Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading for revision on May 11 and scared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading for revision on May 11 and scared.

Hi,
    I had my first full-back fusion done three years ago by Dr. Balderston in Philadelphia. Two years out, my rod broke. Since then, there has been more breakage, my spine has moved, and I am in pain. I am leaning forward and to the right.
    Dr. Balderston no longer does the fusion or revision surgery. He now specializes in disc replacement.
    I am going to be operated on at Johns Hopkins by Dr. Khaled Kebaish on May 11. He seems wonderful and very optimistic. My anxiety is beginning to increase. I am starting to have memories of the previous surgery, the pain, the hallucinating on morphine, etc.
    Anyway, now on top of everything, there is the Swine flu to worry about!
    Thanks for listening.
    Marla

Hi Maria! Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you need revision surgery, but it sounds like you will be in good hands...

I'm sure others who have had revisions will post and let you know a little more of what to expect. Best wishes -- and prayers-- for a very successful surgery. I'll add you onto our "unofficial calendar" thread-- April, May, June 2009 surgeries. If you read the first post there, it lists the surgeries that are happening plus lets you know how to add your surgery to the REAL official calendar if you want to. Take care! Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Good luck Maria,

I'm sorry that you have to go through this all over again. I hope all goes well, and keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I’m terribly sorry to read this, Marla. Sounds like pseudarthrosis occurred…my worst fear. At least your surgeon is optimistic. That’s reassuring. I hope this surgery will be less stressful than your first. You’re in my prayers.

Comment

Working...
        X