Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomach distension

Hi,
    I had a revision surgery done on May 11. My stomach has been very distended. We finally cured the problem of constipation (had to go to the ER) today. My stomach is still bloated. I look like I am 7 or 8 months pregnant. Anyone experience this and how do you get rid of it?

Hi...

It's relatively common. If you do a search here on SWOLLEN, you'll see quite a few people who had the same problem.

Congratulations on getting the surgery over with.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks

Hi Linda,
      Monday will be two weeks since the surgery. I took care of the constipation and still have the 8 month pregnant belly. I looked up swollen. Thanks
      Anyone have the swollen stomach like this? Was there something to do about it?

Comment

Here's just a few... There are plenty more

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1106
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8521
        Last edited by LindaRacine; 05-24-2009, 12:03 AM.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just typed in "swollen"?

Hi,
          The first link was about the belly. The second was about a hospital bed. I typed in swollen but I don't get much. Thanks for your help. I really need it.
          Marla

Comment

Hi...

OK, how about doing a search on SWOLLEN BELLY and/or SWOLLEN TUMMY. When you do that, you'll need to look through the threads that come up, but the search terms will be highlighted in a red font, so they should be easy to spot.

--Linda

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you Linda.

Comment

I too looked like I was 8 months pregnant after my A/P revisision. I was mortified!!! It has been a year now and it has gone down a lot but I have lost weight (wasn't heavy in the first place) and I attribute the belly to swelling due to surgery and the fact that I finally have a lordotic curve which I didn't have before. I had flatback. So I finally get the buns that I was missing but get a stomach to go with it! It will go away. It just takes time and you will really need to watch your caloric intake. Krysi

Comment

Had surgery 4 weeks ago today. My tummy is finally working itself down but I continue to be on stool softeners (double dose) and that has helped a lot! I know you went to the hospital to take care of that but I've been on Miralax and Senokot for 3 weeks now - maybe your insides still need some help???

Always Smilin'
                  Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                  pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                  pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                  right thoracic 57
                  lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                  revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                  unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Originally posted by higostudy View Post
                    Hi,
                    I had a revision surgery done on May 11. My stomach has been very distended. We finally cured the problem of constipation (had to go to the ER) today. My stomach is still bloated. I look like I am 7 or 8 months pregnant. Anyone experience this and how do you get rid of it?
                    Hi...Oh, I think most of us know how you are/were feeling. I was bloated and looked pregnant until about 8 weeks. That was the point when I could fit back into most of my clothes w/o looking like a stuffed sausage!! Time is the cure...oh and eating fiber filled foods along w/taking your daily stool softener. You will deflate...lol....trust me.....you are only 2 weeks post. I had to be reminded of this word all the time: patience!

Take care!
                    Lynn -30.... something
                    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                    UW Madison, WI Hospital
                    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi Maria

I looked like I was 8 months and I'm a guy. My ankles were the same diameter as my knees.

Movement is key here, slow and easy.Do some walking. It will eventually disappear, it takes time.

The constipation thing is critical on opiates. You cant let things turn to stone, or you can create more problems.
                      Magnesium citrate oral solution works well, it takes about 3-4 hrs and clears things out. (just in case)

Good luck
                      Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Hi Maria

Magnesium citrate oral solution works well, it takes about 3-4 hrs and clears things out. (just in case)

Good luck
                        Ed
                        AKA- colon blow......ughhh.....I recall....vividly, having to drink one the evening before surgery....kicked in after about 2 hrs...and wouldnt stop into the middle of the night...so much for "getting a restful nites sleep" the day before...and then yet another one that morning..on top of an enema...wow..I swear....there was NOTHING left to come out. So, yes, that will clean you out...

....memooorriiesss.....
                        Lynn -30.... something
                        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. I really appreciate it.
                          Marla

Comment

By the way...

How do I add on the information about my surgeries, etc.? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by higostudy View Post
                              How do I add on the information about my surgeries, etc.? Thanks
                              Just start a new thread....add your info to it. When you or anyone else adds to it...or replies, it will show in the New Posts area.
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Working...
                              X