How Do You Feel After Rod Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Feel After Rod Removal?

I am considering having my rods removed after one year. I feel them every minute of every day. Very uncomfortable and even when I sleep on my back it feels like I am sleeping on a big stick! I guess I really am! My surgeon said it is okay now to consider it since my fusion is healed. But I wonder from anyone who has had it done, do you really feel better without the rods in? Does it make your back feel less stiff? I have trouble straightening up and walking upright and don't know if the rods and screws have anything to do with it. My surgeon doesn't know what is causing it either. Would like to hear from anyone who has had their rods removed, and if it made a difference in how your back felt .
    Kristy
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Kristy,

Have you gotten a second opinion? I would not resort to having rods removed without first getting another opinion. After reading your posts and the problems you have been experiencing, I wonder if you were over-corrected.

Comment

I agree with Chris. I would get another opnion or 2, just like many of us did before we got our inital surgeries to have the fusion. I guess I just assumed the feeling stiff was attributed to the lack of muscle use over most of the back, coupled w/the muscles still not quite understanding what all of the hearware is doing in there? Are you in any kind of physical therapy or excersice program? I just started mine about a week ago(Im about 5 months post op) and I honestly notice a difference..as far as the stiffness goes. I am also sleeping more comfortably. Just wondering.....
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
        But I wonder from anyone who has had it done, do you really feel better without the rods in? Does it make your back feel less stiff?
        I have no idea what I'm talking about but I don't see how removing the rods can help lessen the stiffness if you have a solid fusion at every level. If your fusion is solid it shouldn't make a bit of difference, yes?

What am I missing?

Good luck.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I had a rod removed.

Naptown. I just have a couple of comments about what you are feeling.

I am considering having my rods removed after one year. I feel them every minute of every day. Very uncomfortable and even when I sleep on my back it feels like I am sleeping on a big stick! I guess I really am! My surgeon said it is okay now to consider it since my fusion is healed. But I wonder from anyone who has had it done, do you really feel better without the rods in?
          After reading some of your posts, I don't think that having your rods taken out will help. Do you want to risk another surgery when the rods aren't really the cause of your pain? If your fusion is not solid--which can't be seen definitely with imaging--you may have further complications.

Does it make your back feel less stiff?
          Nope. Fused is fused. . .

I have trouble straightening up and walking upright and don't know if the rods and screws have anything to do with it. My surgeon doesn't know what is causing it either. Would like to hear from anyone who has had their rods removed, and if it made a difference in how your back felt.
          If your surgeon doesn't know, then you need to ask a different surgeon. Having my rod removed was great for me, but it was obvious that the rod was broken away from the bone and was causing serious pain. If you read other threads, you will find that others have had bad outcomes and required subsequent hardware installations.

CHRIS WBS and LynnMarie74 got it right. It could be muscular pain related to the change of position of your spine, or it could be something more serious.

I hope you can find someone who can help.

p

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone! I am definitely getting a second opinion before I do anything. I don't want to have needless surgery esp if that is not the cause of the problem. I have had PT and it did help with flexibility and ability to increase my endurance in the months after my surgery. I recommend to everyone.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Kristy,
              I'm really happy I happened across this thread. Our situations sound very similar except you are fused considerably higher than I am. My surgery was June 9, 2008 and I'm still having significant pain and still on quite a lot of narcotic pain meds. I've wondered if the hardware could be the source of my pain or if it is something worse. I go back to see my surgeon July 23 and I really hope I get some answers then.

I've also done PT and found it helped with flexibility some and muscle strength but didn't have a lot of luck with the pain issues. I'm trying to get back into my therapists schedule and give it another try. I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

I have the same problem with standing straight. I lean forward all the time. I can force the issue and make myself stand straight but, WOW, talk about difficult and uncomfortable! Also, my right shoulder is still quite a bit higher than my left. My best friend, who I happen to work with, is now trained to watch my shoulders and remind me to lower it hoping it will become permanent. Who knows.

I will continue to watch this thread and I'm very interested to see any input others have. Kristy, you are welcome to email me and we can compare notes if you would like to. Take care.
              Becky, 46 years old
              Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
              Ignored until 448/07
              Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
              Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
              Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
              Fused T-10 to L-5
              14 titanium pedicle screws
              Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
              Email

Comment

Hi,

I was fused from approx T10 to L4/L5 at 15 in July of 81 I had a Harrington rod after i was allowed up from the Stryker bed i felt really tall and straight but gradually as each day passed i felt smaller and smaller when i got home from the hospital i was bent right over like an old woman i couldn't straighten up at all , i remember i had to hold onto/lean on family members to get around. I returned to the hospital a week later only to be told by the Registrar to straighten up. After a few weeks i managed to straighten up a little and return to school, but the school nurse noticed i didnt look right. I had the rod removed and replaced in nov 81 the hook at the top of the rod had moved out of place and the rod was bent. I had no pain from it. I went on to have the replacement rod removed in feb 82, the hook at the bottom moved out of place, i did have a lot of pain from it. At that time i was told that my back was fused. I had a bout of disc trouble a few months after i had the replacement rod removed followed by facet joint trouble. I now have spondylolisthisis, stenosis and a break in the fusion. I will have to have the fusion extended to the sacrum.

Comment

Hi Becky,
                  I read your post on another thread a couple of days ago. I think it was about pain. I feel for you and hope you can find an answer. You should not be in such pain after this much time. My biggest issue is the not being able to stand up straight. It just completely wears me out to keep my body in an upright position and I feel like I look like an old lady. If you are having the same issue, that could account for alot of your pain.

MOB,
                  After you had your original rod removed, were you able to straighten up then? Was that the cause of your bending forward?

Best wishes to both of you
                  Kristy

Comment

Hi...

I think that when the pain problem is coming from the implants, it's usually pretty obvious to the patient that it's the implant and not something else. I've never felt like I "was sleeping on a big stick," so it sounds like the implants could be too prominent, and thus could be the source of pain.

I suspect the problem with not being able to stand up straight is a separate problem that should be addressed.

Good luck.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

[QUOTE=naptown78;79147]Hi Becky,
                      My biggest issue is the not being able to stand up straight. It just completely wears me out to keep my body in an upright position and I feel like I look like an old lady. If you are having the same issue, that could account for alot of your pain.

Kristy,
                      I hear ya sista on feeling like an old lady! I caught my reflection in a window yesterday and wanted to cry! Before surgery my posture was great. It was always a struggle to keep it good but I managed. Now, it really is exhausting and painful to try to stand straight. I told my husband last night that I really don't like looking like my grandmother. Hopefully I'll get some answers when I see my surgeon.
                      Becky, 46 years old
                      Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
                      Ignored until 448/07
                      Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
                      Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
                      Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
                      Fused T-10 to L-5
                      14 titanium pedicle screws
                      Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
                      Email

Comment

Partial removal of rods

My surgeon removed about 4" of both rods and repaired the fracture at T3 in Mar 08. I now stand up straighter than before. I was leaning forward quite a bit but thought it was due to muscles getting tired towards the end of the day. Also leaned forward when I was trying to "hurry." So that part seems to be corrected, but now my neck pain is back. Hopefully, this is what I call "healing pain," meaning it should go away when I am completely healed. If it doesn't go away or worsens, I see my doc in Sept, and will take it up with him then.
                        Lesley, Biker Babe
                        Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                        Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                        T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                        Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                        Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                        Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                        Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                        Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                        Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
                        X