No announcement yet.

Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daugher's surgeon said no swimming for 6 months. I wasn't sure if that was because of the risk of infection or because of the movement.

Comment

I did pool therapy at 3 months post op. But before that , I got in the lake because we have a boat. The water felt much colder to me and I couldn't stay in long for some reason. I couldn't hold myself up as usual. My balance was off. It was hard to even tread water. Not sure if it was weakness or what. This summer though at one year post op, I feel more normal in the water, and more "floaty".
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Thanks to all. Sounds like I will be able to swim, although maybe with limitations at first. I don't swim competitively - just for fun and exercise. I didn't even think about the fact that the weight of the instrumentation might be a factor. Good grief this is going to be weird! I know a lot of you have done this already but since surgery is this Monday I am beginning to freak out.

Thanks to Rachael in Austin for letting me know you swim also. Who did your surgery? And what was your recovery like (time wise)?

Paula

Thorasic: 48° :-(
        Lumbar: 63°
        Dr. Von Reuden Austin, Texas
        Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
        Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
        Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
        Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Hi Paula...hope your surgery has gone well.
          I had my surgery a long time ago in Dallas at Scottish Rite Children's. The first month or so after surgery was very limiting. I had surgery in July and started high school with really no troubles that September (other than I didn't have to carry any books due to weight restrictions on lifting set by the doctor). Oh yeah, I even took driver's ed that August. I was pretty much doing what I wanted after that x-mas except heavy lifting. (I wasn't involved in any kind of contact sports or anything like that at that point). Within a year I was fully released becaue the fusion had set, so I could do anything. At that point I started skiing and things like that without any concern.
          So to answer you question, I'd say recovery is gradual, slower at first, but after the initial recovery, is about protecting the fusion and learning what things you will have to modify.
          Take care!
          Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
          Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
          X