Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding a bike - positioning ??

Hi everyone,

I have a question about bike riding. I like to ride my bike for exercise and also to occasionally commute to work (~5 miles or so). I currently ride a road style bike where I have to lean forward somewhat.

Will I be able to ride this type of bike after surgery (in Sept.)? I have been thinking about buying a new bike but am wondering if I will need something where I ride in an upright manner. Fyi, my fusion will not be real long, it will go from T10 - L3. What should I expect about riding a bike post-fusion?

Thanks!

--Steph

1991 - Dx age 13 with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis
    1996 - Charleston Bending Brace until age 18, 34* thoracolumbar curve
    2004 - 42* thoracolumbar major curve, 30* compensatory curve
    2009 - 50* thoracolumbar major curve, 36* compensatory curve
    Surgery: Anterior spinal fusion from T10 - L3 set for 09-23-09
    --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
    Fused T10 - L3

Originally posted by sed78 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a question about bike riding. I like to ride my bike for exercise and also to occasionally commute to work (~5 miles or so). I currently ride a road style bike where I have to lean forward somewhat.

Will I be able to ride this type of bike after surgery (in Sept.)? I have been thinking about buying a new bike but am wondering if I will need something where I ride in an upright manner. Fyi, my fusion will not be real long, it will go from T10 - L3. What should I expect about riding a bike post-fusion?
    If you're occasionally using your bike to commute, an island cruiser is the way to go ... or you can have a fixed gear bike fit to your height ...

Leaning forward on a stock frame is NOT the way to go after fusion ...
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Steph

Pam's right. Leaning over with the 2 remaining vertebrae that you have left, and exercising under vibration and bumps is not going to preserve those valuable joints that you will need to preserve.

If you can wait, buy your bike after your surgery. Rent one first to make sure you like the ergonomics.

I'm looking for a new bike also, these will raise your heart rate that is so valuable to your health.
      I know what your going through. Its torture.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I tilt my saddle down a little more in the front than most do on my rode bike to help adjust for my lack of flexibility in my spine. It's tilted enough to where if I sit upright, I will almost slide forward (sometimes I do). I do ride with aero-bars though, which makes it much more comfortable, but probably not a good idea for commuting
        It's not the most comfortable thing to do, but I enjoy the sport, so am trying to strenghthen my core to help with this. The cruiser style bikes are more comfortable though, if that works for what you are looking to do. Maybe try something with suspension, if you are not looking for speed? I am very comfortable on my mountain bike.
        Ditto to what titaniumed said about waiting if you can.
        Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
        Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Have you looked into recumbent bikes???

Comment

Working...
          X