Who has kept their brace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has kept their brace?

For those of you who have had surgery, or gotten a new brace, who has kept their old ones?

Back in the day I kept mine, not sure why, but I did. I know I used to use my old braces for science fairs in my school. I, of course, would do my project on scoliosis.

My braces were actually at my fathers house until he sold the house and asked what I wanted to do with them. Since I was about 10 years out of wearing a brace I just said to throw them out.

So... Who has kept them after they no longer needed them?
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

I still have my daughter's Milwaukee and Boston braces. Why? I don't really know. Jamie will be five years post-op in December, so I haven't kept them nearly as long as you kept yours (yet)!

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi!
      I kept my three body braces for a couple years, but then my Mom asked why I was keeping them. I didn't really know...all they were doing was taking up space in my closet!! lol So, one day I finally took some pics and threw them out.. I didn't really want to but eh, I can't tote them around forever! lol
      Diagnosed in '06'
      Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
      Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
      Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
      Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
      Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
      I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Brace

I was able to throw mine in a big fire outside my home. It was great! Not sure why it felt so good to do that, but I was glad to get rid of it.
        Kristi

Comment

I still have 2 left. I would never get rid of them just in case. Years ago I had major spasms, and had some relief just by putting the brace on.

Since I grew 4 inches after surgery,so my old brace is 4 inches short! LOL I still hanging on to it.

You never know if you will need a flight suit.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I kept my Milwalkee brace for about thirty years and three moves. I showed it to my children in hopes that they would never act superficially about appearances. It wasn't that I planned to show them or have it be a lesson, but that's what naturally happened.

Then I tossed it in out on a whim while cleaning the basement two years ago. I panicked a little aferwards, as if I'd thrown away a part of myself. I am going in for surgery tomorrow and I am pretty sure I will get a recovery brace. I will not keep that one when I'm done with it though.
            -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
            Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
            Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
            Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

For reasons that I can't begin to understand, I keep my recovery brace in the trunk of my car.
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I was never braced (still want to give those who contributing to my loosing the window of opportunity a taste of their own medicine)

But, had I had one, I'd definitely have turned it into some sort of art project. One day if I have a couple of thousand dollars to spare, I may get a 3D model printed out of my spine using my scans... heh. (or maybe i should sneak in veterbrae at a time when I have budgeted project at work...hmm..)
                30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                2005 - T50, L31
                bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Originally posted by Frustrated View Post
                  I was able to throw mine in a big fire outside my home. It was great! Not sure why it felt so good to do that, but I was glad to get rid of it.
                  Kristi
                  That's exactly what I always wanted to do!
                  But I didn't. I kept it in my parents' house until they moved out... and then my husband made me keep it and then I finally threw it out in the trash when we moved to a smaller place. Nothing ceremonially, I regret.
                  Living life after a Milwaukee...
                  And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Working...
                  X