No announcement yet.

Psychological Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 47 and haven't had surgery, although it was recommended. The surgeon told my parents that without surgery I would probably be in a wheelchair before I was 30, not due to paralysis but, because of reduction in lung function.

I've never regretted my decision, the only restriction I've found scoliosis puts on my life is that I can't reach the top shelf in the supermarket, because I'm a few cm shorter than I would otherwise be. Otherwise I think I'm as fit as most people my age, maybe fitter than many.

I've done a little Alexander technique, other than that I've just been "sensible" about my back - no high heels, think carefully about how I lift things etc.

I agree that having surgery is a very personal decision.

Comment

Just a comment on Octavia's last posting - regarding the person you saw in a wheelchair w/scoliosis. Most people you see in wheelchairs w/scoliosis do not have ideopathic scoliosis. In most cases, they have other diagnoses that have caused weakness/paralysis and this imbalance often leads to scoliosis. Polio and quadruplegia are examples. N

Comment

Re: Psychological Effects

Originally posted by Lexy
        Has anyone here ever felt like a monster. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 13. I used to look in the mirror and hit myself in the back. I still to this day(I'm 28 now) have a low self esteem from this. I never wear bathing suits or form fitting shirts. I hate it when people touch me on the back. I feel deformed. I am scheduled to have surgery in November of this year. The only reason I am doing this is because of the pain and the fact that the curvature is progressing. I have a double curve with a rotation. I procastinated for a long time because I was scared of the risks associated with surgery. It seems to good to be true to have a back that looks normal. Hopefully the surgery will help my self esteem as well. I've read alot the psychological impact that scoliosis has on a person. It is amazing, I never thought my confidence issues were directly related to having scoliosis.
        This is totally me! It helped A LOT when I found out that a colleague's wife has almost the same scoliosis I do (her curves are worse, but my kyphosis is worse) and the three of us talk about it a lot. We even have the same surgeon!

I think part of it is thinking we are the only ones like this - so coming here really helps too! Can we post pictures on here? I would happily post a picture of myself (clothed, of course) if that would make someone else feel better!
        Last edited by cowprintrabbit; 01-25-2005, 05:19 PM.
        Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
        Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
        fusion T5-L3
        Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

job opportunities

I am just 25 and I have lost 2 really nice job opportunities due my scoliosis problem (32 deg. thoracic/24 deg. lumbar). I have passed entry exames for the Brazilian Navy (IT/System Analyst official) and the Brazilian Federal Police (Writ Officer). In both cases I got cut when went to the Medical Exam.

Even though both jobs seem to require an athlete body, the actual positions are mostly burocratic. I felt compelled to go to court to try to obtain a judicial order forcing the latest one (Fed Police) to accept me...

I just feel frustrated, I´ve spent a whole year studying to pass the entry exams
          -------------------------
          Henrique Seganfredo
          Joinville, SC, Brazil

Comment

Re: job opportunities

Originally posted by HenriqueS
            I am just 25 and I have lost 2 really nice job opportunities due my scoliosis problem (32 deg. thoracic/24 deg. lumbar). I have passed entry exames for the Brazilian Navy (IT/System Analyst official) and the Brazilian Federal Police (Writ Officer). In both cases I got cut when went to the Medical Exam.

Even though both jobs seem to require an athlete body, the actual positions are mostly burocratic. I felt compelled to go to court to try to obtain a judicial order forcing the latest one (Fed Police) to accept me...

I just feel frustrated, I´ve spent a whole year studying to pass the entry exams
            I can sympathize, mine kept me from accepting a full-ride ROTC Engineering scholarship that I won :-(

On the up side, I would probably be in Iraq right now, trying to build bridges while not getting blown up.

I hope you get your judicial order!
            Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
            Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
            fusion T5-L3
            Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Lexy, I am 36 had surgery when I was 12 for scoliosis - I have had no problme and a very normal life - thank goodness my parents did this for me... You need to do this for yourself girl - don't wait another minute ... It's a fixable "problem" Good Luck!

Comment

Henrique,

Isn't that discrimination? I mean, you didn't get the jobs that you really wanted because you have scoliosis. I'm sure you can do the job well if they gave you a chance. I understand your frustration. I really think you got discriminated.

Letty

Comment

I do really think it is a sort of discrimination. Mostly because my scoliosis is far from having to be treated surgically and it does not interfere in the duties I was supposed to perform.

Anyway, they have some regulation that dictates all the pathologies that will cut out the candidates, and there it is stated clearly that structural scoliosis over 10 degrees is one of the reason to be cut. -A real pain in the ass.
                  Henrique Seganfredo
                  Joinville, SC, Brazil

Comment

Which sort of surgery you had? How many degrees you had? Which kind of scoliosis you had??? Can you perform any sort of physical activities?

I am considering going to a surgery if this issue keeps me losing good job opportunities...but I really wanted to know about the risks and consequences...

Originally posted by swilkers
                    Lexy, I am 36 had surgery when I was 12 for scoliosis - I have had no problme and a very normal life - thank goodness my parents did this for me... You need to do this for yourself girl - don't wait another minute ... It's a fixable "problem" Good Luck!
                    Henrique Seganfredo
                    Joinville, SC, Brazil

Comment

Confidence Issues

I can understand that you have confidence issues with Scoliosis, at least I did. I live in Florida where everyone wears tight clothes, however, you have to remember one thing, you are still beautiful. You are unique, not a freak, we all have our flaws... and I am not saying that you are flawed. As time passes you will learn that you have gone through a lot of things other people have not. That is what makes you stronger... everyone has a story, my suggestion is to be proud of who you are. You are the same as everyone else, and do not let anyone (including yourself) tell you anything different.

Comment

The Psychological Factor

Hi Bonnie55 ~ Kind of glad you opened this older thread from 2005 .. the concerns are timeless. I'm well seasoned (59) and learned long ago not to care about the cosmetic concerns by putting my condition into perspective. Always there will be folks who appear more physically pleasing, and always there will be folks who appear less pleasing - and by my early 20's, i cared not about my deformity (this may be more difficult today with the worship of beauty upon the silver screen). Will confess however to always and forever wondering what it may feel like to have a strong straight back and more physical ability. Had a glimpse of that just a few evenings ago (out of brace) that lasted about fifteen minutes (a good and awesome feeling). I'm currently bracing with a PRB and incorporating a very few Schroth exercises. So, i guess the point is - bracing can be good for adults in terms of both pain reduction and postural rehabilitation. Not for all of course - but for many, and i have also found psychological benefit - as it is not so much about how we look, as it is about how we feel. Good thread this - informative sharing.
                        Last edited by mamamax; 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X