages better!!!

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
              Hello Megz,
              I, too, can sympathize with your pain. I have tons of pain. And, I have these muscle spasms-like going around my side to the front. At times I can hardly walk until it passes. Having surgery can't hurt much worse than this, is what I keep thinking. My days - some are worse tahn others. Tonight is rather bad, but I just got done cooking dinner - time out of my chair and on my feet, mornings and evenings, are the worst.
              Keep plugging away - We'll sympathize with each other. I have 80+ degree curve and appointment with Dr. Lenke Aug 19th. Wow - still long ways off!
              Rita =]
              I have the pain right under my ribs on the right side..my side sort of goes in due to the scoliosis..I can only keep telling myself it will get better..I have those same days..If I am out for a long time and EXSPECIALLY if I am walking around all day loonnng..Its the worst!! I hear ya I have mine the 15th of October and It seems forever!! Do you go to PT..I had my initial appointment today. It seems like it may work. I'll be going in a 95 degree pool 3 times a week for 2 weeks and then 2x times a week and one time with my pt for another two weeks..anything to help with the pain =]
              Where is Dr. Lenke?! Do you have any deformity due to your scoliosis? Where you ever diagnoised as a kid?

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

wow

Wow! I find it hard to believe that an orthopedic didn't see, or suspect your scoli, and didn't even take an x-ray.......

This is why x-rays are absolutely necessary with scoliosis...... There is NO debate here.........

The pool will help. If it works, ask to go every day. Tell him you need massages to control your pain.

Massage is a very simple solution and is not asking too much.

I'm speechless, all I can say is "wow"

wow
                Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hi, I am also one of Dr. Rand's patients and I am very pleased with my results and with him. He can appear to be rather detached but he isn't. My suggestion for pain is to go to your gp for pain management. That is what I did and have been doing for sometime. I can tell you that Dr. Rand would not want you to be suffering with pain. He will do everything he can to manage your pain after surgery and there is no reason you should be suffering like this now. Try your gp. They have very powerful drugs to help you during surgery and after, so you should not have to suffer so now. My first appointment with him was November and my surgery was in the middle of February. I also suggest calling at least weekly to find out if they have any earlier cancellations. Good luck with your appointment and with your surgery when you have it and please find a good gp to get some pain meds from. You don't deserve to suffer.
                  avis
                  Last edited by theizzard; 06-24-2009, 05:11 AM. Reason: bad grammar
                  1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                  2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                  2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    With having an 80 degree curve, you must have had pain through the years? Ed
                    Not necessarily. Ed, I went pain free for years despite a large progressive curve. My problems first surfaced four years ago at age 56. That’s when I learned I had a 75 degree curve. Even though surgery certainly would have been easier on me even 10 years ago, I’m not sure anyone could have convinced me to go through with it when I was having no pain whatsoever.

Comment

Chris

When were you dxd? I find it hard to believe that nobody notices 80 degree curves, pain or not. There has to be "some sort" of indicator, something, that either the patient notices, or at least someone at the hospital picks up on.

The fact that these things happen, should trigger a mandatory x-ray for everyone. Age 10, 15, 20. or some sort of frequency. X-rays are so easy, and at least would give a heads up on things.

We go to scoli meetings down in Sacramento, and I can tell who is fused, and who isn't from 300yards!!!! LOL

I mentioned this to Suzy, and we were both picking everyone out, guessing cobb angles all in good fun.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I didn't know I had scoliosis until I was 40 years old. Either I didn't have it until then or it just wasn't bad. I had back surgery when I was 35 and not a word about scoliosis was mentioned. It began to rear it's ugly curvy head in my fifties and I had surgery in February at the age of 58.
                        avis
                        1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                        2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                        2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Megz,
                          I am a patient of Dr Rand's as well. I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain and that you have to wait so long. Four months seems like forever when you are in pain. I hope the PT helps until you can get in to see Dr Rand. The others have given you several great suggestions that should help get you through a little more comfortably.

I would like to add that I found accupuncture to be very helpful in managing my pain before surgery, and that I spent my waiting time reading as much as I could about the surgery here on the forum and in books. The NSF store has several good selections. I bought David Wolpert's Scoliosis Surgery, The Definitive Patient's Reference and found it to be very informative. I also used the book and tape that Sally suggested by Peggy Huddleston.

Take care.
                          -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                          Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                          Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                          Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            Chris

When were you dxd?
                            Ed

I diagnosed myself when I was around 15. At the time I remember reading about Isabella Rosellini and her scoliosis and wondering if my being a twin like her had anything to do with it. There were no school screenings where I went to school; and the family doctor, while he made house calls back then, never checked spines. When I was around 20 I saw an orthopedic surgeon out of cosmetic concerns who told me nothing could be done. Considering the success rate for scoliois surgery back then, I’m glad he did. One of the surgeons with whom I consulted told me that had I been surgically treated years ago, I most certainly would have required a revision by now. Over the years, doctors that I saw never made a big deal about my scoliois, maybe because I never complained about being in pain.

Comment

Working...
                            X