Supplements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplements?

I'm curious what, if any supplements you use for bone health?

My daughters orthopedic believes that Calcium Citrate (the only calcium he recommends) combined with vitamin D3 is critical.

Anything else, in your opinions?

bone health

SLS
    Melatonin plays an important role in bone formation

In my humble opinion the #1 supplement you can give your daughter costs nothing. Simply black out her room and when she sleeps her natural melatonin production will increase.

You can read more about that here.
    Recent Study on Melatonin and Scoliosis

At night my son's room is as dark as a cave. We gave him a taplight in case he needs to get up.
    Last edited by Dingo; 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Lots of vitamin D and C. And I agree with getting lots of good rest, also very important.
      ~ Karen ~

2 Curvatures - 58 degrees before surgery
      1983 - Luque Rod
      1989 - Removal of Luque Rod
      Current Diagnosis:
      * rotoscoliotic deformation
      * endplate sclerosis and osteophytes
      * bilateral formanial narrowing
      * severe hypertrophic osteoarthritis at L3/4
      * osteoarthritis change in the S1 joint

Comment

My daughter is actually a very good sleeper and does sleep in the pitch black. She can't even have an alarm clock in her room, as she naturally likes it as dark as can be.

That is very interesting information about the melatonin. I had no idea! Thanks

Comment

SLS, just curious, what dosage of calcium citrate and D does he recommend for her? (actually I wasnt aware that there were different types of vitamin D such as vitamin D"3" ) thanks
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by jillw View Post
            SLS, just curious, what dosage of calcium citrate and D does he recommend for her? (actually I wasnt aware that there were different types of vitamin D such as vitamin D"3" ) thanks
            I never knew there was a difference either!

He recommends 1200 mg of Calcium Citrate and 800 iu's of D3. I purchase the Kirkland Brand at Costco which is a combination of both. I get 300 tablets for just over $10.00.

Comment

Working...
            X