No announcement yet.

bending to pick things up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, its nice to see we are all kind of in the same boat. A rocky,unstable boat! lol I too question if Im "bending" too much or in the wrong place. My doc also didnt give me "specific do's and dont do's" He said do what feels comfortable and stop when it feels wrong. I know what he means...its like trying to bend your elbow the opposite way. It just wont go! I use a combo of squating & waist bending...and was cleared of all my restrictions as my 3 month post op visit. I was not given a spec. weight restriction either...like Debbe....but was told to start slow. I guess all we can do is trust our bodies and instincts...oh...and keep using our "inner monkey" for help! lol That was cute. I think we all have developed good toe muscles and tricks!
    My husband laughs at me sometimes when he sees me doing that....instead of asking if I need help, apparently he gets his kicks from watching! lol
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I have two methods of cleaning up cat vomit. First I pretend I don't see it and let my husband "discover" it and the second is using 2 grabbers and wads of paper towels and playing a sort of cat vomit hockey in moving the vomit from the floor to the paper towel, then folding it and getting it in the trash without the paper towel falling apart and dumping the vomit in a new place. Then you have to soak clean paper towels with water and using your longest and best grabber work at the carpet or the floor whichever they have vomited on. I have also been able to clean the cat litter with a similar paper towel and grabber technique. Someone mentioned hands and knees to clean the vomit which certainly works but it is so hard to get up from the floor.
      avis
      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
        I pretend I don't see it and let my husband "discover" it
        Avis,

That is my preferred method of disposing of dog puke!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
          I try not to 'overdo' bending, just now and then. And of course I still squat a lot, for instance to feed the dog. I always use my grabber for laundry, because I figure why should I wear out my disks picking up 5 people's clothes off the floor?? No way. I love that grabber.

Another funny thing I do is use my 'built-in' grabber. LOL--I'm constantly picking things up with my toes, and bringing my foot up to my hand to give me the item I pick up.
          LMAO, Debbe ... I used my toes a LOT too, and with a fusion ending at L1 (for me), it was easy to do. It's a little more difficult to do laundry with your toes post of - if you're so inclined (LOL) - and I used my Gopher grabber for that for months. I'm STILL finding uses for the replacement of my original, purchased before surgery!

These days - at almost 16 months post-op (where does the time go???) - I still also squat for things vs. hunching over: It results in a lot less tightness/discomfort than repetitive bending. When I garden (I have this huge container thing going in my back yard), I sit or squat close to the task - even when I'm watering.

That said, I was cleared of almost all restrictions at 3-4 months. The only thing I was barred from was playing softball, playing golf (although I was free to do the cages and range), and deep sea fishing. I was allowed to surf/wade fish at 3-4 months out. Something, I'm sure, related to fighting a huge fish - pulling up - from 80-100' down.

All docs are different, and all fusions are different. I was back on the ballfield *sliding* at 7 months post-op, but that doesn't mean it's the right thing for everyone.

Neither does it mean it's the WRONG thing for everyone .

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

my main problem with bending is my knees. I can't squat because it is too painful and even after the cortisteroid (spelling?) shots, which help somewhat, it is just not something I can do for more than a few seconds. I do a sort of wide leg bend which gets me closer to the ground and the wider apart my legs are, the closer I can get. Unfortunately, the inner monkey cannot be used for everything especially cooking. That is unless you can hold a pot holder in your feet and then you can at least take things out of the oven with the inner monkey.
            avis
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Avis,

My knees bother me also if I squat. Dr. Rand told me that I shouldn't squat as it is very hard on the knees. If you go down on one knee, it is much easier on the knees and it is also easier to get up. I had pretty much figured that out for myself soon after my surgery since I was not able to squat at all and if I mistakenly did squat , then I couldn't get up without help.

Take care, Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

[QUOTE=theizzard;77591]It jumped out at me that you use NSAIDS to reduce inflammation because my surgeon was most emphatic about not using them because they will negatively impact the fusion that we want to occur. A fusion needs the inflammation and doesn't do well if the inflammation is reduced. Does your doctor know you take NSAIDS....

I am curious about this because my Dr. hasme on celebrex which if I am correct is for inflamation. I will have to ask about this next week! It's seems as though there is always something to think about!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan

Never a dull moment. Go easy on the Celebrex......

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modern.../detail/597563

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,

Yes, I have been thinking about this all afternoon and wondering why my Doc has me on it. As I said, I go in next week, Tuesday to be exact. This is going to be my first question!

How are you feeling theses days? Are you Feeling better than you were a few weeks back? I feel like I have missed things since my surgery. Still trying to catch up!

Take care.
                    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Dear one and all...

I've been laughing aloud and just plain loving this discussion! Thanks to everyone who has contriubed. It's so nice to hear about the ways people have adjusted to life post-fusion !

I also have bad knees so I'll be among those doubly-challenged, but the several of you who share this issue have given me hope. I believe I too will succeed. Kitty vomit and dog poop be d....d !

Question: when did you return to routine housecleaning such as sweeping, mopping, vacuuming?

I'm thinking just now about my dishwasher. There's no way I can put dishes in it without bending. (my poor husband -- I can see it now -- Sorry, honey, but I just can't do the dishes any more )

Only 4 weeks more weeks until my own version of this fun begins.

