Torso Rotation Strength Training for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    It's how she makes her living. I would estimate that it's on the order of 40 hours a week.

http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com
    Welp, that beats Hawes. And here I was impressed with Hawes doing it for 4 hours a day for several years.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      Sharon can obviously speak for herself, but I suspect her point is that it's unlikely that the most of us are willing to spend 40 hours a week for the rest of our lives, to retain any correction.
      Some of us non-yoga instructors have families and non-exercise-related careers.

Newsflash for certain exercise professionals.
      Last edited by Pooka1; 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by betty14 View Post
        Nothing in life is permanent, including life. But if this lady maintains her structure and function into her elderly years, with significantly less deterioration than others who did not take her course of action, isn't that to be applauded? And so what if she has to continue to exercise for the rest of her life?
        By the way, the same potential criticism of bracing applies to exercise... that of potentially delaying versus avoiding surgery when there are many good reasons to get fusion at a younger versus older age.

If folks get old enough, they might not have the ability to do the hours(?) a day to maintain the stability and would not necessarily be well situated to tolerate surgery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally Posted by Pooka1

Okay that's three.

Just curious... does she have some rational reason why she thinks the improvement is permanent or is it wishful thinking?

[/QUOTE]

Regarding the above exchange:

Linda, since you do not know how many per day she exercises, how do you know it is "a lot"? A person who enjoys working out may find an hour per day little, whereas a sedentary person may find 10 minutes per day too hard to manage. Is there any way for you to find out?

It is likely that if the lady continues her routine, her improvement will be longstanding, and she will be much better able to fight against the post-menopause worsening of her scoliosis.

This person clearly has put a lot of work into making positive changes in her body, and I find Pooka's comment about "wishful thinking" quite insulting.
          Nothing in life is permanent, including life. But if this lady maintains her structure and function into her elderly years, with significantly less deterioration than others who did not take her course of action, isn't that to be applauded? And so what if she has to continue to exercise for the rest of her life? A sedentary lifestyle, what I call physical lazyness (when there is no physical reason that makes a person unable to be active), is a problem in our modern society.

B.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

It is not that exercise does not work - it is that folks will not exercise and most will do anything to avoid it altogether! The exception to the rule being few. I personally would be quite happy to sacrifice an hour a day to Schroth for wellbeing ... but i would try to get away with every other day ;-)

ok - what IF someone cannot exercise (for whatever reason) what will happen? Well heck fire they will go to waste! And this is true for both those who have had surgery as well as for those who have not.

I imagine Elise was speechless at the prospect of not exercising - for her it is a way of life! Martha, more driven than most - maintains her correction with one (1) hour per day (per her memoir). There are many more out there - we just don't know them personally.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
            ok - what IF someone cannot exercise (for whatever reason) what will happen? Well heck fire they will go to waste! And this is true for both those who have had surgery as well as for those who have not.
            I'm buzzing you on that.

Exercise is clearly NOT required to maintain surgical correction. Where did you get that?

My daughter does not exercise and has maintained her correction for sure for 8 months and almost certainly to date (that is, 16 months and counting). It was 5* a few days after the surgery and 5* 8 months later. Your explanation is....?

Nor is it a particularly good idea for potential Marfan people to exercise. To the extent that some measurable percentage of scoli patients have Marfans, blanket admonitions that they should exercise are not only unwarranted but dangerous, whether they have been fused or not.

Remember, quality information always. No second rate, incorrect stuff like that which has been regularly wowing you.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              I'm buzzing you on that.

Exercise is clearly NOT required to maintain surgical correction. Where did you get that?

My daughter does not exercise and has maintained her correction for sure for 8 months and almost certainly to date (that is, 16 months and counting). Your explanation is....?

Nor is it a particularly good idea for potential Marfan people to exercise. To the extent that some measurable percentage of scoli patients have Marfans, blanket admonitions that they should exercise are not only unwarranted but dangerous, whether they have been fused or not.

Remember, quality information always. No second rate, incorrect stuff like that which has been regularly wowing you.
              ok I don't mind being buzzed. I was talking about us more well seasoned adults. But actually - say someone, anyone is incapacitated for long period of time - muscles atrophy. Are you saying that those with spinal fusion will be immune to the effects of that?

Comment

ok I don't mind being buzzed. I was talking about us more well seasoned adults. But actually - say someone, anyone is incapacitated for long period of time - muscles atrophy. Are you saying that those with spinal fusion will be immune to the effects of that?
                Yes.

The spine is either fused or it isn't.

The correction is not reliant on muscle... it's a block.

Where do you get these ideas?

ETA: Do you understand what happens in a fusion? I am wondering now. Your question implies you do not.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Wow .. I had no idea that people with fused spines were completely immune to the effects of muscle atrophy due to long term incapacitation. Is there a reference for that or is it just such common knowledge that everyone knows this but me?

Comment

Moreover, I would bet my house we could find any number of fused folks who don't exercise and whose fusion is stable long term.

Did you hear about exercise required to maintain surgical correction on Fix's site?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Wow .. I had no idea that people with fused spines were completely immune to the effects of muscle atrophy due to long term incapacitation. Is there a reference for that or is it just such common knowledge that everyone knows this but me?
                      Are you serious?

Do you understand what a fusion is?

Is my daughter's stability absent a lick of meaningful exercise a fluke? What is your explanation for that?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Stop reading Fix's site and start reading quality information on surgery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Touche'

No I did not hear about exercise being good for everyone (fused or not) from Fix's site.

Actually thought it was common knowledge and am blown away to hear you state that fused spines are immune to muscle atrophy.

Is there a reference for that?

Comment

Touche'

No I did not hear about exercise being good for everyone (fused or not) from Fix's site.

Actually thought it was common knowledge and am blown away to hear you state that fused spines are immune to muscle atrophy.

Is there a reference for that?
                            I didn't say that. You said that in your confusion.

I said muscle atropy doesn't affect surgical correction because it is permament (assuming a solid fusion) AND NOT DEPENDENT ON MUSCLE TONE whereas muscle atropy DOES affect any exercise-induced correction because it isn't permament.

Do you see that critical distinction? We can't get anywhere until you do.

How does my daughter maintain her 5* for several months absent a lick of exercise in your opinion? Magic?

Now map that onto exercise where I'm guessing the correction would be lost in weeks or a few months I'm guessing.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 07-19-2009, 03:38 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm going to suggest you read up on what fusion is.

This section of the thread is actually beyond absurd but you don't know why.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Do people who break their arm bone and have it set successfully have to do exercises to maintain the set?

Same answer for spinal fusion.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X