No announcement yet.

Disappointing doctor visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not know why the curves move. In many cases, once the decompression is done. The curve stabilizes or improves, especially when the syrinx recedes. However, when the curves do progress, they do so rapidly. The studies that have been conducted tend to focus on the immediate future following the decompression- about 5 years out. The few longer term studies that I have found suggest that while initial curve stabilization or improvement is the norm, further out can be a very different story.

Larger curves in older children (above 10) do not have the same initial outcomes as smaller curves in younger children. It would appear that the adolescent growth spurt does impact these curves.

Noone really knows what the connection is between chiari/syrinx/scoliosis. The thought is that the syrinx causes the scoliosis. The chiari causes the syrinx. Yet there is no rhyme or reason to the three conditions. Some people with very larger cerebral herniations (Chiari) have no syrinx or scoliosis. While others with small herniations have large syrinxes and may or may not have scoliosis. Also the size and location of the syrinx is not an indication whether a person will have scoli.
    Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
    28 degree scoliosis 9/04
    Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
    17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
    Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
    3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
    11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Hey thanks for that explanation! I was not grokking CM/SM/scoli at all.

It's sort of amazing how "black box" it still is. Hopefully they will put that puzzle together soon.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
      X