Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clothes w/brace...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy clothes w/brace...

i have had my brace for 2 weeks now and i cant seem to find good clothes that don't show it. i REALLY need some advice. thank you!!!

hey. there have been a lot of discussions about this.
    i know it's frustrating, but it's ok. we all go through fashion troubles.
    my advice is always wear a blank white cami OVER your brace.
    that will keep it looking smooth from the outside and straps won't show
    through as much. Um, baby-doll tops work really well, hoodies, layers.
    Wear like a cute t-shirt or something then a short sleeved sweater, or
    cropped jacket.
    i was in the store forever 21 and i saw a lot of stuff that would work well
    with my brace (only i didn't have much money on me lol). Just shop around,
    and good luck! (:

Stephanie. Fifteen.
    Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
    2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
    1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
    Curves are reversing in my brace!
    Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
    and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
    2 Halves.
    1 body.
    A curve.
    So what?
    Mistakes.
    They lie.
    Within.
    My spine.
    I.
    Do not.
    Match up.
    Inside.
    And outside.
    I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

My friend told me to go to JCPenney's and go to the PLUS sizes and try on clothes there. The best articles of clothing or baby-doll tops and stretchy-ish pants.

Love,

Michele

Smile

When my daughter was in the Boston Brace she wore a lot of baby doll tops a size larger than normal and gaucho pants or skirts with elastic waist bands.

Now that she is in the Spinecor brace, she wears jeans and polo shirts.

My daughter is a big fan of skinny jeans. Her brace pushes her jeans down and since we got her brace all she is wearing are pajamas. How do you all wear your jeans? Over or under the brace?
    Shannon
    Mom to Lanaya-age 12, Isaiah-age 6 and Ava-age4

Lanaya-
    Chiari I (decompressed 2001 and 2005)
    Syrinx (shunt placement 2005)
    Scoliosis T-28, L-36
    Boston Brace 6/9/09

I wore a Milwaukee brace when I was 13 and big T-shirts (thankfully!) were in, as they still are (?), and is what I wore a lot of with my brace. It didn't stick to it and was just more comfortable. Then, when I had to dress up, I wore lots of jackets (blazer jackets)....
    hope this helps. I know you are uncomfortable, but it really is a must to do the brace thing!

I ordered maternity bands so my daughter can weear her jeans. I didnt get it yet... I'm hoping it will fit snug enough to work. It will look like a tank top under her clothing ..layers are in style......I ordered one black and one whit with lace trim.....its a very stretchy material......If your interested I can let you know if it works......

Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    My daughter is a big fan of skinny jeans. Her brace pushes her jeans down and since we got her brace all she is wearing are pajamas. How do you all wear your jeans? Over or under the brace?

Great Season For Brace Clothes!

My daughter is wearing the boston brace. I have to tell you we have had great luck finding clothes that cover the brace and actually look great!! We were in JCPenney the other day and went to the junior department -- the styles for this fall are very a-line. we got lots of things that were great. We also went to nordstrom and they have a ton of t-shirts in the junior department (they call it brass plum dept) that were fantastic.

Here are some good ones -- we actually bought some of these...
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3041893/...bo=6002038&P=3
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3039290/...bo=6002038&P=3
    these are great, we bought several colors:
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2990394/...bo=6002038&P=4
    this is her favorite and it's on sale now for only $13.90!
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3035258/...bo=6002038&P=7
    vests that are big this season like this one (only $14.99):
    http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...Id=50455|50458

So you see, with a little creativity, you CAN make the best of this. I hope this helps!

Those are really cute clothes! I also saw lots of tops like these on the college campus this weekend....very attractive!

Some Pics of My Daughter Stylin' In Her Brace

Attached are some pics of my daughter in her Boston brace. You can hardly tell she is wearing it! The styles for this fall are fantastic for brace wearers!

Red face

Has anyone worn their brace over their bottoms and under their tops? My daughter natalie who is 11 has been wearing her regular low rise jeans with a tank tucked in and then her brace over that and then another tank and whatever top she's wearing that day over her brace. So far as long as the jeans dont have buttons on the back pocket, she said it's fine. She hasnt worn her brace to school yet but i think this week sometime we will start. Also to sleep in...she has this silk nightgown with kittens all over it that she wears under her brace and that works well.

When my daughter was wearing the Boston Brace, she sometimes wore it over her jeans, with a long shirt.

If you are in the Boston, it is similar to what my daughter does with her Cheneau - I make her a bodysuit that goes under the brace (with a crotch flap opening to use the bathroom). It's winter, so I make it with long legs. Then she loves to wear cute stretch knit dresses over her brace. So, from the outside, it looks like she's wearing a black T-shirt, leggings, and a cute dress. The brace is barely noticeable. She doesn't have to worry about layers under the brace or over and taking it on and off or anything like that. I'm always amazed at some of the complex wardrobes of the girls who wear braces, but this is just what worked for us.
    Tina

• Mom of Cynthia, age 8, 67 degree curve, former Spinecor Patient and current Cheneau Brace wearer
    • Mom of Vaughn, age 5, 18 degree curve - not yet braced, but closely monitored
    • Wife of Andy, adult with 26 degree curve, diagnosed as a teenager, no bracing or surgery

www.scoliosisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com
    www.EmBracedInComfort.com

It's All Good

Hey! don't worry I've had my brace since last year and it gets easy. your brace will take a wear on Clothes but usually it's easy to wear t-shirts and comfy pants. but i do have jeans that fight over. i do have a lot of holes in my shirts from the velcro.

My daughter used to wear the brace to school. she'd wear hoodies or big dark tops and sports pants. When it was warm, she'd wear skirts with a light hood zip jacket to help cover the bulk of the straps.

She no longer wears it during the day to school but only at night and likes to wear it at home on the weekends. She has been wearing it now for 3 years.

I also had a dancers body suit made into a type of onsie where there are snaps at the crotch. This helps with using the bathroom. The SpineCor ones did not work well for her. I also had some bottoms made that also go under the bottom part so it would not bother her legs. We had an opening put in that too.

So, elastic loose fitting clothes work the best.