FLAtbACK REVISION SURGERY Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FLAtbACK REVISION SURGERY Confirmed

i have been diagonosed by 3 alternate ortho drs that i need a flatback spine salvage sugery and there are many types of procedures they do depends on your case.

My recent odd symptoms have caused me to go to a neuro dr because i have strong inovluntary jerking of limbs and involuntary voice projections asleep or awake, even voice and have trouble swallowing. Hiccups whihc are related only if i try to eat something

I was told this can come from complications from the severe nerve damge just discovered in my last MRI 3 dys ago.

So i have put off the recision surgery for 2 yrs now when first told i needed it at 40yo now 42 and its progressing and causing more pain and wierd involuntary body spams while asleep or awake.

Ive been out of work )sales work on commission) on FMLA for over a wk now and once i decide to do the surgery with Bridwell at U of MA id haveto be prepared to MOVE give my dog to soemone to take care of , be in the hospital anywhere from 3-6 mos i have a dog am single and have no one to do my banking calls to LTD for my compnay mail checks etc.

I also have learned that a single revision process may not be the end it could require more surgery so im praying for wisdom to either stick with the debilitating lifestyle go no where all i can manage is walk the old dog and immeditaely take to a recliner to relieve preessure , gianed weight though i havent eaten i dont have a taste for food for months now. Im living off yogurt drinks and fat free ice cream everything else makes me nauseaus.

Swithced my meds from 10mg/325 percocets to dilaudid whcih gave me headaches and now on OPANA 10 mg 4 times or more a day, soma 350 6 pills a day, avenza morphine 90 mg 1x a day and 10mg of valium to stop the jerking so i can rest. NONE works I was once a tv actress and now wihtout sleep and all this pain i feel and look in my 50s no offesne.

I am back on a walker have done a total of 13 epidurals and spine blocks on facet joints and 2 RF radio frequency abaltions to kills some nerves that cause pain. NOTHING works. I tokd my dr 2 dys ago im not going to take this anynore and i do havea a gun and told him its better off dad then lving with intractable pain. He was worried and said we will do whatever it takes to ease this.

I wanna know why me, successful gymnast since 4 yo and after scoliosis surgery stoped my gymnastics i went into acting now i cant stand staight and look up im face down with flatback . I mean GOD gimme a break already.

If they said one revision surery would do it and give a min of 30% improvment i say go on, BUT they tell me often multiple osteotmies are often needed when you are fused past L5 and have ssevere DDD facet aftrhosis, bla bla, as a Chritsian i wont pull the trigger BUT i cannot wait to die and go on the the Lord, He has the answers we cant figure out and i cant wait to ask why....for ALL OF US
    gnite

Hi...

I can't tell from your post, whether you're willing to give revision surgery a try. If you want to communicate with a lot of other people who have gone through these same surgeries, you can find them at: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

revision surgery

I'm so sorry you are going through all that. I hope
      God will guide you to the right decision. You have done the right thing in getting 3 surgical opinions. It may take going through it all again to get to the good side. Do you have family support? I am interested because I may be looking at the same as you and it is hard to think about after going through recovery. I know how you feel! I wish you luck in your path to health. Keep us updated.
      Kristy
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
      X