Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
    Becky,

Can you refresh my memory as to what Carolyn's issues were?
    Carolyn is doing fantastic right now. You would never know she had major surgery only 2 months ago.

I'm not 100% sure what the problem is with Carolyn's blood but it doesn't flow very easily. LOL! I always knew her fingers tend to be cold & I used to joke that she had no blood circulation to her fingers...now I'm thinking that is more accurate! Plus, she clots super fast. I know in the past at our regular doctor office they barely got any blood with just a finger prick but we didn't think much of it.

Then when she went to give the blood work for her pre-op -- they couldn't get it flowing enough to get her a vial full much less 2 or 3. She had to make arm circles, they put a warm compress on it it, put her arm down to use gravity and basically the lab tech was using EVERY technique in the book to try to just get the blood going enough to get it flowing enough to fill the vials. She did eventually get all the vials she needed but it was WORK. It was a production and it watching that, I was SO glad that it worked out we couldn't donate. I really don't think she would have physically been able to do it.

Carolyn has never been diagnoised with anything for this and I know you always hear about people who have the problem of not clotting but I never thought the opposite could be a problem.

Also, after this Carolyn herself said "now I know I physically can't donate blood even if I were the right weight". I'm sure if it they absolutely HAD to get her blood for whatever reason, they would figure out a way but giving blood won't be something she voluntarily does due to knowing how difficult it is.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Wow--you're right--this was a blessing in disguise to find this out prior to surgery!

I'm so happy for you that she is doing so well--I hope Paula does as well.

I had asked her GP to do some kind of clotting test and he did order one (prothrombin time--I think) b/c of what I had read on the forums. That won't be done for another week or so with some other tests as some of those tests they want done within 2 weeks of the surgery.

Her GP has been great with all of this! I've asked him for an EKG and he did it. Pretty much any test I've asked for, he's done.

Her allergist is stepping up to the plate, too, and has been very good. He will be doing a lung function test on 5/20 (he does that every time he has an exam with her). He also has forwarded her medical allergies to the surgeon's office.

So I just have to trust that these folks will all do their jobs. They're good about keeping me in the loop (as it should be), but I find I have to really pay attention to the correspondence. At one point a test was left out of one piece of correspondence, but when I contacted the GP's office, they corrected the order.

Thanks again, guys!

Comment

blood

Hi all,
        My son is having his surgery 0n the 23rd and has donated 2 units of blood a week apart. His blood is thick too and flows very slow which they think is great. Today we found out that they also plan to recover the blood he loses during surgery, filter it and return him his red blood cells during the surgery. They also said he should continue with the iron and a high protien diet for several weeks after he comes home. he probably womnt even need the blood he donated. all the best to everyone !
        pre-op
        18 years old
        thoracic curve 51
        lumbar curve 48

Comment

When we use to give blood at work my one friend was question if she was 115 lbs becase she was only 5 feet tall. She told them she was 120. They said they don't allow anyone under 115 to donate blood. I guess it is different depending on where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy'smom View Post
            When we use to give blood at work my one friend was question if she was 115 lbs becase she was only 5 feet tall. She told them she was 120. They said they don't allow anyone under 115 to donate blood. I guess it is different depending on where you live.

Most places won't allow you to donate unless you are 115 pounds. However, when donating blood for your own surgery, the rules are very different. My 17 y.o. can't donate blood at a blood drive because she is less than 100 pounds, yet she donated two units for her surgery over 4 years ago when she weighed maybe 85-90 pounds.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

pmsmom

Although A- blood is not as "popular" than some others, you are right...there should be plenty for your daughter. I am A- also and donted 2 units of my own pre surgery.(I am bigger than your daughter at about 130/5 '5-sh at the time) During surgery, I lost 4 units & obviously needed more than my own 2. A few hours after surgery, in recovery, I required another unit, and the day after, I still needed one more. So 6 total. I think we just assume its "better" to use our own for some reason...as that was my train of thought. I then realized, A- blood is A- blood & the way the donors are screened & so on, I knew I was safe. Good luck with everything!!!

Lynn
              Lynn -30.... something
              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
              UW Madison, WI Hospital
              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
              X