activities suggested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• activities suggested

I recently found out I have both Scoliosis and Arthritis. I am 59 years old. I clean house for a living. Can anyone tell me what types of activiites are helpful or negative for these conditions. I am torn here thinking that housekeeping keeps me very physically active. Yet on the other hand am I too active? I also do the laundry at my job.

Does anyone use an excersize ball? What types of excersize are you finding helpful? I am so new to all of this.

Welcome !
    I like modified yoga and exercises I learned in physical therapy. Ask your doctor who diagnosed you and he probably has lists of differant resources. If not call ahead to your local hospital and ask.
    Also, maybe help with general house cleaning, say once a week or so, if your budget allows .. might be a good idea. Who knows? could give you time for evening walks. ( I live in the desert so we dont go out much during the day)
    Though I am sorry we met here, it is very nice to meet you
    *huggs*
    dani

Comment

My Dr just said to walk, bike and do stretching excersize. I felt he was not very helpful.

thanks for you input.

Comment

Originally posted by mar View Post
        I recently found out I have both Scoliosis and Arthritis. I am 59 years old. I clean house for a living. Can anyone tell me what types of activiites are helpful or negative for these conditions. I am torn here thinking that housekeeping keeps me very physically active. Yet on the other hand am I too active? I also do the laundry at my job.

Does anyone use an excersize ball? What types of excersize are you finding helpful? I am so new to all of this.
        Hi, Mar.

I'm just guessing here that maybe while your daily activity level is high, it may not be full of the best activities for your scoliosis or your joints. And what may be good for one may not be for the other ...

Can you get your doctor to write a prescription for PT? Perhaps a therapist could evaluate your activities and, more importantly, the mechanics of how you *perform* those activities (i.e., are you bending all day vs. doing what you can on task level?), and suggest improved techniques.

Regarding balance balls: Personally, I love mine. I have some exercises that I find really beneficial for me, but a PT could also devise a routine for you if they feel the ball is right for your situation (almost everyone can benefit from one - and routines can vary from exercising on one to simply sitting on it).

You didn't mention ... are you in pain? If so, do you feel it's caused more from the scoliosis or the arthritis? How severe is your curve? Is the arthritis localized or distributed more generally?

Regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I was not told what the degree of the curve is but it curves one way in my lower back and the other in my neck. He said that the arthritis goes the entire length of my spine.

I think the pain comes from the scoliosis, but how can you tell. It comes and goes in what I would call spasms. Sometimes lasting a very short time and sometimes all day.

Comment

Working...
          X