Good news update about bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news update about bracing

To all those who are wearing their braces for the recommended time, good for you! It's not easy, but it's necessary right now.

I just wanted to let anyone out there know who's struggling with wearing their brace (or parents who are struggling to get their daughter/son to wear it) that it is worth EVERY SECOND OF THE STRUGGLE! A year ago my daughter (now 13) started wearing her brace (curves were 25/22) and now a year later she just measured at 13/18 and was fitted for her second brace. We cannot believe it's been a whole year (it was a long year, too)...but, you do get used to living with and in the brace. (thankfully she needs to wear it only 18 hours/day) This past summer she went to Florida, day camp, and Maine and still got in her brace time (ok, we fudged an hour or two during the day camp but maintained a min. of 15-16 hrs.)

To the parents out there struggling with getting their child to wear the brace...do not give up and give in, be understanding and compassionate but be firm. Deep down they are trusting you to do what is best for them.

To the kids struggling to wear it and going head to head with their parents...remember, your parents love you and want you to be healthy and safe. Trust them.

To both...take it one day at a time, one check up at a time. Be safe, be healthy!

excellent, very well put attie. I hope anyone that is struggling with bracing, (parents or teens) will read this and feel better. It doesn't matter what some of the few kids at school will say to "that girl in the brace..." After school is over you'll barely talk to any of them anyways. What matters is yourself and many of you have to realize the importance of this over what other people think. *news fresh in* Bracing is NOT bad. im done with my rant, good luck to all, Derek

Comment

I too would like to encourage others with their brace wearing. My daughter is 12 1/2 and has worn her brace now for 1 year. She has been totally compliant wearing it between 17-18 hours every day. She made the decision to wear it to school so that she could have free time after school to swim and ride horses. She rides between 1 to 2 times a week. I know deep down she would love to be out of it completely but she wears it so that hopefully she will avoid needing surgery. Her curves are 35/34 and have not progressed even though she has grown 2 inches this year. When we first started coming to these boards last year I saw fairly little about successful bracing. Please share your positive stories!
      Kim
      Kim

Comment

Thanks for the encourgement. I need that alot. My son is only three and it seems like a life time before he will be out of it.... I feel so bad for him. It is tough to be firm on wearing it but I know it is for his own good.
        Thanks again.
        Michele mom to 3yr Nathan

Comment

Working...
        X