Sheri
                      At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                      Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                      Excellent correction

Comment

Sheri, you might want to be careful about how you talk about loading the dishwasher. After all, you might end up at the sink washing dishes by hand, which requires no bending at all. I don't use my dishwasher anymore so I always do it by hand. Right after your surgery, believe me you won't be washing dishes by hand or in the dishwasher. and if I were you, I wouldn't be racing towards vacuuming, sweeping or mopping. Those things can all wait while your back is healing.
                        avis
                        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Susan
                          Positive or negative nsaid reports vary on who did them and at what time. All we know is that there have been lawsuits in the past due to people having clots and heart attacks. That is proof enough. Safe as milk. LOL

And in talking about milk, I actually drink the stuff! Low fat of course! Sounds dangerous doesn't it? Hope the milk promoters don't get mad at me.

Thanks for inquiring about my health. That's a topic that's been quite a challenge for me. The stones scare the hell out of me, for sure. The back is fine and dandy at the same time. I've been fine, and I've been dandy, but only after my surgery have I been fine and dandy at the same time. I really should send this status report to my surgeon, so he can have the full understanding needed for recovery. LOL

At 6 weeks out you should be approaching or seeing fine. You will have to wait for the dandy part as it takes a few months. Walking, proper diet with protein, getting off meds, proper sleep, all contribute to the healing process.

Sheri
                          I remember the dishwasher right after my surgery. I would get over it and with a slight lean and I would drop my dishes down and also my silverware. That worked well. For unloading, I would have to squat, then one by one, lift the dishes up on the countertop.

Forget about cleaning for a while after surgery. Just forget about it. Any arm sweeping motions with force, will be tests and will make you extremely tired and send you back to bed right away. This goes on for a few months. Yes, these duties will need to be transferred to the luckiest of lucky.

Avis
                          Its funny how we all want to see what we can get away with. I remember bending over every once in a while, and would think to myself, I'm not fused yet, better not push it. We all need to take it easy for quite a while after scoli surgery. Now at 16 months post, I do dumb things every once in a while like shovel 5000# of landscaping rock. I went from 5# to 5000#.

Pam
                          Banned from deep sea fishing, I'm not surprised. Down in Cabo, they have the 1000# club. These are the guys who have hooked the huge marlin weighing 1000# plus after the fight. They have weight loss calculations based on fight time. A fish of this caliber will lose approx 200# in 24 hours, and some of the 1500 pounders can fight for 40 hours and drag 50foot fishing boats backwards 50 miles through choppy seas.

I can attribute about 5 degrees of cobb progression to a 70# tuna that smoked me a few years ago. He smoked me, then I paid to smoke him.LOL I was using 40# test so it took 3 hours. I came to the conclusion that salt water fishing was too much work and diving is so much easier. I still have to wait to dive since I'm 30 days out from my gall bladder removal. In the dive books,its 90 days min after surgery.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            And in talking about milk, I actually drink the stuff! Low fat of course! Sounds dangerous doesn't it? Hope the milk promoters don't get mad at me.
                            Well as long as you only drink the rGBH free stuff. Giving cows steriods to produce more milk just doesn't sit well with me. Nor actually with most industrialised countries who have outlawed it in their milk...

I actually like Silk as a substitute.
                            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                            Still have 57 degree curve
                            2 Harrington rods
                            Luque method used
                            Dr David Bradford
                            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                            Preop xray (with brace on)
                            Postop xray

Comment

Sheri,
                              I started unloading the dishwasher by pulling a chair over to the dishwasher and putting the dishes on the counter. My husband had to put the dishes away but at least, I felt like I was contributing.
                              By the way, forget the sweeping, dusting and vacuuming for awhile. Your house won't mind a bit. Right now we have a lot of pollen in the air, so I won't bother to clean my house until the pollen is done. First the oak pollen, then the pine pollen. It lasts over 4 weeks so that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Take good care of yourself. Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                                Pam
                                Banned from deep sea fishing, I'm not surprised. Down in Cabo, they have the 1000# club. These are the guys who have hooked the huge marlin weighing 1000# plus after the fight. They have weight loss calculations based on fight time. A fish of this caliber will lose approx 200# in 24 hours, and some of the 1500 pounders can fight for 40 hours and drag 50foot fishing boats backwards 50 miles through choppy seas.

I can attribute about 5 degrees of cobb progression to a 70# tuna that smoked me a few years ago. He smoked me, then I paid to smoke him.LOL I was using 40# test so it took 3 hours. I came to the conclusion that salt water fishing was too much work and diving is so much easier. I still have to wait to dive since I'm 30 days out from my gall bladder removal. In the dive books,its 90 days min after surgery.
                                You better take care of your empty lil' gall bladder holder, Ed. If the dive books say 90 days, I'd trust them more ...

I'm no longer banned from deep sea fishing: That restriction was lifted at 7 months. Does it mean I could have given a diving Amberjack a run for his money at 7 months? Nah. I'd have handed the pole to someone in < 10 minutes. I'm in a LOT different shape than I was 8 months ago ... and I'd probably still hand it over if I hooked 1000 lbs. of marlin - LOL!

Do I think I'll EVER win a battle of wills teasing in a 1000 lb. marlin, even using heavy tackle? Negative. There just isn't that much of me, and I don't care *what* lb. test I'm using ...

I just LOVE saltwater fishing. Luckily, I'm just as happy in the shallows and flats, hooking a 40 lb. black drum off the rocks (they sink like a refrigerator), or wearing out a running bull red from the pier.

There's something about being offshore, though ... and I was SO glad it wasn't a permanent restriction. In fact, I don't HAVE any permanent restrictions. Sky diving will be my next big "neyh-neyh" to fusion surgery ;-).

(I'm also currently working to do a backbend again - LOL. I'll keep you updated on that!)
                                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X