No announcement yet.

right shoulder blade protruding again?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right shoulder blade protruding again?!

It's been awhile since I posted for myself to complain. I thought I was crazy a few days ago when I looked in the mirror from the side, and noticed my right shoulder blade was sticking out again. I quickly turned to the otherside and noticed the left looked "normal". I paniced of course..took a deep breathe and said to myself "its only in your head" Well, I had a meeting at work yesterday & I sat in a chair that is different than the one at my desk (which has a soft back and has a back support pillow) abd I noticed that my right side touched the back of the chair before the left. I thought ok, maybe Im just sitting a little more to the right, so I adjusted myself and leaned back again...same thing. I couldnt pay attention in my meeting as all I could think about what why it was protruding. After work me and a few of my girlfriends went out to dinner and as we were walking to our table, one friend said "Lynn, you back looks different"....and I just about cried. I blew it off and said that it must be how I was carrying myself. Then, when I got home, I asked Paul to look at my back and be honest...could he tell that the right was sticking out more than the left...he said yes, a little. So, I laid down on the floor, which is hard obviously, and sure enough, when I rolled onto my back it felt like I was laying on a big rock on my right side by the should blade. I lost it! Can something like this just happen? Im worried about the trunk shifting..I think that's what we call it right? As I was lying on the floor the area got really sore and tender to touch...then I thought maybe it was the muscles behind the should blade that were really tense, making it stick out? Could that be a possiblity too? All I know is Im freaked out and really upset about this. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? What was it? What did you do about it & what was the "final outcome"? Ughhh.....Im at work now..and cant concentrate! Help!?

Lynn
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Hi Lynn...

I've occasionally heard from others who have reported that some amount of rotation returned within the first year of surgery. I don't know what causes it.

When is your next appointment?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

July 20th. I was thinking of calling today to voice my concerns.....but I dont know where that will get me...I guess I wont know until I try.
      Lynn -30.... something
      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynne, so sorry to hear this has happened, but if some rotation has returned, hopefully, as you fuse, it shouldn't go too much further? I too, suspect I have a little bit of rotation because when I came home, I had a hollow where my rib hump used to be and I was thrilled. But that hollow is now a very slight lump. Probably not even visible yet, but I can feel it. I figure if this is as bad as it gets before the fusion holds it, I can live with it.

Let's hope both our fusions are rapid ones!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for sharing Jennifer. I missed my doc's PA call yesterday & wasnt able to reach her after that. Im going to be calling back soon....
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

My daughter's shoulder blades were completely flat right after surgery, but within the first year her right shoulder also rotated out. However, at her one year appt., everything was just fine. Not sure if this is right, but I feel like she's "settled" into her new body. Immediately after surgery, she gained 2.75" but has since lost .25". She's stabilized now from what I can tell.

I would like to hear what your doc has to say. I will also address this at the 2 year appt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
              My daughter's shoulder blades were completely flat right after surgery, but within the first year her right shoulder also rotated out. However, at her one year appt., everything was just fine. Not sure if this is right, but I feel like she's "settled" into her new body. Immediately after surgery, she gained 2.75" but has since lost .25". She's stabilized now from what I can tell.

I would like to hear what your doc has to say. I will also address this at the 2 year appt.
              when you say after a year the right rotated out but at her check up everything was okay...what do you mean? I would assume that if there is rotation something isnt right.....or am I wrong w/that assumption? I know what you mean w/settling into your new body...Im still getting used to it myself...but something like this seems different to me. To have mine, like your daughters, be straight out of surgery, then all of the sudden, rotate...that doesnt seem like it should happen just because. I dont know...Im a little disappointed and sad about the whole thing as I have been doing really really well & this kind of through me off as I wasnt told post op rotation would be a possibilty & what would it mean if it did happen. Does it mean mean the fusion is not healing right and the spine is curving again, does it mean its the start of "trunk shift"...or what have you? I just called my docs office back...as I didnt hear back from my earlier call from this morning, and it seems as tho his PA is gone for the weekend already. Nice.....blew off again! "Customer service" is not their strong point Im finding out. Ughhh.....
              Last edited by LynnMarie74; 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM.
              Lynn -30.... something
              UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

That is very interesting! Keep us posted, Lynn!!!

Comment

Shewww...they didnt forget about me afterall. Doc Tribus says it's probably either some nerve that runs in the neck behind the shoulder blade that has an issue, a muscle behind the blade, but wants do to an XRay asap to rule out fusion issues in that area of the spine and/or rotation. I dont seem to have pain in the area unless Im trying to force it back into place..dont ask...I tried out of desparation! I have however been having alot of "tenseness in my upper right back as of late....is that related, who knows? He's confident the fusion is fine, but wants to be sure...Im going in on Thursday the 28th. I swear you guys...Im going to be glowing soon from all of the xrays. How many is too many and in what time frame? Im truly starting to worry about this...even tho I joke about it. ughhh.....
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Well, give us an update on what the xrays say Lynne. Glad your Dr. got back to you...mine was four weeks getting back to me!

I am actually not overly surprised that there is sometimes a bit of "settling" to do, afterall, it's only the hardware holding it at present, until the fusion is complete. Did they use BMP on you? If so, your fusion should be well underway.

I know it's a bit of a worry though, when you see something going backwards after all you've been through.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                      Well, give us an update on what the xrays say Lynne. Glad your Dr. got back to you...mine was four weeks getting back to me!

I am actually not overly surprised that there is sometimes a bit of "settling" to do, afterall, it's only the hardware holding it at present, until the fusion is complete. Did they use BMP on you? If so, your fusion should be well underway.

I know it's a bit of a worry though, when you see something going backwards after all you've been through.
                      What is a BMP? Whatever it is, sounds good, hope they used it! lol
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

When we went for the one year post op, her xrays were fine. The hardware hadn't moved at all and everything looked great. I'm not sure exactly when I noticed the shoulder, but I didn't get too concerned about it and I didn't want to worry Sheena or make her go through anymore stuff. Other than the shoulder, everything else is perfect, back is nice and straight, no rib hump or lumbar hump, no trunk shift.

BMP is bone morphogenic protein, it's used to speed up the fusion. It converts normal cells into bone forming cells. It's not usually used on kids but Dr. Lenke uses it on all of his patients, even adolescents. He used it on Sheena so I feel confident the fusion is good and solid.

I really feel like everything is ok but it would be good to make sure. I'll email Dr. Lenke's office next week and see what they say.
                        Last edited by Sherie; 05-22-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Sheri--thanks for the info...that term doesnt sound familiar but I guess that doesnt mean that it wasnt used. He very well may have told my husband/myself post op and I just dont recall. Also, thanks for explaining about her shoulder......I guess I will know more on Thursday!
                          Lynn -30.... something
                          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Lynn,

My daughter is 4 1/2 years post-op and her left shoulder blade still sticks out. She has had many x-rays since surgery and everything looks great.

Mary Lou
                            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
                              It's been awhile since I posted for myself to complain. I thought I was crazy a few days ago when I looked in the mirror from the side, and noticed my right shoulder blade was sticking out again. ...(
                              Lynn,

The serratus anterior muscle holds the scapula down toward the ribs, and keeps it from "winging out". Much of the burning pain people report here between the top of the shoulder blades can be attributed to rhomboid overstretching caused by serratus weakness. It makes sense one side would be weak after the correction they achieved with you.

I saw where you were starting PT, and I'm sure they'll address it if it applies. Hang in there and don't assume a moving curve.

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X