Uneven hips after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debbie,

You mentioned the problem with your hip. During your postop period did you ever have you hips pop and grind? I ask because this is what mine have been doing. It only happens at night while I am in bed and roll over after sleeping in the same position for a while. I can't really say that it is painful but it feels extremely odd and I also feel it at my fusion area(I am fused from L5-T5). When it happens it certainly scares me because I am concerned that something could be wrong. I am hoping that it is just the hips and sacrum. I can't imagine the fusion being compromised since I haven't done anything to do so. It never happens when I am out of bed so I am hoping that's a good sign. I have my postop in 2 weeks so I guess time will tell!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Cimbom,

I am about 4 1/2 weeks out and I noticed in the past weeks that my right leg is shorter than the left. My husband noticed that I started walking a little funny and would say watch how your stepping! I first noticed it sitting on the toilet in our masterbath of all places lol. My leg doesn't quite reach the floor anymore like it did when I first came home. I am trying not to worry. I know a few others here on the site that had similar problems. It does take time though for all the muscles to settle back into their correct positions. It is frustrating though. Even though you can prepare yourself ahead of time and read about these matters here on the site you always think well that won't happen to me. I think we have all done it to some degree. I know I did. I though I would be feeling great at 4 weeks postop. Not that I would be up and physically doing alot, but I thought that I would feel better than I do. The past week I have been sick in bed. No energy what so ever, sick to my stomach, hard time breathing....it seems to be getting a little bit better. Today was better. My husband took the kids to hockey tonight and my in laws went out to dinner and it was the first time I was left alone but not in bed! It was so nice. Since my husband and I didn't walk today I picked up a few things around the kitchen and family room. I didn't over do it and it felt so nice not to have someone behind me saying no :O) I used my reacher/grabber that the hospital gave me and it was great. A small little milestone for me. Hang in there and I hope things get better with your hips...I think they will in time
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
        Debbie,

You mentioned the problem with your hip. During your postop period did you ever have you hips pop and grind? I ask because this is what mine have been doing. It only happens at night while I am in bed and roll over after sleeping in the same position for a while. I can't really say that it is painful but it feels extremely odd and I also feel it at my fusion area(I am fused from L5-T5). When it happens it certainly scares me because I am concerned that something could be wrong. I am hoping that it is just the hips and sacrum. I can't imagine the fusion being compromised since I haven't done anything to do so. It never happens when I am out of bed so I am hoping that's a good sign. I have my postop in 2 weeks so I guess time will tell!
        Actually, my hips used to pop once in a while before surgery, but afterwards, the left one just WOULDN'T pop and felt like it NEEDED to. It's hard not to worry that something is wrong, but try to stay positive. (note--I'm the pot calling the kettle black here).

Let us know what the Dr. says about it at your appointment.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Janet, I agree, it's still early days for you. A search of this forum will show that some patients are on pain meds for well over 6 months. If you need them, you should not be pestered to reduce them.

My dizziness isn't getting worse, it's actually improving. It's still there, but very s l o w l y reducing. I keep thinking I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be gone, but so far that hasn't happened, but it's much, much better than a few weeks ago. I am hopeful that it will eventually be completely gone.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well it seems as though it's slightly improving but the strange thing is my right side still looks almost straight once I have clothes on. My surgeon said it'll improve a bit more. I really hope I can have semi-even hips. Doesn't have to be 100% even, but 70-80% would be nice
            Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
            46° curve
            Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Working...
            X