bending to pick things up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
    It jumped out at me that you use NSAIDS to reduce inflammation because my surgeon was most emphatic about not using them because they will negatively impact the fusion that we want to occur. A fusion needs the inflammation and doesn't do well if the inflammation is reduced. Does your doctor know you take NSAIDS? avis
    \
    My surgeon has left my medications to my family practitioner and/or pain management doc. My family practitioner, who has all info on my surgery, is the one prescribing me the NSAIDS. I was taking ibuprofen, but he now has me on Mobic. Since my last post, I have developed occasionally-severe pain and swelling in my knees and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. So much for those squats! I am very upset that nobody had mentioned that taking NSAIDS could impact my fusion! I am so glad that you brought this to my attention-I just hope that being four months postop, this has not negatively affected my healing and fusion. I am going to call my surgeon's office as soon as they are in and see if anyone has some info for me. The hospital had a presurgery class you had to attend and they emphasized repeatedly to smokers and nonsmokers alike the hazzards of smoking, but not once did anyone mention NSAID use! Now I'm worried. I drink my lactaid-free milk, take calcium, magnesium, cut down my iron (I've been anemic since I was a teen and had to be transfused after first surgery), but was it all for nothing?

Comment

Originally posted by andyluw View Post
      \
      My surgeon has left my medications to my family practitioner and/or pain management doc. My family practitioner, who has all info on my surgery, is the one prescribing me the NSAIDS. I was taking ibuprofen, but he now has me on Mobic. Since my last post, I have developed occasionally-severe pain and swelling in my knees and was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees. So much for those squats! I am very upset that nobody had mentioned that taking NSAIDS could impact my fusion! I am so glad that you brought this to my attention-I just hope that being four months postop, this has not negatively affected my healing and fusion. I am going to call my surgeon's office as soon as they are in and see if anyone has some info for me. The hospital had a presurgery class you had to attend and they emphasized repeatedly to smokers and nonsmokers alike the hazzards of smoking, but not once did anyone mention NSAID use! Now I'm worried. I drink my lactaid-free milk, take calcium, magnesium, cut down my iron (I've been anemic since I was a teen and had to be transfused after first surgery), but was it all for nothing?

My surgeon gave me permission to take ibuprophen occasionally (at my 5 month appt), but I'm not going to touch it for at least one year. The nurse practitioner told me that for short fusions, it's ok to take earlier, but I'm 13 levels and I should avoid for at least one year.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

still considering, getting serious

all this bending and lifting has me puzzled and confused...i am still debating surgery but finally figured out levels, because the epidural i just had covered more upper area but less lower area of my back than the actual surgery will. at least i think so....

the actual surgery will concentrate on my lower back, and leave the upper to botox shots....

have "right thoracic curve of 40 degrees"(probably no surgery) and "a left lumbar curve of 60 degrees" (surgery)
        surgery recommended "combined anterior and posterior fusion with the anterior interbody fusions done L4to the sacrum, and then followed by posterior instrumented fusion from T 11-S 1 with bilateral fixation..."

does this make sense to anyone?? i dont understand how far up my back the rods willstart, but know they will go ALL THE WAY DOWN my back...it is the DOWN part that scares me....

how i would be able to bend after that LOWER surgery puzzles me, but i am sure some of you guys are dealing with it...?

any advice deeply appreciated, as these epidurals are just a temporary fix....and i know it...

thanks to everyone

Comment

I am fused from T4 - pelvis and the way I bend now is from the hips, whereas once it would have been from the waist. Does this help explain it? Someone described it as like a tin soldier. A combination of bending at the hips and bending at the knees seems to cover most situations, though not all (yet) for me.

With rods like mine, it's impossible to bend at the waist. It's a bit like trying to get your elbow to bend backwards...it can't be done.

I guess we're all different but I can't say I've felt much of a loss in losing the ability to bend at the waist. The prospect of a healthier old age is more important to me.

Good luck!

Jen
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
            (I'm also currently working to do a backbend again - LOL. I'll keep you updated on that!)

Oh Pam.....you scare me, but that's so cool....good for you. Im scared to do some of my PT moves still....but I guess 5 months out -vs- 16 months out is a big difference. I just continue to feel like Im gunna snap a rod!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

anterior & posterior w/ fixation anyone?

dear jennifer
              congratulations on completing surgery and continuing to heal....i wish you the best..

i am seeking info from anyone w/both anterior & posterior fusion w/fixation, as that is what i will require..most of surgery involves lower lumbar...that is why it scares me, as it will be both front & back...
              is there anyone out there with this kind of an experience?

any response most appreciated!
              jess

Comment

Working...
              X