No announcement yet.

Collins, Gene-Mapper, Said to Be Choice for U.S. Research Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps you are unaware that NIH funds health-related research, not earth science research.
    I suspect that Collins will be a breath of fresh air throughout the scientific community with the position he will be holding, not just NIH. And it is surely needed.

Based on this thread, the thread with your "thoughts" on how people are recruited for clinical trials, your "thoughts" on equine husbandry and others, I conclude you are scientifically illiterate.
    The scientific community has their belittlement procedures down cold, don't they, to try and exclude anyone's thought process they don't like. How stifling!

Comment

Ignorance on the wing...

I am adding how the various Federal government agencies do and don't interact to the growing list of stuff you really don't have the first clue about.

Folks don't know what they don't know.

ETA: Ignorance SHOULD be stifled. I can tell this will be coming as some news to you.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
        I suspect that Collins will be a breath of fresh air throughout the scientific community with the position he will be holding, not just NIH. And it is surely needed.
        Your suspicions, because they are based on nothing, are not bourne out. They are your imaginations.

You need to google what some top scientists like Coyne and Pinker and others (if you had a clue who they were of course) are saying about Collins. It is anything but the thought that he is a breath of fresh air. Rather the comments are that Collins is a "deeply, deeply superstitious" man who evangelizes and lets his faith contaminate his science.

Collins paid a price in lost credibilty among scientists with his comments. It's all out there if you know how to google it.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

All I can say it Go Ballet Mom!
          Sharon where did you get your numbers? 93% I don't think so! I've read 76% of physicians believe in God and only 45% of scientists don't believe in God. 41% of scientists are believers. In fact this has changed little since 1916. Also, if you look at the top 100 scientific discoveries you will find 48 of the 100 scientists are or were Jewish, Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, ect.
          Like the others have said have you read the book Collins wrote? Have you ever watched a baby being born or a family member die? You expect none of us to talk about God on this forum, but you sure don't mind throwing out you are agnostic and none of us should talk about praying for our loved ones. I am so happy you are so much smarter than stupid me, a believer in Christ. I have two girls with Scoliosis just like you. I pray to my God about them almost everyday. It makes me feel better and stronger. My daughter that had surgery in May has been on the prayer list at our church for the past six months. Another statistic for you, Christians live longer. I come to this forum looking for advice and support, not to be told I'm stupid for being a believer. Oh, I forgot only non-believers are allowed to talk about God! Stupid, stupid me!
          Becky

Comment

Just curious... why do you think the folks in charge of climate science (i.e., earth scientists) give a crap about what Collins thinks over at a health research agency?

Moreover, scientists, more than most folks, recognize the boundaries of their knowledge. Collins would be the FIRST person to admit he doesn't know squat about climate research and climate scientists would be the FIRST people to admit they don't know squat about health research.

Isn't it funny how doubt about climate change usually correlates with certain other beliefs. That is more than a coincidence and is very instructive. Lots of "geniuses" out there!

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

What can you say? Words fail.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Isn't it funny how doubt about climate change usually correlates with certain other beliefs. That is more than a coincidence and is very instructive. Lots of "geniuses" out there!
                Probably because we think for ourselves and aren't into "groupthink".

Groupthink occurs when groups are highly cohesive and when they are under considerable pressure to make a quality decision.
                Negative outcomes Some negative outcomes of groupthink include:
                Examining few alternatives
                Not being critical of each other's ideas
                Not examining early alternatives
                Not seeking expert opinion
                Being highly selective in gathering information
                Not having contingency plans

Symptoms Some symptoms of groupthink are:
                Having an illusion of invulnerability
                Rationalizing poor decisions
                Believing in the group's morality
                Sharing stereotypes which guide the decision
                Exercising direct pressure on others
                Not expressing your true feelings
                Maintaining an illusion of unanimity
                Using mindguards to protect the group from negative information

Comment

Relating to AGW, I would agree 100%

Consensus (equipoise) is not a compelling scientific argument for or against anything.

CD AKA "Maybe the only registered democrat that thinks the theory of AGW has serious flaws"

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    Just curious... why do you think the folks in charge of climate science (i.e., earth scientists) give a crap about what Collins thinks over at a health research agency?
                    I think it is equally absurd that you think FC's role at the NIH will include scientific discoveries in the areas of the "natural world on a quantum level and the inevitability of human evolution".

Maybe he will create a new division of quantum divinity.

As for his religion "contaminating his science", I think that FCs peer reviewed publications, over 400, in the field of genetics, molecular biology and cancer speaks for itself. All of which came after his conversion to religion.

Comment

Wow, now I'm an evil genius. How funny!
                      Nope, not genius. I think you are a pawn in the glorious plan of God to convert Sharon.

Comment

How ironic that you claim to think for yourself! Precisely the opposite.

Rather than "groupthink" it's "groupevidence," something you appear to be unacquainted with and uninterested in when making your "points."

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
                          I think it is equally absurd that you think FC's role at the NIH will include scientific discoveries in the areas of the "natural world on a quantum level and the inevitability of human evolution".

Maybe he will create a new division of quantum divinity.
                          I didn't say he would use that point to contaminate his science when running NIH. He uses other points.

I cite that as something dopey he is forced to say publicly as a result of his beliefs.

As for his religion "contaminating his science", I think that FCs peer reviewed publications, over 400, in the field of genetics, molecular biology and cancer speaks for itself. All of which came after his conversion to religion.
                          Yes, the conversion when he saw three frozen waterfalls. Clearly, anything can be symbolic of anything to a superstitious mind such as his.

Oh and I need to correct something... apparently he supports embryonic stem cell research as I understand (though still need to confirm). That is a point in his favor about NOT letting his religious beliefs contaminate his science. So he either doesn't believe "souls" live in petrie dishes or he won't admit he thinks so in public. He has some sense of not losing too much credibility I guess.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Nope, not genius. I think you are a pawn in the glorious plan of God to convert Sharon.
                            Hey, I'm open to gods. Nobody proved there can't be gods though we know enough about anthropology and psychology to know that the present set of gods are human constructs.

Show me the evidence.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Wanted to add that, quantum divinity aside, I'm glad you agree that it is absurd to suggest that the head of one Federal science agency would ever give a hoot about what the head of another unrelated Federal science agency thinks on issues outside their expertise. And I certainly hope you agree that Collins would never suggest he knew enough about climate science to even try to influence the climate guys. Equally, the climate guys would never suggest they knew about health research.

It's almost like some folks think scientists (and surgeons) are complete idiots!

It is breathtaking that it was even suggested and indicates a deep, deep ignorance of how things work in the real world.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Pooka,

So I assume the head of the NIH just sits there in his bubble and never talks to gov't leaders, opinion makers, FUNDERS, other scientists, heads of corporations, the press.....nope, never lets his opinion out to anyone but his direct reports. Yes, that's real world thinking. My thought was that he will cut through the BS of groupthink that is prevalent in science these days just in his regular everyday doings because he has a different perspective. But you have way to much fun trying to ridicule people...instead of trying to understand things.

Comment

Working...
                                X