I'm Alive:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Alive:)

Im back ...sort of ...it's hard to get to my commputer. Surgery was the 28ths of APril...I lost 3 units of blood (I believe) and had only 2 on reserve. The doc says in the 300 surgeries of this type he's never seen anyone lose so much blood. I had a ventilator for 3 days so couldn't talk (I guess I was trying sign language but no one understood me. I was in ICU for 5 days. Then I retruned to the regular unit. My progress was VERY slow moving because of INTENSE pain! LIke I didn't imagine was possilbe. They were ready to send me to nursing home but I didn't want to go. PT said that she would consider me going home if I could walk up 4 stairs. They looked like the Himalayas but by golly - I made it up those stairs in record time. then she told me I had to go back down - I was flabbergasted (I guess I thought I'd just sit on the stairs my whole life (he he). So down we went and back doesn the hall. I am now home and am TOTALLY amazed at how spoiled I am. My hubby is so careful and stressed with me. My kids are so helpful it's absoluttely amazing. I don't think I'd be doing so well without my family around me. My mom went home on Saturday after she helped my hubby settle in. I just am amazed at how careful and helpful my family is! THis really lets you know who you can count on in life.

I hope everyone elses' surgery went well. I've missed you all. I'm tired now so am signing off. I'll check in again in a few days. Sorry for the sporadic information. Take good care everyone!

(Sorry if my typing was off - I'm wearing glasses and can't see as well without my contacts.)

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
    Im back ...sort of ...it's hard to get to my commputer. Surgery was the 28ths of APril...I lost 3 units of blood (I believe) and had only 2 on reserve. The doc says in the 300 surgeries of this type he's never seen anyone lose so much blood. I had a ventilator for 3 days so couldn't talk (I guess I was trying sign language but no one understood me. I was in ICU for 5 days. Then I retruned to the regular unit. My progress was VERY slow moving because of INTENSE pain! LIke I didn't imagine was possilbe. They were ready to send me to nursing home but I didn't want to go. PT said that she would consider me going home if I could walk up 4 stairs. They looked like the Himalayas but by golly - I made it up those stairs in record time. then she told me I had to go back down - I was flabbergasted (I guess I thought I'd just sit on the stairs my whole life (he he). So down we went and back doesn the hall. I am now home and am TOTALLY amazed at how spoiled I am. My hubby is so careful and stressed with me. My kids are so helpful it's absoluttely amazing. I don't think I'd be doing so well without my family around me. My mom went home on Saturday after she helped my hubby settle in. I just am amazed at how careful and helpful my family is! THis really lets you know who you can count on in life.

I hope everyone elses' surgery went well. I've missed you all. I'm tired now so am signing off. I'll check in again in a few days. Sorry for the sporadic information. Take good care everyone!

(Sorry if my typing was off - I'm wearing glasses and can't see as well without my contacts.)
    Thanks for posting....sorry that you are feeling so crappy. And the blood loss....I hear you sister!!! You did have Dr Tribus, didnt you? Maybe Im confused w/someone else now...lol. Only reason why I say that is becuz he must have forgotten about the 6 units of blood that I lost during my surgery this past Jan! LOL! So, Im not proud of this, but I beat you! lol Really tho....continue to take care of yourself and let your family pamper you. You deserve it and need it right now. Hapy Mothers Day to you as well. Post more when you are able........I will be thinking of you!!

Lynn
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Sorry to hear you had such a very hard time. But great to have you back online! That must mean you're improving because sitting isn't easy at first.

Yes, it is amazing how your family come to the fore. It sure does make you one very appreciative, and loved human being!

I must remember to take each one of my family aside and thank them properly. Especially my very loving, hard working partner, who's been my rock.

I think we come out of this surgery far more appreciative of what we've got than ever before.

I hope your recovery continues smoothly AS, you deserve it after such a rocky start. I gather your surgery achieved what it was meant to do?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

HI Always,

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now. Sorry that it was so rough in the beginning. Yes, this surgery sure lets you know who you can count on. You let them spoil you now; you need it. The time will come soon enough when you can do things on your own. In the mean time, get plenty of rest.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Always,

Its great to hear you got through the surgery and are on the road to recovery.Can I ask did you get a reduction in the size of your curves?

Amanda

Comment

I'm glad to hear you made it through and pushed to go home instead of a nursing home. I found I did much better in my own surroundings. Let everyone spoil you now as you deserve it. You are getting to do the hard part of recovering. Good luck
            2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
            surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
            Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
            5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
            5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
            6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
            (left open with just clear dressing)
            6/6/08 recleaned and closed
            3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Working...
            X