ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

If Ti Ed can be a body builder then I'm a fine arts professor.

Go ahead... ask me anything about fine art.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm currently working as a freelance writer and studying law
          Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
          46° curve
          Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

I am a graduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying higher education. I will graduate in August and my surgery is scheduled for September.
            --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
            Fused T10 - L3

Comment

Interesting thread.
              I am a “concerned dad”. I didn’t have any special schooling for the job and, as is often the case, it turned out to be completely different from what I had envisioned. I liked the job so much that after two years I decided to double my workload. Having held this position for almost 15 years I can say that I would follow the same career path in a heartbeat and would recommend it to anyone (mature enough to handle the obligation). Compensation, while not in cash, is extraordinary. Watching a child grow into a young adult, molded by your influence and guided by the morals you impart, is priceless. I am also lucky to have a partner in this job; Mrs CD. Who, if the truth be told, is deserving of all the credit for our successful endeavor.

As for my “other” full time job? I am fortunate enough to say I find it almost as equally rewarding. I am a geophysicist (I checked the wrong box on a form once). I linked to it there because most folks are not too familiar with the field (my mom used to think I looked for arrowheads or fossils). The *ist part of the job title not only makes it difficult to pronounce, but makes it sound a bit glamorous. I can assure you though that, if I happen to be working near a road, it is not uncommon for a mother to pull her car over and point me out to her children saying “see that fellow over there? That’s what’s going to happen to you if you don’t go to school and study hard”.

An interesting sentence from the “job description” at that link is:

Those who succeed in geophysics seem to have the ability to be flexible and the willingness to challenge previously held assumptions if their data proves those assumptions untrue.

I suppose that may sum up my participation in this forum. I know I’ve flip-flopped all over the place trying to understand the issues surrounding scoliosis treatment. And, I want to thank you all for helping me in my journey to find the answers that are right for my daughter.

Comment

I had been a floral designer and artist (painting murals and such). Now I do it for my own enjoyment at my own pace (very slow
                2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                (left open with just clear dressing)
                6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I’m a paralegal in the law department of a Fortune 500 company; and I have the best boss in the world.

Comment

I am a Home equity Underwriting Supervisor. Sounds excieting, doesnt it?
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Thank you so much for all your responses. It is really amazing to see so many different professions. So many cool jobs you all have! It seems that you all have not let the spinal issues determine your careers and that gives me the much needed confidence to stay on my career path as a registered nurse student. I also currently work as an acquired brain injury support worker. I have also done half a sociology degree and studied alot in physics and psychology.

You all have a wonderful weekend
                      45L/40T
                      Surgery 25/1/2010
                      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

This is a great thread. Fun to read.

My title is "senior marketing associate" at a pharmaceutical but that doesn't explain what I do. Right now I answer inquiry and complaint calls from customer (consumers or health care professionals). My specialty is diabetes and osteoporisis.

Sheri
                        At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                        Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                        Excellent correction

Comment

Thanks for the PM compliments everyone. That bodybuilder pic was pretty funny. I might have reached the pinnacle of comedy with that one..... or a least triggered a few hernias.

Jimbo
                          The main thing with occupations or careers is that you enjoy what it is that you are doing. It doesn't matter what you do, just have a blast doing it. I have always installed this philosophy with my associates and coworkers.

Obviously there are occupations that will not be a proper fit with scoliotics. Weightlifting would be one of them.
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I'm a retired Psychiatric R.N.

Comment

Ed, that pic was not "pretty funny", it was a hoot. I (nearly) PMSL actually.

Wow, we have some very interesting careers here! Sadly, I have not had an interesting career, having been, in my youth, a secretary/PA then, needing to get out of the office, hit the road for 13 years as a Company rep. I've also doubled up on jobs when I wanted to save for something e.g. a house, car or travel and have done my share of waitressing and other easily come by part time work. Was a single Mum for many years and I consider that my most interesting job thus far.

Currently I am having a year off to worry about nothing more than getting well. After that, I hope to defy the employment downturn and get at least part time work doing anything my back enables me.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I am a Registered Nurse Liaison working for a home health company. I see patients before they discharge from the hospital or nursing home and coordinate the discharge to home health care. It requires a lot of walking which has been a real challenge for me both before and after surgery. But I LOVE my job. To see others in health crises a lot worse off than me helps me to put my own problems in perspective. Nursing is a great career and I encourage anyone to pursue it if they want to.
                                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
                                X